Question on native resolution

Old November 28th 05, 04:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

Default Question on native resolution

I was checking out the VP231wb LCD. It says the native resolution is
1920x1200. That is as high as I could imagine wanting for quite a while.
Normally I would probably want to view it at a lower resolution. Is there
any problem with viewing at a lower resolution? An acquaintance once told me
you should always view LCDs at their native resolution.

Thanks

Old November 28th 05, 05:38 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

At a lower resolution, the image will be resampled by the monitor up to
1920x1200. This may or may not look good depending on the monitor's
resampling method. On some monitors it has the effect of free "FSAA".

960x600 will still look perfect, because it's exactly 1/4 the native
resolution. However, you may find that too low.

Old November 28th 05, 08:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

i am with you. always purchase at the "native resolution" i intend to use.

easier ? lazy ? most likely. But I feel pretty sure I won't be disappointed once
connected in my computer system.

my prob is that I want the dot pitch res like my old CRT's and that is confusing to me. I
feel i've given up on that quality of resolution for now.
I have two HP pavilion f1903's good for me - great for me.
http://www.smokeypoint.com/My_PC.htm

hope this helps,

** no fate **

dracman

Tomb Raider: Shotgun City

http://www.smokeypoint.com/tomb.htm

** Final Fantasy Online mega ingame Pictures ! **
** for those whom wonder about "whats it like anyway huh"

http://www.smokeypoint.com/ffxionline/traod.html
http://www.smokeypoint.org/ffxionlin...ibb/Jueno.html

** World of Warcraft adventuring North to Ironforge. Dwarf Airport Discovered
http://www.smokeypoint.org/wow/worldofwarcraft.html

** No Pili'kaia **

"comcast" wrote in message
:I was checking out the VP231wb LCD. It says the native resolution is
: 1920x1200. That is as high as I could imagine wanting for quite a while.
: Normally I would probably want to view it at a lower resolution. Is there
: any problem with viewing at a lower resolution? An acquaintance once told me
: you should always view LCDs at their native resolution.
:
: Thanks
:
:

at http://www.TitanNews.com

Old November 29th 05, 05:35 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

"comcast" wrote in message
I was checking out the VP231wb LCD. It says the native resolution is
1920x1200. That is as high as I could imagine wanting for quite a while.
Normally I would probably want to view it at a lower resolution. Is there
any problem with viewing at a lower resolution? An acquaintance once told
me you should always view LCDs at their native resolution.

Thanks

With the higher resolution LCD monitors, they scale down quite well because
of the small pixel size over the surface area. My 1600x1200 20.1" Dell LCD
looks great when scaled at the same ratio (4:3) of 1280x960, 1024x768, or
800x600.

With the widescreen, the aspect ratio is 16:10 which is a little taller than
the standard HDTV of 16:9 if you're using it for movies. Problem is too that
most games, except for some of the most recent will only run in 4:3 aspect
ratio so you'll be relegated to 1600x1200, 1280x960, 1024x768, or 800x600
with black bands at the side (like standard res TV on an HDTV). So best to
decide if you really need a wide aspect monitor, since it will mainly only
be good for extra PC desktop real estate or for movie viewing.

To put it plainly, the higher res LCD monitors usually scale nicely to lower
resolutions of same aspect ratio.