AMD Athlon Mobile XP 1800+/2000+/2200+ running at FSB 200 possible?

Old July 2nd 03, 05:51 AM
Wes Newell

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 03:00:40 +0000, Fig wrote:

No mate , your sig/link

Works fine from here. You can try this one. It's my own server. It runs
pretty much 24/7 except when i'm screwing around with something.

http://4.62.91.68

Old July 8th 03, 01:52 PM
Clemens Arth

Hi again!

Ok, now I bought a Athlon XP 2400+ CPU. The computer recognises that
a new CPU is there; there are no heat problems at all, that's good...

What's not so good is that BIOS shows me 1330 MHz instead of 2000 MHz.
Sisoft Sandra shows me 1350 MHz and the CPU really seems to run at
that
speed. This is, what Sandra returns for the processor:

Processor
Model : AMD Athlon(tm) Processor
Co-Processor (FPU) : Built-in
Speed : 1.35GHz
Model Number : 1730 (estimated)
Performance Rating : PR1958 (estimated)
Type : Mobile
Package : Socket A PGA
Multiplier : 27/2x
Minimum/Maximum Multiplier : 6/1x / 27/2x
Generation : 7 (7x86)
Name : Mobile Athlon XP (Barton) 1.6GHz+
Revision/Stepping : A / 0 (0)
Stepping Mask : ?
Core Voltage Rating : 1.450V
Min/Max Core Voltage : 1.450V / 1.450V
Maximum Physical / Virtual Addressing : 34-bit / 32-bit

Processor Cache(s)
Internal Data Cache : 64kB Synchronous Write-Back (2-way sectored, 64
byte line size)
Internal Instruction Cache : 64kB Synchronous Write-Back (2-way, 64
byte line size)
L2 On-board Cache : 512kB ECC Synchronous Write-Back (16-way, 64 byte
line size)
L2 Cache Multiplier : 1/1x (1350MHz)

Upgradeability
Socket/Slot : SCKT-A
Upgrade Interface : None
Supported Speed(s) : 1.35GHz+

This is what Sandra tells about the mainboard:

Mainboard
Manufacturer : MiTAC
MP Support : No
Version : 5a
Serial Number : NB202018208

Chipset 1
Model : Mitac VT8363/5 KT133/KM133 System Controller
Bus(es) : ISA AGP PCI PCMCIA CardBus USB i2c/SMBus
Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 100MHz (200MHz data rate)
Maximum FSB Speed / Max Memory Speed : 2x 133MHz / 1x 133MHz
Width : 64-bit
IO Queue Depth : 4 request(s)

What's really bad is that there's an INSYDE Software Bios - Mouse
Support, but no multiplier, no FSB - nothing. What's also a little bit
annoying is that I told you about 4 switches (on one block). Ok, it
seems that 4 of the settings are working with the old and the new CPU
not changing anything. 4 settings make the screen flickering and
nothing else, and the other 8 settings make the screen blank and
nothing else...

So I don't know how to deal with this... what makes me a bit confused
is this Multiplier Info in the Processor Section (27 x 50 = 1350) - is
this the same as 13.5 x 100 ?

Clemens

(Clemens Arth) wrote in message . com...
That's the big question! What are the jumpers for? The support team
from the notebook producer told me that the jumpers might be used to
change the FSB but they didn't really want to tell me - you know, to
take a notebook to pieces yourself is something they are not very
happy about (warranty and things like that).

You are right. I won't spend money on a 2400+ or a new 2600/2800. I
found offers for a Mobile XP 2200+ for about 80 Euros / 75 Dollars and
a Mobile XP 2400+ for 150 Euros / 140 Dollars. So I'll try the cheaper
one...

My current processor offers this speed stepping (that's why I don't
think the jumpers are for multiplier-changes):

Mult Voltage Speed
5x 1.250 V 500 MHz
6x 1.300 V 600 MHz
7x 1.350 V 700 MHz
8x 1.400 V 800 MHz
9x 1.450 V 900 MHz
10x 1.500 V 1000 MHz
12x 1.550 V 1200 MHz

CPU: L1 I Cache: 64K (64 bytes/line), D cache 64K (64 bytes/line)
CPU: L2 Cache: 256K (64 bytes/line)
CPU: AMD mobile AMD Athlon(tm) 4 Processor stepping 02

(cuts from powerNOW! for Linux Kernel 2.5.73)

By the way - the link to your page works from here (Austria)

Greets!
Clemens

Old July 8th 03, 11:07 PM
Wes Newell

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 05:52:07 -0700, Clemens Arth wrote:

Ok, now I bought a Athlon XP 2400+ CPU. The computer recognises that a
new CPU is there; there are no heat problems at all, that's good...

L2 On-board Cache : 512kB ECC Synchronous Write-Back (16-way, 64 byte
line size)

Well, you know this is BS. There's only 256K L2 on teh 2400+. Where it
comes up with 512K is unknown. Maybe because it misreadws it as a barton
which does have 512K.

This is what Sandra tells about the mainboard:

Chipset 1
Model : Mitac VT8363/5 KT133/KM133 System Controller Bus(es) : ISA AGP
PCI PCMCIA CardBus USB i2c/SMBus Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 100MHz
(200MHz data rate) Maximum FSB Speed / Max Memory Speed : 2x 133MHz / 1x
133MHz Width : 64-bit
IO Queue Depth : 4 request(s)

Uses VIA KT133 chipset. This chipset doesn't support 133MHz FSB. It just
won't work. And you can trust me on that.:-)

What's really bad is that there's an INSYDE Software Bios - Mouse
Support, but no multiplier, no FSB - nothing. What's also a little bit
annoying is that I told you about 4 switches (on one block). Ok, it
seems that 4 of the settings are working with the old and the new CPU
not changing anything. 4 settings make the screen flickering and nothing
else, and the other 8 settings make the screen blank and nothing else...

