Asus M2N-SLi Deluxe with Biostar Geforce 7600 video car-1 long beep,2 short beeps

Old February 10th 07, 09:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Rob

Default Asus M2N-SLi Deluxe with Biostar Geforce 7600 video car-1 long beep,2 short beeps

I get 1 long beep and 2 short beeps-video card error when i plug my brand
new 7600 video card PCI Express x16 into my brand new Asus M2N Sli Deluxe
motherboard. I tried both the x16 slot and the x8 slot,same thing.I
uninstalled the ram and drives and even disconnected the processor,I even
tried starting with no video card installed at all and i get this same error
code. Is it to be assumed the card is toast?

Also,the card doesnt have an external power connector like a lot of the x16
cards,do some cards not require extra power?

Old February 10th 07, 10:51 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Rob wrote:
I get 1 long beep and 2 short beeps-video card error when i plug my
brand new 7600 video card PCI Express x16 into my brand new Asus M2N
Sli Deluxe motherboard. I tried both the x16 slot and the x8 slot,same
thing.I uninstalled the ram and drives and even disconnected the
processor,I even tried starting with no video card installed at all and
i get this same error code. Is it to be assumed the card is toast?

Also,the card doesnt have an external power connector like a lot of the
x16 cards,do some cards not require extra power?

If both are brand new, it is going to be hard to determine
which one is bad. At least, without some other stuff to test
with.

I'd probably pull the motherboard from the case, and try it while the
motherboard is resting on a telephone book (one with a cardboard cover).
That will eliminate a short to the bottom of the motherboard.
The only dangerous thing about that method, is the video card
is not supported, and one yank on the cable would be a
disaster.

I would have thought that with missing RAM and missing video,
you'd hear missing RAM first, until RAM is installed, and then
you'd hear missing video. I wouldn't have thought it would
flag the video first, but I suppose the BIOS author could do
it in any order they please. To get a beep code, you'd need
the processor and the case speaker, and there should be a missing
RAM beep, if all you had installed was the processor.

The 7600 is a reasonably low power card. The PCI Express x16
video slot carries roughly 12V @ 4A to the video card. If the
card is going to use more than that, they put the Aux connector
on the end of the card. The pins in the video card slot are
rated at 5 amps, but the measurements on Xbitlabs shows the designers
try to limit the current draw to about 4.3 amps or so, and they
try not to go right to the limit.

Unfortunately, there have been PCI Express lane failures on
chipsets, so you cannot entirely discount the motherboard.
It could be either the motherboard or the video card end of
the connection. You'd need some swapping (put video card in
some other PCI Express motherboard, or use a different video
card, like an old PCI video card in the new motherboard).

Are you sure the card is fully seated ?

Paul
Old February 10th 07, 07:49 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Rob

Well I ran out and bought a cheap video card and put it in and i get the
same thing.I think I remember somewhere that the award bios does video first
so it can display any problems.I took out the processor and tried starting
it and nothing happened,put the cards back in and got the error code again
so I am hoping it's only the motherboard.

Old February 10th 07, 09:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Rob

I am just returning the mb,cpu and video card to newegg.com for
replacement.They didnt give me any grief and i am not sure if its the mb or
cpu.I just dont think the video card could be bad since the one i ran out
and got wouldnt work either.This is actually the first time i have ever had
a DOA computer part in about 18 years of building them myself.

Old February 10th 07, 10:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Walter

"Rob" wrote in message
link.net...
I get 1 long beep and 2 short beeps-video card error when i plug my brand
new 7600 video card PCI Express x16 into my brand new Asus M2N Sli Deluxe
motherboard. I tried both the x16 slot and the x8 slot,same thing.I
uninstalled the ram and drives and even disconnected the processor,I even
tried starting with no video card installed at all and i get this same
error code. Is it to be assumed the card is toast?

Also,the card doesnt have an external power connector like a lot of the
x16 cards,do some cards not require extra power?

I had the same problem with that board and an ATI video card. It turns out
that one of the memory sticks was bad.

--

______________________________

Walter B
waltblanch[at]tampabay[dot]rr[dot]com
______________________________

Old February 18th 07, 02:44 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Mark Hall

I have this mobo and when I first put it in I got exactly the same problem
but I later found out that it was 2 things 1st I had only connected 1 power
lead to the mobo (there are 2 on this board) and the other (which don't
count in your case) was that I hadn't connected the power lead on the
graphics card.

just a bit of info about this board when you get it up and running update
the bios cos windows get bsods if you leave it as it is

link.net...