Hard drive seen as UDF or CDROM???

Old June 25th 03, 11:13 PM
res0r89p

Default Hard drive seen as UDF or CDROM???

Hi,
I couldn't find any Part. Magic 8 (Win 2000) forums, so I'm trying here.
After installing a new 80 gig drive (3rd in system) and resizing it with
Part. Magic 8, I got a message saying I had "inserted a drive that needed a
UDF reader", and whether to install a Reader.
In My Computer, the drive-1st partition only- has a UDF icon on it and
when I double-click, it asks to install a UDF reader. I can explore the
drive and save to it. Any idea what's going on?? The other partitions on
this "UDF" drive are fine. Also, the affected partition gives me an Autoplay
option when I right click on it, as if it were a CDrom drive..
Peter Cowie

Old June 26th 03, 12:30 AM
res0r89p

But the drive that Windows and PM8 is seeing as a CDrom (actually as a CDR,
because it allows me to write to it) is not a CDrom drive, but a hard drive!
I disconnected my CDrom and CDRW drives (one of each) during the hard drive
install, since I would have needed 5 IDE ports.
I've tried changing the drive to Active, logical etc, but it's still being
seen as a CDrom drive and treated as a recordable drive.?? It also correctly
reports the size of the drive(actually the Partition, since all other
partitions are normal).
Peter Cowie
Subject: Hard drive seen as UDF or CDROM???
From: "res0r89p"
Date: 25/06/03 15:13 Pacific Daylight Time
Hi,
I couldn't find any Part. Magic 8 (Win 2000) forums, so I'm trying here.
After installing a new 80 gig drive (3rd in system) and resizing it with
Part. Magic 8, I got a message saying I had "inserted a drive that needed

UDF reader", and whether to install a Reader.
In My Computer, the drive-1st partition only- has a UDF icon on it and
when I double-click, it asks to install a UDF reader. I can explore the
drive and save to it. Any idea what's going on?? The other partitions on
this "UDF" drive are fine. Also, the affected partition gives me an

Autoplay
option when I right click on it, as if it were a CDrom drive..
Peter Cowie

Something weird is going on there because UDF is the Universal Disk Format

used
by CD writing software. -

Easy CD Creator creates a disk that can be used in the same way as a

CD-ROM
disk is. CD-ROM disks are read-only, so you can't write to CDs created

with
Easy CD Creator. Even if you copy the files from the CD to the hard drive,

they
will be set to read-only. You have to right-click on each file, click
Properties, and then uncheck the Read-only box.

However, the Universal Disk Format (UDF) allows you to write to CDs in the

same
way as you can write to floppy disks, but you need to use software that

can use
this format. Adaptec's Direct CD is a program that provides this facility.

Note
that the computer to which you want to transport the database has to have
CD-writing software installed on it that can handle UDF.

It is not advisable to access a database directly from a recorded CD,

because
database software writes to many different records in various parts of the
file, and, because of the nature of CDs, accessing the information will be

very
slow as the blocks of data are copied to the hard drive, Windows finds the
relevant data within them, and then brings it to the screen. The best

method is
to copy all of the files to the hard drive, work on it there, and then

copy the
modified version back to the CD. This method is especially effective when

using
CD-R disks that can only be written to once.

Eric,
PC Buyer Beware!
http://www.legge40.freeserve.co.uk/BuyerBeware.htm