How to underclock the AMD X2 3800+ processor ?

Old June 16th 07, 04:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,nl.comp.hardware
Skybuck Flying

Default How to underclock the AMD X2 3800+ processor ?

"Michael Hawes" wrote in message

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message
Underclocking is altering the frequency of the processor clock, its
not adjusting voltages !

If you want to underclock then go into the BIOS and change the CPU
frequency.

Probably not possible... processor "locked".

I read trick once about lowering voltage would reduce cpu speed..

Apperently not...

Thanks anyway

Bye,
Skybuck.

Mutiplyer is locked, but if you reduce FSB by 20%, CPU will run 20%
slower and cooler, plus you can reduce Vcc when CPU running slower. THAT
is what Cool & Quiet does! It Has no effect on motherboard temps or fan
speeds. If you have autofan ON, fan will slow down as CPU is cooler. For
Cool & Quiet to work, you have to have 'minimal power saving' set in Powe
Options in Control Panel.

How to lower FSB ?

It's probably already on minimum setting ?

Not sure though...

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old June 16th 07, 07:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
SpamBox[_2_]

Default Bios settings ?

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message
I don't think I can change the multiplier ? Apperently it's locked for this
CPU.

However I read about a trick once...

Lowering the voltage for the processor was supposed to make it run
slower...

I was trying to lower the overall motherboard temperature...

Lowering the cpu temperature doesn't effect it that much...

So not much use anyway...

However... maybe I could lower the cpu fan and get less noise..

But then again the cpu fan might be necessary to keep the motherboard cool
as well

Bye,
Skybuck.

The multiplier is only locked if you try and increase it - decresing it
should be fine. One of the tricks used by overclockers is to reduce the
multiplier and increase the CPU clock e.g. in your case 200 x 10(multi) =
2000 but 240 x 9 = 2160. There is a bit more to it than just changing these
settings though as you have to also change the memory timings and SB link
multipliers.

Basically leave your clock speed where it is and lower the multiplier one
step at a time until you reach the desired slower speed. In real terms, I
don't you you could expect this to lower the system temp in a big way. If
you have a tower case you may want to look at something like this: -
http://www.vadim.co.uk/Scythe+Kama+Bay+Black. I was having all sorts of
problems with my system until I stuck one of these is - turned out the RAM
was getting too hot. Installing the Kama Bay fan dropped the system temps
and my PC has been fine ever since.

These are also plenty of good after-market CPU cooling solutions. If you
have a look at http://www.quietpc.com/ (where quiet is the name of the game)
you should get a good idea of the sort of thing to go for.

Glennbo

Old June 16th 07, 02:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Floor

Skybuck Flying:

This is a very interesting test:

AMD's Cool N Quiet is enabled.
Asus's Q-Fan control is disabled.

get a job :-)
Floor

Old June 16th 07, 03:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,nl.comp.hardware
Bhagat Gurtu

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 05:36:58 +0200, Skybuck Flying wrote:

How to lower FSB ?

It's probably already on minimum setting ?

Get some lowered groundplane spacers from a specialty provider in your
area. You should be able to lower all of you buses at least 1mm this way.

Not sure though...

You're a genuine ****wit, that is for sure. It must be lonely in
those clogs.

Old June 16th 07, 05:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,nl.comp.hardware
Skybuck Flying

"Bhagat Gurtu" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 05:36:58 +0200, Skybuck Flying wrote:

How to lower FSB ?

It's probably already on minimum setting ?

Get some lowered groundplane spacers from a specialty provider in your
area. You should be able to lower all of you buses at least 1mm this way.

Lol, idiot.

Not sure though...

You're a genuine ****wit, that is for sure. It must be lonely in
those clogs.

LOL idiot.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old June 16th 07, 05:41 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Skybuck Flying

I have no idea where the "multiplier" is in my bios or if it's even present
?

Could you take a look at the manual for the asus a8n32-sli and tell me if
you see an option anywhere ?

The only things which kinda look like multipliers is:

SB to NB 10x

K8 to SB 10x

Or something like that.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old June 16th 07, 05:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying

"Floor" wrote in message
Skybuck Flying:

This is a very interesting test:

AMD's Cool N Quiet is enabled.
Asus's Q-Fan control is disabled.

get a job :-)
Floor

Why would I enslave myself ?

Get a clue

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old June 17th 07, 10:05 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
SpamBox[_2_]

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message
I have no idea where the "multiplier" is in my bios or if it's even present
?

Could you take a look at the manual for the asus a8n32-sli and tell me if
you see an option anywhere ?

The only things which kinda look like multipliers is:

SB to NB 10x

K8 to SB 10x

Or something like that.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Okay. Juat had a quick look and was surprised to see so many options in the
AdvancedJumper Free config section of the BIOS (guess thats the difference
between my cheapo Asrock and top notch a ASUS board). The option you want to
look at is FID/VID change. Once you set to manual, two new options should
open up, including Processor Freqency Multiplier. Seriously though, if you
couldn't find this by yourself in the manual, I would have second thoughts
about adjusting any of the settings in the BIOS. I don't mean this in a
horrible way but I would hate for you to kill your processor/motherboard
because you were unsure of what you were doing.

Glennbo

Old June 17th 07, 06:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Skybuck Flying

"SpamBox" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks.

Indeed this option is mentioned in the manual.

I am not familier with these FID and VID terms.

If it was called "processor multiplier" and/or "processor frequency" and/or
"processor voltage" then I would have found it lol.

Big thanks for finding it.

However I need to study this some more and think about.

I take your warning seriously... also maybe not worth screwing around with
cpu... but at least now I know how to do it !

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old June 17th 07, 06:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message
Underclocking is altering the frequency of the processor clock, its
not adjusting voltages !

If you want to underclock then go into the BIOS and change the CPU
frequency.

Probably not possible... processor "locked".

I read trick once about lowering voltage would reduce cpu speed..

Apperently not...

Thanks anyway

Ok thanks to spambox I now know how to do it...

Look for the option: FID/VID change... set it to manual... new options will
become available.

Bye,
Skybuck.