I think I've solved my Spin Retry Count problem

Old October 16th 09, 11:07 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Default I think I've solved my Spin Retry Count problem

Yousuf Khan wrote:
Yousuf Khan wrote:
Daniel Prince wrote:
How long were your IDE cables? Were they flat or round?

They were around 20 inches long, from the furthest ends.

Now, they were rounded cables in both cases. I had thought of using
flat cables, but in the crowded conditions in my case it was pretty
difficult to use them without moving a lot of stuff around. Plus the
rounded cables gave better cooling.

Just an update on this old issue. I finally got a chance to try the
same drives with the flat IDE cables, and the results were the same
as when using the rounded ones. Still no spin retry problem when
using the SATA converters and cables, but the problem always crops up
when using any sort of IDE cable.

Something very strange going on there. Most dont get spin retrys with IDE cables.

Old April 2nd 10, 01:14 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Daniel Prince

Yousuf Khan wrote:

what I did recently was that I converted two of those old
IDE drives into SATA drives using an IDE-to-SATA converter board that
fits right onto the back of the drives themselves.

What brand(s) of converters did you use? Did you try any of them on
optical drives?

I am having problems with my IDE cables AGAIN. I would like to get
rid of all of them.
--
I don't understand why they make gourmet cat foods. I have
known many cats in my life and none of them were gourmets.
Old April 2nd 10, 04:58 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Daniel Prince wrote:
Yousuf Khan wrote:

what I did recently was that I converted two of those old
IDE drives into SATA drives using an IDE-to-SATA converter board that
fits right onto the back of the drives themselves.

What brand(s) of converters did you use? Did you try any of them on
optical drives?

No specific brand, just bought some generic stuff off of Ebay. They are
still working great. In fact, the drive that was showing spin retry
problems has been upgraded in HD Sentinel's health ratings from 40% all
of the way upto 76% now.

I didn't try them on optical drives, just hard drives. I don't
anticipate that there would be any special issues with optical drives
though. I'm actually still running all of my optical drives off of IDE
cables though.

I am having problems with my IDE cables AGAIN. I would like to get
rid of all of them.

It's probably a good idea. The units cost less than $10 each (actually
usually you'll find them under $5 including shipping), so even if they
don't fix your problem, it's not a huge expense. Just make sure you get
the right type, some are for SATA devices to IDE cable, whereas others
are for IDE devices to SATA cable.

Yousuf Khan
Old April 2nd 10, 06:06 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

[...]

And some can be used either way.

Old May 20th 18, 05:14 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

Hi,

I have a Toshiba HDD that shows a variable Spin Retry Count through SMART, is this possible?, one day it show a BAD state with a very high Spin Retry Count, 2 days after it shows a normal value, but with some retries, and today it shows a completely normal state without a single Spin Retry. I don't know if I must backup and replace or this is a completely normal situation. I understand SMART values are fixed, and can't be modified.