Proliant 1850R and Fedora 4

Old July 23rd 05, 02:40 AM
Robert Bates

Default Proliant 1850R and Fedora 4

I decided today that it would be a good idea to update my 1850R with one
PIII 600 128meg and a 18.2 G drive running Red Hat 9.0 to Fedora Core 4
which turned out to be a mistake. It now hangs on any instance of X server,
including the graphical installation. I was able to complete a text install
but on reboot, as soon as it started to load the X server it locked up tight
with a black screen. It will also lock if the key pad is touched. Any
ideas for a solution?

Old July 23rd 05, 02:59 AM
NuTCrAcKeR

if you boot into text mode, and run the Xsetup app, is the video chipset
correctly identified? That a pretty old box, and that version of Fedora may
not fully support all old components.

Another questions would be, in the SystemConfigurationUtility, did you
specify your OS as LINUX? I have seen issues if you dont set the OS type
properly under other Linux, and Linux based OS's.

To set the OS type, get into where you can see the OS, and choose Other. One
of the OTHER options, will be linux. It may help.

- LC

Old July 23rd 05, 04:06 AM
Robert Bates

I tried using the erase utility with smartstart and then the manual
installation Linux as the OS. I was using smartstart 4.80, I'll try 5.5
tomorrow, there might be a difference. I'm not sure on this distro how to
boot in text mode, I have always set my servers up to boot to text mode and
then started the X server but in this version the default installation is
GUI.

Thanks

Old July 23rd 05, 06:43 AM
Phil

Robert,
Fedora core 3 will work without any problems at all on that unit. You can
install in the graphics mode if you want (I did) or any other mode. I have
Fedora core 3 on 10 or 12 of those 1850R's now.

I remember that I searched days for the trick to the key to it but I figured
it out the hard way. Nothing on the Damn net about it either. The only thing
you have to do on the computer side is set the os for Linux like Nutcracker
said. I took smartstart 5.5, erased everything and said Linux for the os and
when it gets to the point to load the software insert fedora disk one. When
the disk boots you have an option of modifying the startup line on the
kernel. You plug in the string I give you and it loads as good and easy as
any machine there is. It's Real simple. There were no issues with it finding
anything including video and a raid 3200 card.

What ya give for the secret !

Na, Just joking, I'll be happy to share the trick, I have to walk over to
the other building where all my notes are and I'm going to grab a sandwich
first. Long day... I might be able to get back here after while or may be
morning. Oh, one other note. I updated the kernel on one machine last night
to the latest version and the thing crashed. May be a bug with the newest
kernel, I didn't have time to explore. I just changed the startup line back
to use one of the older kernels an back perking like new.
You might want to use caution with that latest kernel. (that is only on
updates) All other updates went well with no glitches.

Phil Harwood

Old July 23rd 05, 07:00 AM
Phil

Oops, just noticed you said 4 not 3 in your post.
I'm on three but it should still be fine on 4. You probably won't have the
kernel issues on 4 updates.

. ..

Old November 8th 05, 04:30 AM
jayjyo

Hello I have the same issue with Fedora Core 4 and Proliant 1850R
(video/X windows). Phil I did not see the answer in the thread... "Na,
Just joking, I'll be happy to share the trick,". Could you please share
the line prior to kicking off the install of Fedora 4. X windows is
required for the purpose of the install for this system.

Thanks
Jerry

Phil Wrote:
Oops, just noticed you said 4 not 3 in your post.
I'm on three but it should still be fine on 4. You probably won't have
the
kernel issues on 4 updates.

"Phil" wrote in message
. ..-

[...]

"Robert Bates"
wrote in message
...-
I tried using the erase utility with smartstart and then the manual
installation Linux as the OS. I was using smartstart 4.80, I'll try
5.5
tomorrow, there might be a difference. I'm not sure on this distro
how--
to--
boot in text mode, I have always set my servers up to boot to text
mode-
and-
then started the X server but in this version the default
installation--
is--
GUI.

Thanks

"NuTCrAcKeR"
...-

wrote in message
[...]

-

-

-

--
jayjyo
Old November 9th 05, 03:03 AM
Jeffrey Alsip

I have had extremely good success with Fedora Core 4 on my 3000...but
it never occurred to me to try it using the onboard video. Even if it
did work, the quality would be miserable. If video quality is not an
issue (if for instance you are running the system as a server) then you
should be able to do everything you need to do from the command
line...thus the text install is the answer.

I felt the need to see some graphics, if only for system monitoring. My
solution was to abandon the onboard video and install a much better
(almost anything is) PCI video card. Now, the FC4 developers have
really put a lot of effort into video card compatability, and almost
any Matrox, Nvidia, or Savage card will work right out of the starting
gate. It may be neccessary to do some editing of the /etc/X11/xorg.conf
to get the settings just right...but that is certainly nothing to be
afraid of.

A decent 16M card can be had on ebay for a couple dollars more than the
cost of shipping. Pop it in, disable onboard video, run the HCU and you
are off!

Jeff

Old November 9th 05, 05:40 PM
jayjyo

Thanks Jeff,

I have considered this as an option (replacing the video card) and
will take your advice putting in a PCI version. The 1850R will be used
as a server but the installation documentation for its purpose
instructs to load the X windows system as part of the install (Scalix
Community Email Server). I just saw this thread when I was trying to
find a fix and “Phil’s” Post indicated that he had an answer but never
lists it on the Post.

I have a few Proliant’s (DL380, ML370 and 1850R), Fedora Core 4 loads
on the other two servers in GUI mode without an issue just with the
1850R. I realize that the GUI would probably at best be 640X480 but I
thought that would be enough to get by for the install and then do
everything else from a console. And I have installed in text mode
before but I consider myself to be a beginner in Linux and the first
time I like to follow the instruction to the T and then mess it all
up.

I guess I just wanted to know what that string was to add some
knowledge to my otherwise empty head.

Thanks
Jerry

Old November 10th 05, 01:58 PM
Robert Bates

Phil saved me with my 1850r. Here is what he sent me:

The line that will make it work regardless is as follows

linux apm=off acpi=off ide=nodma nousb nopsmcia noapic nofb

Ok, there is 3 days worth of work, the combination to the safe!

Type that string just like it is above and it will load perfectly. After it
is set up, you need to modify the startup file with those switches. The auto
install process will not pass all those switches to the startup file that is
automatically created, just a few of them You want all in that line..