New Computer Build, OS question

Old August 31st 04, 12:53 AM
Azaran2003

Default New Computer Build, OS question

Hey all, been helping a friend build a new computer system (had a post ealier
about that, $1000 to build new comptuer). Since she's trying to get the most
for her buck I was wondering about Licenses with XP.
I realise this is a bit off topic but when I tried posting in the windows
newsgroup... well lets just say most people that responded were less than
helpful.

The question is, if my friend was to buy a new OEM XP license (there are a
number of vendors on pricewatch) would I then be able to use my existing OEM XP
CD to load windows and still have everything on the up and up? I'm trying to
convince her not go the cracked XP route and still work in her budget.

Thanks to any that reply
~A
Old August 31st 04, 01:14 AM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Azaran2003 wrote:
Hey all, been helping a friend build a new computer system (had a
post ealier about that, $1000 to build new comptuer). Since she's
trying to get the most for her buck I was wondering about Licenses
with XP.
I realise this is a bit off topic but when I tried posting in the
windows newsgroup... well lets just say most people that responded
were less than helpful.

The question is, if my friend was to buy a new OEM XP license (there
are a number of vendors on pricewatch) would I then be able to use my
existing OEM XP CD to load windows and still have everything on the
up and up? I'm trying to convince her not go the cracked XP route and
still work in her budget.

Thanks to any that reply
~A

You posted to alt.os.windows-xp, they are all morons in there, I'm afraid. I
am also afraid that what you wish to do isn't possible as keys are tied to
specific licence versions and you cannot purchase an OEM XP licence (I'm
afraid that those vendors on PW aren't legal). MS doesn't sell OEM keys,
either. She will need to purchase her own licence complete with CD and COA.
If you require more information suggest you post to the /proper/ XP groups -
I suggest news://microsoft.public.windowsxp.general. You'll get the proper
response there.

I have reviewed the sellers on PW and I can tell you categorically they are
*NOT* legal. An OEM licence requires three things to be considered legit.

1) A disc
2) A COA with the PIK
3) To be sold with an item of non-peripheral hardware, or a system.

If any of the above are missng, then it is *NOT LEGAL*.

Also, if your disc came with your system, it cannot be used on any other. I
will quote you the relevant paragraph from the OEM EULA

"* Software as a Component of the Computer - Transfer. THIS
LICENSE MAY NOT BE SHARED, TRANSFERRED TO OR
USED CONCURRENTLY ON DIFFERENT COMPUTERS.
The SOFTWARE is licensed with the COMPUTER as a single
integrated product and may only be used with the COMPUTER. If
the SOFTWARE is not accompanied by HARDWARE, you may not use
the SOFTWARE. You may permanently transfer all of your rights
under this EULA only as part of a permanent sale or transfer
of the COMPUTER, provided you retain no copies, if you
transfer the SOFTWARE (including all component parts, the
media, any upgrades, this EULA and the Certificate of
Authenticity), and the recipient agrees to the terms of this
EULA. If the SOFTWARE is an upgrade, any transfer must also
include all prior versions of the SOFTWARE."

You cannot purchase additional licences for an OEM version - and PKs aren't
interchangeable (the PK for a retail version will not work with an OEM and
vice versa).

Sorry, but the answer is no.

lose his marbles?

Old August 31st 04, 02:03 AM
Schism

"Azaran2003" wrote in message
Hey all, been helping a friend build a new computer system (had a post
ealier
about that, $1000 to build new comptuer). Since she's trying to get the
most
for her buck I was wondering about Licenses with XP.
I realise this is a bit off topic but when I tried posting in the windows
newsgroup... well lets just say most people that responded were less than
helpful.

The question is, if my friend was to buy a new OEM XP license (there are a
number of vendors on pricewatch) would I then be able to use my existing
OEM XP
CD to load windows and still have everything on the up and up? I'm trying
convince her not go the cracked XP route and still work in her budget.

