6600GT and needed power supply

Old January 3rd 05, 01:40 PM
Ed Light

"dvus" wrote

This should work well since I have 2 exhaust fans on the back of my case.
One could be dedicated to pulling the air from the cpu via the use of some
form of ducting.

You might not need to keep running two.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old January 3rd 05, 02:38 PM
J. Clarke

dvus wrote:

Mac Cool wrote:
dvus:

What do you mean by "backwards"?

The rear of my Dell PS is a mirror image of a standard ATX PS. A
normal ATX PS will fit in the case but you would have to cut new
holes for the power plug, switch and fan.

They seem to have gone to a lot of trouble to insure selling a few PSUs!

Could be worse, they could have sized the case so that a standard power
supply won't physically fit.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old January 3rd 05, 09:22 PM
dvus

Ed Light wrote:
"dvus" wrote

This should work well since I have 2 exhaust fans on the back of my
case. One could be dedicated to pulling the air from the cpu via the
use of some form of ducting.

You might not need to keep running two.

Why not? They're fairly quiet and keep the air flowing. Hell, there's those
two case exhaust fans and one case intake fan on the front near the
hard-drive, plus three built into the PSU, one on the CPU heatsink and one
on the GPU heatsink. Must be like a hurricane in there. CPU stays at about
45C and the case at 38C.

--
dvus

Old January 3rd 05, 09:24 PM
dvus

J. Clarke wrote:
dvus wrote:

Mac Cool wrote:
dvus:

What do you mean by "backwards"?

The rear of my Dell PS is a mirror image of a standard ATX PS. A
normal ATX PS will fit in the case but you would have to cut new
holes for the power plug, switch and fan.

They seem to have gone to a lot of trouble to insure selling a few
PSUs!

Could be worse, they could have sized the case so that a standard
power supply won't physically fit.

Heh, yeah, how did an undevious guy like you happen to think of that? I'm
supposed to be the devious one here.

--
dvus

Old January 4th 05, 04:23 AM
Ed Light

"dvus" wrote in message
Ed Light wrote:
"dvus" wrote

This should work well since I have 2 exhaust fans on the back of my
case. One could be dedicated to pulling the air from the cpu via the
use of some form of ducting.

You might not need to keep running two.

Why not? They're fairly quiet and keep the air flowing. Hell, there's
those two case exhaust fans and one case intake fan on the front near the
hard-drive, plus three built into the PSU, one on the CPU heatsink and one
on the GPU heatsink. Must be like a hurricane in there. CPU stays at about
45C and the case at 38C.

The only fans running in mine are the 1 psu fan and one case fan and the fan
on the ti4200. System temp is 22C just now. Without the cpu heat in there
it's amazingly lukwarm. Of course alot of fans don't hurt anything if you
don't mind their sound.

Mine are 80mm running at 2100 and 2350 rpm's.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old January 4th 05, 05:57 AM
First of One

Yes. There's no right or wrong way of doing it; the direction of fan
mounting depends on its environment. Having the CPU and PSU fans working
against each other naturally doesn't work.

BTW, from what I remember in an Anandtech review, in cramped cases (e.g. 1U
rack), the fan is more effective when blowing upward from the motherboard.
In roomy cases (or on a reviewer's testbench), the fan normally works better
blowing into the board.

Then you have monsters like the Hyper6, whose CPU fan is in line with the
case exhaust fan, thanks to the heat sink's massive height. See:
http://www.metku.net/reviews/hyper6/final.jpg

"Ed Light" wrote in message
Sounds like maybe you're running your cpu fan backwards, blowing into the
psu?

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old January 4th 05, 06:01 AM
First of One

Or use both:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/images...e/1964full.jpg

Note the dual-fan cooling shroud over an equally impressive heat sink. Find
the shroud or a current-generation Dimension case on eBay and you are set.
:-)

Old January 4th 05, 06:02 AM
First of One

Neg. For that, you need a Mac...

Old January 4th 05, 06:15 AM
dvus

Ed Light wrote:
"dvus" wrote in message
Ed Light wrote:
"dvus" wrote

This should work well since I have 2 exhaust fans on the back of my
case. One could be dedicated to pulling the air from the cpu via
the use of some form of ducting.

You might not need to keep running two.

Why not? They're fairly quiet and keep the air flowing. Hell, there's
those two case exhaust fans and one case intake fan on the front
near the hard-drive, plus three built into the PSU, one on the CPU
heatsink and one on the GPU heatsink. Must be like a hurricane in
there. CPU stays at about 45C and the case at 38C.

The only fans running in mine are the 1 psu fan and one case fan and
the fan on the ti4200. System temp is 22C just now. Without the cpu
heat in there it's amazingly lukwarm. Of course alot of fans don't
hurt anything if you don't mind their sound.

Mine are 80mm running at 2100 and 2350 rpm's.

Why did you remove the CPU heatsink fan? Seems like it might be a little
insurance if the case fan went out.

--
dvus

Old January 4th 05, 06:57 AM
Ed Light

"First of One" wrote
Then you have monsters like the Hyper6, whose CPU fan is in line with the
case exhaust fan, thanks to the heat sink's massive height. See:
http://www.metku.net/reviews/hyper6/final.jpg

And this one:

Ed Light

Smiley :-/