How to underclock the AMD X2 3800+ processor ?

Old June 17th 07, 06:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Skybuck Flying

Default Bios settings ?

Ok,

I just tried it.

I did notice something dangerous.

Asus AI Booster tool, set the FID/VID change to manual and the voltage was
set at something like 1.41 voltages..

I thought that was kinda high !

The default setting should have been auto... I think not using auto seems
dangerous to me... I set the Asus AI Booster to auto... but it didn't help..
I am sure of that

Anyway it turns out the minimum multiplier that can be selected is: 6x.. or
maybe 6.5x don't remember clearly... probably 6x.

Which is again wacky...

Because the AMD power monitor/cool n quiet was able to run at 1000 mhz !?

Now the processor is running at 1200 MHZ.

I also set the voltage to 1.1 volts...

Which is probably too low for 1200 mhz... but so far it's working.

Now I don't know what the correct voltage is for 1200 mhz ?

Any idea how to figure that out ?

Ofcourse I could do calculation myself, let's see what I would come up with:

1.4 volts / 2000 mhz = 0.0007 volts per mhz.

alternatively:

1.1 volts / 1000 mhz = 0.0011 volts per mhz.

Using result 1:

1200 * 0.0007 = 0.84 volts

Using result 2:

1200 * 0.0011 = 1.3 volts.

Big difference...

Result 1 probably wrong.

Result 2 maybe a bit high...

However the processor probably needs a minimum ammount of voltage to do it's
thing any additional mhz is more voltage so let's try it as follows:

2000 mhz - 1000 mhz = 1000 mhz

1.4 volts - 1.1 volts = 0.3 volts.

0.3 / 1000 = 0.0003 volts per mhz.

200 * 0.0003 = 0.06 volts additional volts.

Finally voltage ? 1.16 volts.

Hmm.

Anyway temperature drops are immediaty... even when altering airflow.

Lower multipler and cpu temperature is now 4 to 6 degrees cooler:

CPU temperatu 35 degrees, ambient room temperatu 24 degrees.

Motherboard temperatu 42 to 43 degrees...

Maybe 1 degree cooler.

Haven't tried any games yet..

Gonna do that next =D

I expect Battlefield 2 to crash because voltages to low... but who knows..

I might just work..

Also I don't expect to much frame drops or so...

Since graphics cards do most the work me thinks.

Here goes...

Bye,
Bye for now
Skybuck.

Old June 17th 07, 08:11 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Skybuck Flying

Well that was pretty interesting.

Just played Battlefield 2 Full.

Pretty stable.

A bit slower, a bit lag noticeable... but nothing to bad.

Still very good playable... frame rates about 20 to 50 fps.

The remarkble thing is the CPU is 10 degrees cooler !

(40 degrees during gaming compared to 50 to 51 degrees)

The temperature in the room is 0.5 degrees cooler, which is noticeable.

Good be nice feature for in the summer.

Or overall feature for longer live.

Motherboard is 46 degrees during gaming instead of 49 or even 50 degrees.

Gonna try civ3 later on

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old June 17th 07, 09:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,nl.comp.hardware
Michael Hawes

Default How to underclock the AMD X2 3800+ processor ?

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message
Underclocking is altering the frequency of the processor clock, its
not adjusting voltages !

If you want to underclock then go into the BIOS and change the CPU
frequency.

Probably not possible... processor "locked".

I read trick once about lowering voltage would reduce cpu speed..

Apperently not...

Thanks anyway

Ok thanks to spambox I now know how to do it...

Look for the option: FID/VID change... set it to manual... new options
will become available.

Bye,
Skybuck.

See my post/ 15/06/07. Cool & Quiet does what you are trying to do! So
Just enable it and set WinXP Power Management to 'minimal'.

Mike.

Old June 18th 07, 02:22 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Skybuck Flying

Ok after a while civ 3 got kinda laggy...

Maybe something else in system taking too much time or maybe it really is
the cpu

Closed some services maybe that helps

Bye,
Skybuck.