So I don't know how to deal with this... what makes me a bit confused is
this Multiplier Info in the Processor Section (27 x 50 = 1350) - is this
the same as 13.5 x 100 ?

One thing has to be happening. They are changing the multiplier bits.
That;s easy enough to determine sincve the default multiplier for the
2400+ is 15, not 13.5. i think this is a notebook you're dealing with and
I'm not sure what kind of voltages it will supply to the CPU, but you will
need more than 1.45v to get it much higher than it is now unless this is a
mobile 2400+ (XP-M or something like that) At this point you could do
several things, on of which is the pin mod here,

http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/ht...md_pinmod.html

but I don't know what affect this might have on your basically unknown MB.
The other option, which will be safer, but harder to do, would be to lock
the cpu multiplier by cutting the L1 bridges on it. That would lock the
default 15x multiplier and it should then boot at 1500MHz. If that works
out, you could then change the default multiplier higher. I'd still be
worried about vcore though. It it doesn't provide enough juice the cpu
won't work at higher speeds. I'd say you're pretty much in a pickle.
Personally, I don't know what I'd do. Probably leave it as is if
everything is working ok. Messing with the bridges is a pita. I might give
the pin mod a go though. Seems like you have some choices to make.:-)

Old July 9th 03, 09:20 AM
Clemens Arth

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
t...
On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 05:52:07 -0700, Clemens Arth wrote:

Ok, now I bought a Athlon XP 2400+ CPU. The computer recognises that a
new CPU is there; there are no heat problems at all, that's good...

L2 On-board Cache : 512kB ECC Synchronous Write-Back (16-way, 64 byte
line size)

Well, you know this is BS. There's only 256K L2 on teh 2400+. Where it
comes up with 512K is unknown. Maybe because it misreadws it as a barton
which does have 512K.

I'll check that.

This is what Sandra tells about the mainboard:

Chipset 1
Model : Mitac VT8363/5 KT133/KM133 System Controller Bus(es) : ISA AGP
PCI PCMCIA CardBus USB i2c/SMBus Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 100MHz
(200MHz data rate) Maximum FSB Speed / Max Memory Speed : 2x 133MHz / 1x
133MHz Width : 64-bit
IO Queue Depth : 4 request(s)

Uses VIA KT133 chipset. This chipset doesn't support 133MHz FSB. It just
won't work. And you can trust me on that.:-)

IF IT IS a KT133 chipset it's ok but that's what I can't believe! I
think there's an ProSavage Chipset in there. Why should they build in
a S3 TwisterK Graphics Chip and a separate KT133 Chipset when there is
an integrated combination available? According to the S3
identification tool it's a TwisterK Graphics Chip 8D02 in there which
is integrated in the ProSavage KN133 Chipset.

http://www.via.com.tw/en/ProSavage%20Chipsets/kn133.jsp

See what my clone distributor in Germany announces:
http://www.archtec.de/produkte003.as...notem&spec=yes

There's still no answer from Taiwan - ok they're sleeping now :-)

I'll give the mods a try.

Old July 9th 03, 10:09 AM
Clemens Arth

"Wes Newell" wrote in message t...
On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 05:52:07 -0700, Clemens Arth wrote:

Ok, now I bought a Athlon XP 2400+ CPU. The computer recognises that a
new CPU is there; there are no heat problems at all, that's good...

L2 On-board Cache : 512kB ECC Synchronous Write-Back (16-way, 64 byte
line size)

Well, you know this is BS. There's only 256K L2 on teh 2400+. Where it
comes up with 512K is unknown. Maybe because it misreadws it as a barton
which does have 512K.

Ok, the type of the proc is:

AXMH2400FQQ4C

So this really seems to be a Barton with 512kB L2 Cache. According to
the AMD-paper the nominal voltage is 1.45 V. So power should not be a
problem because the Mobile Athlon 4 needed 1.55 V. (heat? dieing only
at 100°C ? I think that's a bit overstated...)

Now let's go and buy some liquid silver and mod it...

Old July 9th 03, 10:24 AM
Wes Newell

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 01:20:11 -0700, Clemens Arth wrote:

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
t...
[...]

Yep, sandra probably lying again about the KT133. But even if it is the
KN133, which it probably is, they may not have put in support for 133MHz
FSB. Or they won't tell you about it. Good luck with this. Notebooks are
not animals I want to deal with.:-)

Old July 9th 03, 10:47 AM
Wes Newell

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 02:09:24 -0700, Clemens Arth wrote:

Ok, the type of the proc is:

AXMH2400FQQ4C

So this really seems to be a Barton with 512kB L2 Cache. According to the
AMD-paper the nominal voltage is 1.45 V. So power should not be a problem
because the Mobile Athlon 4 needed 1.55 V. (heat? dieing only at 100°C ?
I think that's a bit overstated...)

This explains a lot.:-) It's a 2400+ XP-M cpu and does have a 512K cache.
Why Sandra says it's a Barton. So the default multiplier on it won't be 15
like the regular XP version. And that makes the 13.5 multiplier fall right
into place. 1800Mhz (13.5x133) with a 512K cache would put the rating at
2400+.

Now let's go and buy some liquid silver and mod it...

Before I went to all that trouble, I'd exhaust all possibilities of trying
to get the FSB to 133MHz. Are you sure it's not throttled back and might
jump up to a faster speed under load. If I remember right, it reports
1330MHz. That might be one of the power now settings doing it's thing with
10x133. No real experiences with notebooks, so these are just wags. But
the cpu default FSB is 133, and if the notebook bios is worth crap it
should set it right. I' just rambling, good luck.