no keyboard after reboot on ML 370 G3

Old January 27th 05, 07:28 PM
Michael Smirnov679672975

Default no keyboard after reboot on ML 370 G3

I've just install WIndows 2000 Server
on a ML 370 G3 server.

When I "restart" Windows,
all keys on the keyboard do not works, even Ctrl+Alt+Del!
However, when I "Shut down" Windows
and then start it (by pressing the power button),
the keyboard works!

I changed the keyboard to another model, but it didn't help.

What should I try to make the keyboard work
after reboot, no only after shutdown?

Old January 27th 05, 11:10 PM
Aidan Grey

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:28:43 +0300, Michael Smirnov679672975 wrote:

I've just install WIndows 2000 Server
on a ML 370 G3 server.

When I "restart" Windows,
all keys on the keyboard do not works, even Ctrl+Alt+Del!
However, when I "Shut down" Windows
and then start it (by pressing the power button),
the keyboard works!

I changed the keyboard to another model, but it didn't help.

What should I try to make the keyboard work
after reboot, no only after shutdown?

Check to make sure you do not have the keyboard and mouse cable swapped.

Aidan Grey

Old January 28th 05, 05:29 PM
Michael Smirnov679672975

I've just install WIndows 2000 Server
on a ML 370 G3 server.

When I "restart" Windows,
all keys on the keyboard do not works, even Ctrl+Alt+Del!
However, when I "Shut down" Windows
and then start it (by pressing the power button),
the keyboard works!

I changed the keyboard to another model, but it didn't help.

What should I try to make the keyboard work
after reboot, no only after shutdown?

Check to make sure you do not have the keyboard and mouse cable swapped.

I've checked - the cables are correct.

Recently I booted from a Windows XP PE CD, mouse and keyboard worked OK.
I did "Start"-Studown-Restart.
The ML370 rebooted, and - keyboard doesn't work again,
for example Pause and Num Lock don't work during the boot process.
Than, when Windows PE CD started - the keyboard also didn't work.
Again, only after power off and power on the keyboard began to work.

Also I tried to boot from FreeBSD 5.2 CD - the same behavior!

So, this strange bug it is not OS-dependant.
I have no ideas...

Old January 28th 05, 06:49 PM
NuTCrAcKeR

"Michael Smirnov679672975" wrote in message
[...]

this sounds like a flakey hardware component to me. Contact HP and have them
send you a new systemboard.

- LC

Old February 6th 05, 05:47 PM
Michael Smirnov679672975

[...]

Arrrgh!!
Now I think it's a KVM-switch-related problem!
It occures only when I use my KVM Switch (AESP Signamax 098-8080).
When I connect the keyboard directly - no problems!

Old February 6th 05, 06:19 PM
NuTCrAcKeR

[...]

What make and model of the KVM? Digital, Serial, USB ?

please please please dont say ' belkin ' ...

Did you try other ports in the switch?
- NuTs

Old February 7th 05, 10:31 AM
Hank Arnold

Why say that??? We use a Belkin 8-port with no problems at all...

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

Old February 7th 05, 05:56 PM
NuTCrAcKeR

"Hank Arnold" wrote in message
Why say that??? We use a Belkin 8-port with no problems at all...

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

"NuTCrAcKeR" wrote in message

What make and model of the KVM? Digital, Serial, USB ?

please please please dont say ' belkin ' ...

Belkin might be ok if your network is at home. I have replaced more belkin
KVM switches in production environments that I can remember.

Old February 7th 05, 06:47 PM
Phil Harwood

I agree with Nutcracker on Belkin products.

I'm getting ready to sell a new Apex Outlook 180DX. in the (open) box. cheap
That's an 8 port onscreen display. If interested.... We use several Outlooks
in our system and never had the first problem. Also have some used 6 foot
Raritan kvm cables like new shape.
http://www.avocent.com/web/en.nsf/Content/OutLook+180DX

Sorry, not spamming the board, was just compiling a list of stuff we are
getting rid of when I saw the post.
Phil