PCI slot next to AGP for P4 boards

Old October 4th 03, 09:21 PM
John Smith

Default PCI slot next to AGP for P4 boards

Does the PCI slot next to the AGP slot on the newer P4 motherboards with the
Intel 865 or 875 chipsets (Springdale or Canterwood) still share an IRQ like
on the older PIII mainboards (BX chipsets, etc) thus rendering it basically
not useable?

Thanks, JS

Old October 4th 03, 11:05 PM
Martin Eriksson

"JAD" wrote in message
k.net...
actually its modern ASPI that helps make it more useful but as a rule I

don't use it unless necessary.

Well, I'm sure you just made a typo, but it's probably ACPI you mean...

Also, APIC can help stuff too by providing up to 255 IRQ's.

(ACPI = Advanced Configuration and Power Interface)
(APIC = Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller)

/M

Old October 4th 03, 11:33 PM
Joe

I think John Smith's original question was intended to be:

"Is the PCI slot next to the AGP slot still hardwired to share an Interrupt
with the AGP slot on the new P4 Intel chipset motherboards?"

I'm not sure that APIC could resolve this issue if the new P4 boards are
like the older P3 boards but I could be wrong.

Anyone else here using that adjacent PCI slot successfully with a card that
requires a separate IRQ on a P4 system?

"Martin Eriksson" wrote in message
k.net...

Old October 4th 03, 11:49 PM
JT

I do believe you mean ACPI, not the old SCSI layer which is ASPI.

Normally should have no problem with the first slot anymore, as long as you
are using a more modern OS.

JT

Old October 4th 03, 11:56 PM
JAD

yes I typo'd
I have tried to use the #1 pci With a P4B266 asus board (not new /not old) with a sound card (CSBA2P resource hog) and it was a no
go with an AGP ATI AIW vid card.

"Martin Eriksson" wrote in message ...
k.net...

Old October 5th 03, 12:30 AM
Shep©

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 20:21:29 GMT, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "John Smith"
wrote :

Does the PCI slot next to the AGP slot on the newer P4 motherboards with the
Intel 865 or 875 chipsets (Springdale or Canterwood) still share an IRQ like
on the older PIII mainboards (BX chipsets, etc) thus rendering it basically
not useable?

Thanks, JS

Most commonly,Yes.

There are by design only 4 hardware IRQs on PC Mother Boards and this
cannot ever be changed whilst PCs,"Rule-The-Roost" as it's part of the
badly designed and original 2086 specs that are a legacy that we all
suffer :/

Quote:
Q:
If you could design/re-design the PC chip and had no limitations and
money and market forces against you where would you start?"
A:
I'd work for Motorola.

Ex IBM micro chip engineer.

This is not now and has not been a limitation for Microsoft Operating
systems since the introduction in Win 95B of PCI IRQ Bus Master
Sharing.

The problems occur when hardware device makers are too lazy,cheap or
too stupid to make their devices comply to these protocols.

I have,and on purpose,installed devices on PCI slot 1 against the AGP
slot to test the robustness of the IRQ sharing of the devices.Some
passed.Some screwed up the system thus proving my premiss.

I have even(And because of my masochism) installed 3 sound cards and
got them running.Windows no likely this(Heh.Heh)

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in jmx to reply
Old October 5th 03, 03:38 PM
Richard Hopkins

"Michael Cecil" wrote in message...
Mostly a moot point these days with so many video cards needing that
space for their active cooling solutions.

Indeedy. Makes me wonder how long it'll be before board manufacturers start
leaving a space between the AGP and upper PCI slot for this very reason.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Out with the old & in with the new at www.dabsxchange.com

Old October 5th 03, 05:54 PM
Skid

"Richard Hopkins" wrote in message

"Michael Cecil" wrote in message...
Mostly a moot point these days with so many video cards needing that
space for their active cooling solutions.

Indeedy. Makes me wonder how long it'll be before board manufacturers

start
leaving a space between the AGP and upper PCI slot for this very reason.
--

Don't hold your breath. The current trend seems to be putting audio, LAN,
etc, on the board, which means fewer people need multiple PCI slots. I can

Now I have five PCI slots, and only use two. (SCSI and NIC.)

Space constraints on mobo layouts being what they are, it's simpler to jam
them together and figure there's another available if the first doesn't fit.
Otherwise they'd have to eliminate a slot, and that would make the specs
look less attractive to compare-by-features shoppers.