XP OEM - Interesting conversation with MS employee

Old May 11th 05, 09:42 PM
kurttrail

kony wrote:

snip

There are mitigating factors. You must live an easy life
(or wear blinders) if you can't envision any scenarios where
a moral person might lie.

He wears the blinders supplied to all Microsoft partners.

--
Peace!
Kurt

Old May 11th 05, 10:53 PM
BNR

I haven't been able to find a retail copy of WinXP in Spain, only
upgrades
and OEMs.

It may have to be special ordered. It certainly is produced by
Microsoft but not all stores would stock it because the demand is low.

At the largest department store in Spain, retail Home upgrade is on sale

for
$US 395.41

On sale you say?!? I can see why the demand is so low. Nothing else, just
WinXP Home Upgrade for about 400USD. How does MS justify that cost; maybe
takes a quarter to make for them? Man now I know how they are running the
Call Center to authenticate peeps 24/7 by robbing the International
customers blind. I'd love to see a cost analysis breakdown. Maybe I'll buy
some stock for a free prospectus.

Can you get it cheaper in France or Italy? Or is that prohibited by the
Spanish Government?

Old May 12th 05, 12:35 AM
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Q. "How does MS justify that cost; maybe takes a quarter to make for them?"

A. Microsoft spent billions of $$$ to develop Windows XP. The cost to
manufacturer the CDs is irrelevant since they expect a return on their
massive investment. Also, ongoing improvements to Windows XP,
in the form of "Service Packs" and "hotfixes", are absorbed by Microsoft
and are offered free to the consumer.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...xp/choose.mspx

"BNR" wrote:

| On sale you say?!? I can see why the demand is so low. Nothing else, just
| WinXP Home Upgrade for about 400USD. How does MS justify that cost; maybe
| takes a quarter to make for them? Man now I know how they are running the
| Call Center to authenticate peeps 24/7 by robbing the International
| customers blind. I'd love to see a cost analysis breakdown. Maybe I'll buy
| some stock for a free prospectus.
|
| Can you get it cheaper in France or Italy? Or is that prohibited by the
| Spanish Government?

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0519-0, 05/09/2005
Tested on: 5/11/2005 6:35:54 PM

Old May 12th 05, 12:44 AM
Alias

"BNR" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

Not much demand for French and Italian language XPs in Spain ;-) People just
buy OEMs or a computer with Home already installed. I can give you the urls
for the major computer store chains in Spain and you will see that NONE of
them offer retail in any shape or form. ALL of them offer OEMs at a good
price.

Alias

Old May 12th 05, 12:47 AM
Alias

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote
Q. "How does MS justify that cost; maybe takes a quarter to make for
them?"

A. Microsoft spent billions of $$$ to develop Windows XP. The cost to
manufacturer the CDs is irrelevant since they expect a return on
their
massive investment. Also, ongoing improvements to Windows XP,
in the form of "Service Packs" and "hotfixes", are absorbed by
Microsoft
and are offered free to the consumer.

--
Carey Frisch

I dare say that an upgrade for XP Home is far less than $US 395 in the
States which shoots your lame theory all to hell. MS is one of the most
successful highway robbers in the history of the world and they have a lot
of gall making paying customers prove their honesty through PA and charging
so much for their software.
--
Alias

Old May 12th 05, 12:54 AM
Kerry Brown

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote in message
Q. "How does MS justify that cost; maybe takes a quarter to make for
them?"

A. Microsoft spent billions of $$$ to develop Windows XP. The cost to
manufacturer the CDs is irrelevant since they expect a return on
their
massive investment. Also, ongoing improvements to Windows XP,
in the form of "Service Packs" and "hotfixes", are absorbed by
Microsoft
and are offered free to the consumer.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

I agree Microsoft has the right to a return on their investment but
"billions of $$$ to develop Windows XP" I could accept $10s of millions
possibly even 100s of millions. I guess they pay their employees really
well. XP must have made a few more MS millionaires. If they had 1,000
programmers working on XP that's over a million dollars each.

:-)

Kerry

"BNR" wrote:

| On sale you say?!? I can see why the demand is so low. Nothing else,
just
| WinXP Home Upgrade for about 400USD. How does MS justify that cost;
maybe
| takes a quarter to make for them? Man now I know how they are running
the
| Call Center to authenticate peeps 24/7 by robbing the International
| customers blind. I'd love to see a cost analysis breakdown. Maybe I'll
buy
| some stock for a free prospectus.
|
| Can you get it cheaper in France or Italy? Or is that prohibited by the
| Spanish Government?

---

Old May 12th 05, 12:59 AM
Woody

apple's latest os upgrade tiger $125 family plan upgrade for up to 5
puters $ 195

linux some free others very cheap .

bills kids should start thinking about sell some of their stock ;P

Old May 12th 05, 01:15 AM
kurttrail

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
[...]

http://www.ananova.com/business/stor...1827.html?menu

86% profit margin

Old May 12th 05, 01:25 AM
Michael C

"Kerry Brown" *a*m wrote in message
I agree Microsoft has the right to a return on their investment but
"billions of $$$ to develop Windows XP" I could accept $10s of millions
possibly even 100s of millions. I guess they pay their employees really
well. XP must have made a few more MS millionaires. If they had 1,000
programmers working on XP that's over a million dollars each.

Win2k had something like 240 managers each managing a number of employees,
not sure how many each.

Michael