Advice on MSI NX6600LE-TD256E

Old December 12th 05, 12:08 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default Advice on MSI NX6600LE-TD256E

I'm putting together an Athlon64 system, which is a big deal for me
seeing as how I only put systems together every 3-4 years! Anyway, I'm
not really what you would call a gamer, but I'd like to leave the
option open just in case I have a change of heart. My experience with
video cards is pretty slim, at present I'm running a 3dfx Voodoo5 which
I guess is kind of ancient by now.

I've been reading about the GeForce 6600 series, and I'm interested in
the MSI NX6600LE-TD256E Geforce 6600LE 256MB DDR PCI Express x16
(http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p...256E&class=vga).
Anybody have any thoughts and/or experience with this or any other
6600LE cards? Is the difference between that and a 6600GT on a
day-to-day basis going to be much different (with, of course, the
occasional game thrown in!)? One thing I really like about the MSI card
is that there isn't any fan, just a heatsink; apparently the 6600LE
GPUs don't generate much heat unless they're really being pushed. Also,
the fact that it has 256MB on board sounds good. (Oh yeah, if it makes
any difference, my primary OS is Debian.)

Thanks in advance!

Old December 12th 05, 04:19 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

On 11 Dec 2005 15:08:49 -0800, "burt" wrote:

[...]

To be honest. I don't see a difference between this 6600LE,
and the standard 6600 card. Both are 128-bit memory bus, both DDR,
both have the same core, & memory clocks. The only thing not mentioned
is the number of pixel pipes it has. The standard, and GT versions
have 8, but if this 6600LE only has 4, then it would be a standard
6200.
Other 6600LE cards seem to have 64-bit memory buses which is
why they are considered "Lite Editions". A 6600GT will perform better
than the 6600LEs, or 6600s.