Looking for a recommendation

Old June 17th 07, 05:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

Default Looking for a recommendation

Hi guys,

I hope someone can give me some advice here...

My gfx card just popped so i need a cheap replacement.

Im looking to upgrade my whole pc in the near future, but for the time
being im just looking for a cheap fix.

It needs to be agp (8x i think), i need to to support dual output
(independant, not just cloning) One for my analogue monitor and one
for my TV (its got analogue PC in + HDMI)

Can someone suggest a cheap (but decent) card that will fit my needs?

Thanks alot,

Andrew

Old June 18th 07, 01:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

On 18 Jun, 11:00, (P Gagg) wrote:
In article .com,

*From:*
*Date:* Sun, 17 Jun 2007 09:43:35 -0700

Hi guys,

I hope someone can give me some advice here...

My gfx card just popped so i need a cheap replacement.

Depends what you define as "cheap"?

All AGP cards are relatively cheap compared to the new generation of PCIe
DirectX 10 cards.

I'd say something like a Nvidia 7600GS (or GT) may be what you are
looking for, as its got ok performance and is cheap.

*Peter* - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergagg/

Hi,

What do you think of the following:
MSI FX5200-TD128LF FX 5200 128 MB DDR DVI - TV out AGP

These FX series cards that say they support dual monitors, do they
work the same way as having two video cards, or does it just create a
single widescreen desktop? I really need the former, where you can
'maximise' windows on to each screen independantly, but so u can also
restore and drag them between screens.

Thanks for the help

Andrew

Old June 18th 07, 02:45 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

wrote:
On 18 Jun, 11:00, (P Gagg) wrote:
In article .com,

*From:*
*Date:* Sun, 17 Jun 2007 09:43:35 -0700
Hi guys,
[...]

The FX5200 does have some good points:

1) Works in my 440BX ancient machine (3.3V only slot).
2) Works in AGP8X slots (875P and Nforce2)

I think I did a test with it, where my LCD was connected to
the VGA port, and my TV was connected to the video output. I may have
tested a couple of the desktop modes in Nview, and they seemed to work.
But my TV is pretty crappy, when driven with composite, so this is
not a config I use on a regular basis. (And I'm not using the card
at the moment.)

One issue with the FX5200 that you might want to check, is I suspect
the DVI output won't go all the way to 165MHz. I don't have a DVI
monitor to test with, so I've never checked to see what resolutions
are available. That would be a potential problem for the larger monitors.

If you go through the Newegg reviews for video cards, it is possible
someone will mention the max digital resolution they were offered by
the Nvidia driver. A few URLs were tossed out here, with examples of
what the video card manufactuter's claim. I always dread trying to
track down individual examples of this.

http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.co...33b6c8461d7e91

Other than that, for a cheap card, it isn't bad. It is not a real
gamers card. And the main benefit for me, is I can use it in any
of my AGP machines.

Paul