300w Power supply size for p4p800 can i ass a 2nd HD ?

Old December 9th 04, 01:02 PM
Paul

Default 300w Power supply size for p4p800 can i ass a 2nd HD ?

In article , "Arthur"
wrote:

hello group;
i'm currently running a p4p800SE w P4-3.0Ghz with :
-2 Optical drives (1player and 1 burner)
-1 Floppy drive
-1 radeon 9250 video card (no special power from psu needed)
-1 120mm fan
-1 120Gb 7200 rpm Ide hard drive

My actual power supply is a macron 300 watts only...
could i safely add a 2nd hard drive ? (Raptor 10k rpm SATA) or is it to much
for such a small PSU ?

Thank you !
Arthur

Try this power estimator:

http://takaman.jp/D/?english

The power supply rating printed on the label on the side
of the power supply, is what you want to compare. Look
at the rated current for +3.3, +5.0, +12V, and see if
the Macron has more current to offer, than the values
you get from the "takaman" calculator.

The power estimators I have examined on the Internet,
are uniformly pessimistic. For example, when I ran the
numbers for your system, I got close to 300W from the
"takaman" calculator. And, that estimate is higher than
it should be. The measured power for my 2.8C P4C800-E
with a 9800pro video card, is about 150W. Another disk
drive would add maybe another 12W to that, for a total
of 162W.

In the end, it is your personal judgement that counts.
If the Macron is making funny noises, gets extremely
hot while operating, or the measured voltages change
a lot when the CPU is very busy, those are also
indications that a better power supply should be
purchased. If a power supply fails, it can do some
very expensive damage.

Paul
Old December 10th 04, 12:48 AM
Arthur

Thank you !
i'll try to keep the actual psu with the second hard drive as it looks
marginal but "okay"
Thanks again !

Arthur