POST hangs at "PCI Auto Config" on PL3000 (PII) using ATI Rage Pro 128, etc

Old January 8th 06, 11:54 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Default POST hangs at "PCI Auto Config" on PL3000 (PII) using ATI Rage Pro 128, etc

Greetings:

I have a problem which is evidently known but unresolved
and not well publicized: ATI Rage Pro 128 products hang
POST at "PCI Auto Config" on the PL 3000 (PII version).
I also found that my LP 3000 fibre channel HBA will
occasionally do the same.

BIOS version is latest of course and evidently there
was a fix for Presarios with the same problem but of
course there wasn't for the PL 3000.

I _NEED_ ATI graphics for the video applications we
need to run on this box. Does anyone have experience
as to what high-end ATI boards will work here?

Regards,

Michael

P.S. Jeffrey Alsip -- please try again to email me at
msg (at) waste (dot) org; I've sent several emails to you
at jeffreyalsip (at) qmail (dot) com and they haven't bounced but
you must not have received them.

Old January 9th 06, 01:49 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Use a RILOE ( or RILOE II ) Board ... it has the same ATI video chip and
much higher graphics performance than the onboard provision. You get
graphics, and a true remote console too.

- LC

ups.com...

Old January 9th 06, 07:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

NuTCrAcKeR wrote:

Use a RILOE ( or RILOE II ) Board ... it has the same ATI video chip and
much higher graphics performance than the onboard provision. You get
graphics, and a true remote console too.

That sounds like a solution; I didn't know what GPU was on that board.
I studied the pdf manual for the board hoping to learn the hardware
specs for the VGA side but they aren't published; do you have one
installed on an NT/2K box? Could you let me know how much VRAM
and what the DAC speed shows in Device Manager? I will need at
least 8MB of VRAM and 300MHz DAC (specs for the ATI AIW Rage 128 Pro
are 16MB and 350MHz).

One last 'minor detail': I will be using the ATI MultiMedia Center
utilities -- they are very picky about 'supported ATI hardware'
when starting. A very useful experiment would be to install version
7.1 MMC from the ATI site (and the 'rage_fury_pro' drivers for Win2k)
and see if they will accept the RILOE. If you have the opportunity
to test this, please let us know.

Regards,

Michael
Old January 10th 06, 02:16 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

give up now ...

Im not sure about the DAC on the controller. Its a server, so its not
supposed to do workstation quality graphics. The chip is the 3D RAGE IIC
PCI, but I cant get any info off the DAC. Its not beefy ... maybe 4MB of
VRAM. The multimedia tools probably wont work with it.

- LC

Old January 10th 06, 04:38 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

One additional question...

The manual describes the 'in-band management' capabilities
over the Ethernet I/F; this implies that the NIC can be
used by the host O/S. Can you confirm this (does the NIC
appear as a device usable for a 'local area connection' in
Win2k/NT)?

Regards,

Michael

Old January 11th 06, 12:43 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

"msg" wrote in message
One additional question...

The manual describes the 'in-band management' capabilities
over the Ethernet I/F; this implies that the NIC can be
used by the host O/S. Can you confirm this (does the NIC
appear as a device usable for a 'local area connection' in
Win2k/NT)?

Regards,

Michael

I dont understand the question. could you please site the document, or post
a link to it so that I may properly understand the context of your question?

thx,

- LC

Old January 11th 06, 02:42 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

LC,

I dont understand the question. could you please site the document, or post
a link to it so that I may properly understand the context of your question?

Sorry, I was referring to the prev. msg. in this thread. I just
wanted to know if the NIC on the RILOE can be used independently of
the management features, eg. as a NIC in Win2k. It just seemed a
little odd that the RILOE User's Guide (PDF) would describe 'in-band'
management over ethernet if the NIC wasn't useable by the host O/S.

Regards,

Michael