K8NXP-9 and Swiftech MCX6400-V?

Old February 9th 05, 02:03 PM

Default K8NXP-9 and Swiftech MCX6400-V?

I am looking for a quiet life and would like to replace the Processor-
in-a-Box heatsink/fan that came bundled with my Athlon 64 3500 S939
Winchester 90nm CPU with something a little less noisy.

Has anyone tried fitting a Swiftech MCX6400-V to a K8NXP-9? Were there
any problems when fitting it? Or when removing the Processor-in-a-Box
heatsink/fan?

The Swiftech MCX6400-V doesn't have a bundled fan. I would like to
choose a fan that is compatible with Cool'n'Quiet and similar controls.

The AMD "Cool'n'Quiet Technology Installation Guide for AMD Athlon 64
Processor Based Systems" is fairly light on details and states that a
"heatsink/fan capable of speed control" is required and "if an AMD
Athlon 64 Processor-in-a-Box is not used, an appropriate 3rd party
heatsink with a thermally controlled fan must be used".

Is the requirement for a fan with an RPM strobe and a locally mounted
thermistor?

The system is running under SuSE Linux 9.2 and, althought I have
managed to get "sensors-detect" to detect the ITE controller, I
haven't managed to use "sensors" to read the values.

Are the three 3-pin fan headers on the K8NXP-9 capable of fan speed
control using PWM? The specification for the controller suggests
that they are but I konw from experience that this may not be
sufficient to control fan speed.
--
John Connett