Need help deciding which of these two printers to buy.

Old November 12th 06, 03:14 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
nospam

Default Need help deciding which of these two printers to buy.

The Epson R380 or Canon Pixma iP6700D(with cd/dvd tray purchased after
market). Which one to get for printing on dvd's?
Old November 12th 06, 04:19 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Shooter

The Canon was delivered yesterday to a friend, on my recomend. I own the
ip6600 and a Epson R300, in print quality I find the Canon takes it, for
third party ink I find for the Epson. Both print CDs and both give a first
class finish. The canon can be had for a mere £108 from Amazon dam good
price. You will find the Epson has to have nozzle checks twice a week, the
Canon is months and that's with OEM ink.

ink.net...

Old November 12th 06, 05:13 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Lee

nospam wrote:
The Epson R380 or Canon Pixma iP6700D(with cd/dvd tray purchased after
market). Which one to get for printing on dvd's?

I have the 6700D and would like to know where you get the cd/dvd tray
from. Pls post when you find it!
Old November 13th 06, 11:08 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Martin

nospam wrote:
The Epson R380 or Canon Pixma iP6700D(with cd/dvd tray purchased after
market). Which one to get for printing on dvd's?

From what I've heard the newer Epsons are the new "Claria" type which
have a new type of cartridge and chip that are incompatible with any
current 3rd party (ie: non Epson) cartridges.

As a result you need to factor in the fact that both the Canon and the
Epson will require you to use their own cartridges.

Canon cartridges are refillable but the jury is still out on how long
you can do this.. The Epson Claria is a new beast though and to my
knowledge (which is not good on this subject) there's no refilling or
alternatives to date.

Hope that helps.
Old November 16th 06, 02:34 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

nospam wrote:
The Epson R380 or Canon Pixma iP6700D(with cd/dvd tray purchased after
market). Which one to get for printing on dvd's?

While I prefer Canon printers for many reasons I am not a proponent of
aftermarket mickey mouse so if CD printing is important I would go with
the Epson if you reside a North America.
Old November 17th 06, 07:38 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Stroller

measekite wrote:

nospam wrote:
The Epson R380 or Canon Pixma iP6700D(with cd/dvd tray purchased after
market). Which one to get for printing on dvd's?

While I prefer Canon printers for many reasons I am not a proponent of
aftermarket mickey mouse so if CD printing is important I would go with
the Epson if you reside a North America.

Remember, however, that these Canon printers ship with direct-to-disk CD & DVD
printing throughout Europe - it is only the USA which considers this
"innovation" patentable by Epson.

From the sounds of things there's very little missing from the US models apart
from the tray itself, so I see no reason why most people should consider this
to be "Mickey Mouse" (that's a trademark, too, BTW).

At one time there were a number of US etailers offering grey-import Piximas to
US customers, but I am unable to find with a quick search now - perhaps this
is indicative of the success & reliability of these aftermarket trays?
Certainly, these trays look IDENTICAL to the one I recieved with the Pixima I
bought in the UK.

Stroller.
Old November 17th 06, 10:03 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Burt

"Stroller" wrote in message
measekite wrote:

nospam wrote:
The Epson R380 or Canon Pixma iP6700D(with cd/dvd tray purchased after
market). Which one to get for printing on dvd's?

While I prefer Canon printers for many reasons I am not a proponent of
aftermarket mickey mouse so if CD printing is important I would go with
the Epson if you reside a North America.

Remember, however, that these Canon printers ship with direct-to-disk CD &
DVD
printing throughout Europe - it is only the USA which considers this
"innovation" patentable by Epson.

From the sounds of things there's very little missing from the US models
apart
from the tray itself, so I see no reason why most people should consider
this
to be "Mickey Mouse" (that's a trademark, too, BTW).

At one time there were a number of US etailers offering grey-import
Piximas to
US customers, but I am unable to find with a quick search now - perhaps
this
is indicative of the success & reliability of these aftermarket trays?
Certainly, these trays look IDENTICAL to the one I recieved with the
Pixima I
bought in the UK.

Stroller.

Except for a minor alteration to the printer, the US Canon printers are
already CD tray capable. If that is something you want to do, there are
many posts on the technique. Don't listen to our resident troll,
Mickey-mousekite.