windows 2000 server and radeon?

Old October 6th 03, 01:52 PM
Ben Pope

Default windows 2000 server and radeon?

Joop wrote:
On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 12:33:09 +0100, "Ben Pope"
wrote:

Try extracting the driver and installing manually...

I actual never did that, but i will give it a try!

You'll also have to faff about with installing the other tools...

I take it changing the driver back to standard vga allows you to logon
again?

Yes, works perfect with vga or another videocard.

OK.

How did you "uninstall" windows 2K?

deltree winnt

Right, so pretty clean then :-)

More to the point how did you install,
witha clean drive or over another version of windows?

I was not a clean drive, but the windows related folders where deleted
manual (winnt, program files, document setting, a couple of files in
the root).

Fine.

I installed Win2K slipstreamed with SP4 onto a clean drive and
experienced no problems using the method you described.

That's very strange..

Yep.

I'm using A7N8X Deluxe, 9800 Pro, WD Raptor as boot drive and it was a
breeze.

Ben

Old October 6th 03, 04:43 PM
Joop

wrote:

Try extracting the driver and installing manually...

I actual never did that, but i will give it a try!

You'll also have to faff about with installing the other tools...

What do you mean by "faff"?

I've just installed the display drivers manually, i only installed the
display drivers (without any extra radeon tools). But i still can't
logon, still 7000 event errors and (0xC0000142) codes over the place

I am wondering my control panel says that i have 2 radeon 9700 pro's,
but i have a 9700 non-pro. I tried installing the "9500-9700" driver
but still no-go at the logon screen.

I installed Win2K slipstreamed with SP4 onto a clean drive and
experienced no problems using the method you described.

That's very strange..

Yep.

I'm using A7N8X Deluxe, 9800 Pro, WD Raptor as boot drive and it was a
breeze.

Are you also using the server version of windows 2000?

joop
Old October 6th 03, 05:11 PM
Ben Pope

Joop wrote:
What do you mean by "faff"?

Figure out how. Not that I expect it to be especially difficult. The newer
catalysts install various kit other than just the driver - to be honest I
don't pay much attention as it works seamlessly for me :-)

If you look at pre-3.6 you'll find more than one download to contend with (I
started with 3.6 and upgraded to 3.7)

If you wait until the 8th, you can use the 3.8s, until then, maybe try an
older version.

I've just installed the display drivers manually, i only installed the
display drivers (without any extra radeon tools). But i still can't
logon, still 7000 event errors and (0xC0000142) codes over the place

I have never come across this with any driver... I presume you have DX9
installed? Thats the only thing I can think of right now. Is there any
more information to be gleaned from the logs?

I am wondering my control panel says that i have 2 radeon 9700 pro's,
but i have a 9700 non-pro. I tried installing the "9500-9700" driver
but still no-go at the logon screen.

No difference between the Pro and non-Pro (in terms of driver) and you do
have two... one for each display.

Are you also using the server version of windows 2000?

Yes.

Ben

Old October 6th 03, 06:41 PM
Joop

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 17:11:00 +0100, "Ben Pope"
wrote:

Joop wrote:
What do you mean by "faff"?

Figure out how. Not that I expect it to be especially difficult. The newer
catalysts install various kit other than just the driver - to be honest I
don't pay much attention as it works seamlessly for me :-)

You're lucky

If you look at pre-3.6 you'll find more than one download to contend with (I
started with 3.6 and upgraded to 3.7)

If you wait until the 8th, you can use the 3.8s, until then, maybe try an
older version.

I did try the 3.6 version, i'll soon try a lower version.

I've just installed the display drivers manually, i only installed the
display drivers (without any extra radeon tools). But i still can't
logon, still 7000 event errors and (0xC0000142) codes over the place

I have never come across this with any driver... I presume you have DX9
installed?

Yes, the latest dx9b i think.

Thats the only thing I can think of right now. Is there any
more information to be gleaned from the logs?

