SP2 / Dim2400 - speed issues

Old September 12th 04, 01:46 AM
Colin Wilson

Default SP2 / Dim2400 - speed issues

I installed SP2 last night without a hitch (or so it seemed), but the
system is now dog slow to do anything (except boot up, which settled down
nicely after several reboots).

I use ZoneAlarm 4.5 (full) and Kaspersky Personal Anti-Virus so I had to
tell the damn security applet they force on users to disable monitoring
for those components, but the way things are looking, SP2 will be getting
UNinstalled within the next 24 hours due to the performance issues.
Its running slower than the 300Mhz celery it replaced.

Not impressed.

Old September 12th 04, 02:09 AM
Ted Zieglar

Zone Alarm 4.5 is on the list of applications that have problems wirh SP 2.
Upgrade to v5.1.

"Programs that are known to experience a loss of functionality when they run
on a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer"

Did you defragment your hard disk after installing SP 2?

Ted Zieglar

t...

Old September 12th 04, 11:51 AM
Colin Wilson

Zone Alarm 4.5 is on the list of applications that have problems wirh SP 2.
Upgrade to v5.1 snip

I`ll check that out thanks

Did you defragment your hard disk after installing SP 2?

Not yet, but it isn`t simply fragmentation causing the delays - i`m
talking about a delay of 10-20 seconds for IE to start up, and similar
slow responses for other apps.

Old September 12th 04, 11:56 AM
Colin Wilson

Zone Alarm 4.5 is on the list of applications that have problems wirh SP 2.
Upgrade to v5.1.

According to M$, the error with ZA4.5 would be:

"This program does not install. If you try to install it, you receive an
"8e" Stop error every time your computer starts."

I get no errors, but I did notice a request to my ISP on port 200 after
every boot - I don`t know specifically what this is, but i`m guessing its
something to do with DNS server confirmation.

Old September 12th 04, 03:51 PM
Joe Morris

"Ted Zieglar" writes:

Zone Alarm 4.5 is on the list of applications that have problems wirh SP 2.
Upgrade to v5.1.

"Programs that are known to experience a loss of functionality when they run
on a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer"

Zone Alarm 4.5x is on the list of products with problems in an XPSP2
environment, but only for 64-bit platforms. Ditto for versions 3.7
and 4, as well as Black Ice 3.6crj (among many others with problems
on 64-bit machines).

The only flavor of ZA that's listed as being impacted by SP2 on a
32-bit platform is 5.0.590 .

Of course, this doesn't mean that there aren't problems with ZA 4.5x
under XPSP2, but they aren't mentioned in KB884130, and (so far) I've
not seen any trouble that I can pin on ZA 4.5.x .

Unrelated item: for any enterprise IT staff reading this thread, the
merged Windows XP with SP2 integrated CD was included in the September
shipment to VLA customers (SELECT, EA, and presumably academic kits
as well). Also shipped was the SP2 disk, the contents of which are
bit-for-bit identical to what was shipped to MSDN customers.

Joe Morris
Old September 16th 04, 04:14 AM
Nicolas The Great

Joe Morris wrote in message ...
"Ted Zieglar" writes:

[...]

My PC runs great so I have no reason to install SP2. I don't know
what's in SP2 but I'm not going to install it until I need it?

Nick
Old September 16th 04, 09:40 AM
Hank Arnold

You need it.....

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

"Nicolas The Great" wrote in message
om...

How to speed up my CPU? MC General 11 December 12th 04 09:11 PM
800LCi - 802.11b speed issues Joel Acer Computers 3 July 9th 04 03:30 PM
Need for Speed Underground issues? Don Burnette Ati Videocards 8 December 22nd 03 07:09 AM
Need For Speed Underground issues matthew utt Ati Videocards 8 December 8th 03 02:44 AM
CATALYST™ Release Notes Version 3.8 Pluvious Ati Videocards 17 October 12th 03 03:40 PM