Need help deciding on a new printer

Old November 17th 06, 01:53 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
BeeCee

Default Need help deciding on a new printer

My Canon i960 has just crapped out so I'm in need of a new color printer
ASAP.

Unfortunately I haven't been keeping up with the state of the industry
lately and have no idea of what I might replace it with.

I'm strictly an amateur and the now dead i960 was fulfilling my needs quite
adequately. I seldom have a need to go beyond 8-1/2" x 11".

What is on the market now in about that same price range, which was around
$300 when I bought it several years ago?

Any experience with the Canon Pixma iP5200R?

Brian

Old November 17th 06, 01:28 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Michael Grey

Staples hasthe IP4300 that is the replacement for the IP5200.
I think it is $99 US and a $20 Mail in rebate
If you need networking you should try and find the "R"

news:I8qdncg3dt6Fi8DYnZ2dnUVZ_vqdnZ2d@wtccommunica tions.ca...

Old November 17th 06, 02:28 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
zakezuke

I'm pretty pleased with the Ip5200. So good I didn't bother buying a
i960 at goodwill. You may wish to consider the ip6600d as this is what
you had before but with a smaller drop size.

The only complaint I have with the ip5200 is on HP paper you really
notice the fact that the yellow only has 5pl nozzles, where the ip6600D
has the same number of nozzels per color. I haven't tried it my self
but I imagine that the ip6600D would look better.

The R versions offer networking. Worth the extra bucks if you want no
wires.

Old November 17th 06, 05:41 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

BeeCee wrote:
My Canon i960 has just crapped out so I'm in need of a new color printer
ASAP.

Unfortunately I haven't been keeping up with the state of the industry
lately and have no idea of what I might replace it with.

I'm strictly an amateur and the now dead i960 was fulfilling my needs quite
adequately. I seldom have a need to go beyond 8-1/2" x 11".

What is on the market now in about that same price range, which was around
$300 when I bought it several years ago?

Any experience with the Canon Pixma iP5200R?

Brian

On sale, almost all of the at Fry's, you can buy a Canon IP4300 that
will print better and resist fading better than the printer you had in
99% of ll situations. The printer also has twin paper feeds and can
print both sides of the paper with no intervention.

Old November 17th 06, 05:44 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Michael Grey wrote:

Staples hasthe IP4300 that is the replacement for the IP5200. I think it is $99 US and a $20 Mail in rebate If you need networking you should try and find the "R"

That is not totally correct.  Fry's has the printer for $80.00 with out a rebate hassle.  The real replacement for the IP5200 is the IP5300 now sold outside of North America.  When is will arrive in the USA you need to contact Canon.

Old November 17th 06, 07:27 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Stroller

measekite wrote:

BeeCee wrote:
My Canon i960 has just crapped out so I'm in need of a new color printer
ASAP.
What is on the market now in about that same price range, which was around
$300 when I bought it several years ago?

Any experience with the Canon Pixma iP5200R?

On sale, almost all of the at Fry's, you can buy a Canon IP4300 that
will print better and resist fading better than the printer you had in
99% of ll situations. The printer also has twin paper feeds and can
print both sides of the paper with no intervention.

AOL! I'm sure you'll be happy with most any of the Canon Pixima models.

I have an ip3000, and I consider this a minium-spec as it has 4 separate ink
tanks (3 colour & 1 black). All the Pixima printers with model numbers 3000
fall into this category - the 3000 is quite old now, about 2.5 or 3 years, I
think, and has been superceeded; the 4300 & 5200 are not only higher-end
models than mine, but are sucessors to their higher-end models that were
available when I bought mine.

I paid about £100 for my ip3000 when I bought it, so would consider any of
those mentioned quite a bargain. They all have 5 or 6 ink tanks, too, which is
supposed to improve photo quality - I find this quite phenominal, as the photo
quality out of my old 3000 is quite good eneough, even reproducing images
taken with a decent 8mp SLR camera & £400 lens.

Stroller.
Old November 17th 06, 10:14 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Burt

"Stroller" wrote in message
measekite wrote:

BeeCee wrote:
[...]

ip4300 at newegg for $76 or Staples $99 with $20 rebate. No cheap
compatable carts but you can refill if you don't mind losing your ink
monitor function. Canon's effort to thwart the use of aftermarket inks.

Old November 19th 06, 02:33 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
BeeCee

Thanks for all the suggestions - gets me pointed in the right direction.

Brian

Sharing Printer Big John Printers 10 August 23rd 06 05:37 AM
Turn off laser printer with power strip? Gary Vocks Printers 77 February 16th 06 01:06 PM
Don't Throw Away Your HP Deskjet 722C Printer Lee McKnight Printers 8 January 21st 05 05:10 AM
tip: lpr printer to the router's printer port lew@csus_abcdefg.edu Printers 0 January 4th 05 02:28 AM
Optra R networking JP Printers 1 February 15th 04 11:35 PM