8IK1100 - Bios settings to boot from SATA drive + 2 IDE ATA drives?

Old November 6th 03, 06:21 AM
RJGraham

Default 8IK1100 - Bios settings to boot from SATA drive + 2 IDE ATA drives?

Hello,

I've put together many systems, but this is my first experience with a
Gigabyte board (GA-8IK1100 Rev. 2.0) .

I have a 120 GB Seagate SATA drive that I want to boot from, and two IDE ATA
100 drives that I'd like to use as 2nd and 3rd drives.

Can someone please tell me what bios version, settings, etc. I need to
accomplish this?

I've screwed around for several hours, installing a fresh copy of XP Pro
onto my SATA drive.
I played with the bios settings and was eventually able to boot from my SATA
drive as SATA-0 and access my IDE drives.

But, after rebooting, my system would no longer boot from SATA-0.

I've upgraded to the latest bios from Gigabytes website but still cannot get
my system to boot from SATA-0.

I'm now running with SATA in AUTO mode which maps SATA-0 to IDE-0 .
I'm sure that my SATA drive runs slower in AUTO mode then it did when
configured in MANUAL mode as SATA-0.

Thanks for any help.

-Randy

Old November 6th 03, 06:56 PM
Udo Kammer

I'm now running with SATA in AUTO mode which maps SATA-0 to IDE-0 .
I'm sure that my SATA drive runs slower in AUTO mode then it did when
configured in MANUAL mode as SATA-0.

Have you tried, what happened, when you connect the Ultra ATA-HDs to
secondary master and slave.

Udo Kammer
Kammer.Udo at gmx.info
Old November 7th 03, 04:00 AM
RJGraham

My main problem is that I can't figure out how to get the bios to boot from
my SATA drive.

Kammer.Udo at gmx.info

Old November 7th 03, 05:35 AM
Udo Kammer

My main problem is that I can't figure out how to get the bios to boot from
my SATA drive.

I am using the GA-8IPE1000 Pro and GA-IPE1000L. "On-chip SATA" is set
to Auto and "SATA Port0 Configure as" and "SATA Port1 Configure as"
are set to the Default values. It's called "Native mode", which only
can be used with XP. There is no possibility to select in the BIOS to
boot from SATA. It runs automatic using XP. With other OS you have to
remap the SATA Ports t to Ultra ATA.

If it will not run with XP, you may call the Gigabyte support for a
new BIOS. I had the same problem with the GA-8IPE1000 Pro and after
installing the new BIOS F7 I can use the SATA Ports without any
problems.

Udo Kammer
Kammer.Udo at gmx.info
Old November 7th 03, 03:41 PM
RJGraham

Thanks Udo.

But my understanding is that if "On-chip SATA" is set to AUTO mode then SATA
will automatically map to IDE 0.

I was able to get my machine to boot from SATA-0 and have my IDE drives
visible on IDE-0.

The SATA drive performance was very good.

But since 'losing' this setup after a reboot, I can now only boot from
SATA-0 in Auto mode, which maps the drive to IDE-0. The performance of my
drive in AUTO mode does not seem as good.

I already have 2 CD Drives on IDE-1.

-Randy

Kammer.Udo at gmx.info

Old November 10th 03, 12:20 AM
RJGraham

Ok, I have it all working now.

I can boot from my SATA drive as SATA-0 and access my 2nd and 3rd IDE drives
plugged into IDE-0.

The relevant bios settings a

On chip SATA: Manual
First SATA drive is SATA-0
RAID: disabled

Then, for 1st, 2nd, 3rd boot devices I make select CDROM, CDROM, CDROM, ie,
make sure SCSI and /or HDD are not selected as a boot devices.

-Randy