No

I am wondering my control panel says that i have 2 radeon 9700 pro's,
but i have a 9700 non-pro. I tried installing the "9500-9700" driver
but still no-go at the logon screen.

No difference between the Pro and non-Pro (in terms of driver) and you do
have two... one for each display.

Are you also using the server version of windows 2000?

Yes.

Is it possible that my power is not enough, i currently have a 300
watt aopen power supply. A harddisk and a radeon are the only devices
in my computer. I have read that the following was a little low and
could cause problems:

+12v = 11a
-12v = 0,8a

(this is from this white label on the site of my power supply). Could
that be the problem?

joop
Old October 6th 03, 08:08 PM
Ben Pope

Joop wrote:
Is it possible that my power is not enough, i currently have a 300
watt aopen power supply. A harddisk and a radeon are the only devices
in my computer. I have read that the following was a little low and
could cause problems:

+12v = 11a

That could be alittle low. I have a cheapo 450W (measured as the peak
output, naughty) and it's 12A maz, 16A peak.

-12v = 0,8a

Not required for much if anything these days.

Ben

Old October 7th 03, 10:39 AM
Joop

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 20:08:59 +0100, "Ben Pope"
wrote:

Joop wrote:
Is it possible that my power is not enough, i currently have a 300
watt aopen power supply. A harddisk and a radeon are the only devices
in my computer. I have read that the following was a little low and
could cause problems:

+12v = 11a

That could be alittle low. I have a cheapo 450W (measured as the peak
output, naughty) and it's 12A maz, 16A peak.

-12v = 0,8a

Not required for much if anything these days.

It's working! I did install windows 2000 professional edition and now
it works, i can logon and do everything i want. Strange cause i
followed the same path when installing windows 2000 professional as i
did when installing windows 2000 server. I can see no difference
between my non-working installation and my working installation other
that its not the server version but the professional version. It's
mind buggling

joop
Old October 7th 03, 10:55 AM
Ben Pope

Joop wrote:
It's working! I did install windows 2000 professional edition and now
it works, i can logon and do everything i want. Strange cause i
followed the same path when installing windows 2000 professional as i
did when installing windows 2000 server. I can see no difference
between my non-working installation and my working installation other
that its not the server version but the professional version. It's
mind buggling

Weird, maybe your server version is corrupt or something.

I don't think there are any benefits to running server over professional
really - not unless you want to run MS servers (FTP, Telnet etc.), but I'd
prefer not to allow that level of access to my machine with MS tools.

Ben

Old October 7th 03, 11:15 AM
Joop

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 10:55:37 +0100, "Ben Pope"
wrote:

Joop wrote:
It's working! I did install windows 2000 professional edition and now
it works, i can logon and do everything i want. Strange cause i
followed the same path when installing windows 2000 professional as i
did when installing windows 2000 server. I can see no difference
between my non-working installation and my working installation other
that its not the server version but the professional version. It's
mind buggling

Weird, maybe your server version is corrupt or something.

It did run fine for almost 1,5 years

I don't think there are any benefits to running server over professional
really - not unless you want to run MS servers (FTP, Telnet etc.), but I'd
prefer not to allow that level of access to my machine with MS tools.

Yes, i agree, lucky i still have a notebook with windows server
installed in case i need todo something with the server edition.

Thanks for the support and replies!

joop
Old October 15th 03, 04:10 AM
bob cox

wrote:

Joop wrote:
It's working! I did install windows 2000 professional edition and now
it works, i can logon and do everything i want. Strange cause i
followed the same path when installing windows 2000 professional as i
did when installing windows 2000 server. I can see no difference
between my non-working installation and my working installation other
that its not the server version but the professional version. It's
mind buggling

Weird, maybe your server version is corrupt or something.

I don't think there are any benefits to running server over professional
really - not unless you want to run MS servers (FTP, Telnet etc.), but I'd
prefer not to allow that level of access to my machine with MS tools.

Ben

Running MS servers does give you more options in disk administrator,
for one thing, even without all those additional services and snap-ins
turned on.