I went the cracked XP route... but she could always go with linux if she has
any kind of moral objections =D

Old August 31st 04, 05:14 AM
Azaran2003

Bugger, I was afraid that was the case with the licenses. I always get mine OEM
but usualy when I'm buying a new OS I'm also buying new hardware so its never
been an issue. As for the linux idea... dear god no. As it is I've done all the
research on this since she has no clue as to how to go about it (she's
switching from an iBook to pc's) I'll tell her about the OEM issue.

Thanks
~A
Oh and thanks Perpicacia, saddly yeah those people in that newsgroup seem to
have the collective IQ of a rock and the personalties to match, so thanks for
the advice on groups.
Old August 31st 04, 07:01 AM
CBFalconer

Azaran2003 wrote:

Hey all, been helping a friend build a new computer system (had
a post ealier about that, $1000 to build new comptuer). Since
she's trying to get the most for her buck I was wondering about
Licenses with XP. I realise this is a bit off topic but when I
tried posting in the windows newsgroup... well lets just say
most people that responded were less than helpful.

The question is, if my friend was to buy a new OEM XP license
(there are a number of vendors on pricewatch) would I then be
able to use my existing OEM XP CD to load windows and still
have everything on the up and up? I'm trying to convince her
not go the cracked XP route and still work in her budget.

The answer is simple. Get a suitable installation of Linux. You
can usually find a complete precooked system with CDs, manual, and
source for $50 or so. You can get them free if you are willing to
spend the time downloading. Then install it on as many machines
as you like, with no worries whatsoever about legality. Also it
will totally avoid Microsoft snooping in your machine, with the
right to do any harm it wishes, and censor what you may or may not
run on it. It will also be much more secure against viruses etc.

--
"Churchill and Bush can both be considered wartime leaders, just
as Secretariat and Mr Ed were both horses." - James Rhodes.

Old August 31st 04, 07:14 AM
Matt

CBFalconer wrote:

The answer is simple. Get a suitable installation of Linux.

In two years the answer will be simple. For now it depends on whether
the intended application(s) are available on Linux. You didn't ask what
the system is to be used for.

Old August 31st 04, 11:31 AM
Azaran2003

Yeah unfortinatly right now Linux isnt an option. While I'll admit to not
knowing much about working with it, theres no way I wanna try and teach her
that.

She's not a hardcore computer person, she just wanted to build a machine that
she could do graphics and games on. And yes I know Linux can be a a great OS,
but I also know it takes more work than she'd be willing to deal with. Heres a
question, can Linux even run Photoshop?

~A
Old August 31st 04, 05:17 PM
General Schvantzkoph

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 04:14:07 +0000, Azaran2003 wrote:

Bugger, I was afraid that was the case with the licenses. I always get mine OEM
but usualy when I'm buying a new OS I'm also buying new hardware so its never
been an issue. As for the linux idea... dear god no. As it is I've done all the
research on this since she has no clue as to how to go about it (she's
switching from an iBook to pc's) I'll tell her about the OEM issue.

Thanks
~A
Oh and thanks Perpicacia, saddly yeah those people in that newsgroup seem to
have the collective IQ of a rock and the personalties to match, so thanks for
the advice on groups.

You can buy an OEM XP license with any piece of hardware, an ethernet
cable qualifies. I use Linux but I do own one OEM copy of Win2K which I
use for diagnostic purposes, I bought it along with a $5 cable.
Old August 31st 04, 09:25 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Azaran2003 wrote:
Yeah unfortinatly right now Linux isnt an option. While I'll admit to
not knowing much about working with it, theres no way I wanna try and
teach her that.

She's not a hardcore computer person, she just wanted to build a
machine that she could do graphics and games on. And yes I know Linux
can be a a great OS, but I also know it takes more work than she'd be
willing to deal with. Heres a question, can Linux even run Photoshop?

~A

No. No Adobe application will run under Linux - not even with CrossOver or
WINE.
lose his marbles?

Old August 31st 04, 11:44 PM
Azaran2003

No. No Adobe application will run under Linux - not even with CrossOver or
WINE.

Well that pretty much closes the option of Linux. No photoshop, no go.