Dual processor system vs Single processor system

Old January 25th 04, 08:48 PM
HawkEye_42

Default Dual processor system vs Single processor system

Hi,

I know this question has been asked before, but I wanted to know if a
dual processor system would help in my situation.

I use my system to do lots of multitasking (multiple memory intensive
programs). Usually I run two instances (don't ask why, hehe) of a
game called Dark Age of Camelot (it's an online role playing game.)
The system usually runs ok with 2 instances at one time, but I do get
lag (its system lag, not internet lag, computer screen freezes for a
couple of seconds. I am running cable modem connection) when I go
into places that have lots of characters to be rendered. I was
wondering, would it help to get a dual cpu system in my case. My
system specs and performance notes are below. Thanks for any
input!!

I am running windows xp professional (not sure if it supports dual
cpu, but I do have 2000 Professional, which does support dual cpu)

ATI Radeon 9700 Pro graphics card
Nforce2 Dual channel DDR motherboard
1024 MB DDR PC3200 ram (bank one 256*2 and bank two
512*1)
120 GB harddrive
AMD 2400+ xp (way overclocked)

Following are my performance notes I got from system performance
monitor, when both instances of the game are running:

The system uses 950+ MB of available memory
100% processor

Thats everything I can think of for now. Hopefully I gave all the
important info!!

Thanks again!

Old January 26th 04, 01:27 AM
JT

On 25 Jan 2004 14:48:12 -0500, lid
(HawkEye_42) wrote:

[...]

A dual processor system might help, but only if it was a pair of processors
that were close to the speed of the processor you already have. That
doesn't leave many out there, unless you want to spend some BIG bucks. You
might want to see if one of the Intel with Hyperthreading (almost, but not
quite dual processing) might help. Get something like the 2800 or faster on
800mhz fsb with dual channel DDR. Should have fewer hesitations, but can't
say for certain in your exact situation.

JT
Old January 26th 04, 05:30 PM
Mike Walsh

Since you are running at 100% CPU usage, dual processors would help. You might be able to solve your problem by setting the foreground application for maximum performance boost.

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
Old January 27th 04, 12:01 PM
Bogdan

lid (HawkEye_42) wrote:

I know this question has been asked before, but I wanted to know if a
dual processor system would help in my situation.

I use my system to do lots of multitasking (multiple memory intensive
programs). Usually I run two instances (don't ask why, hehe) of a
game called Dark Age of Camelot (it's an online role playing game.)

Doesn't matter how many applications/games you are running, an idle
process wastes very very little CPU cycles. So, unless you have the
two games tiled on the screen so that both games are rendered
simultaneously, or the game is programmed really badly, you won't see
any speed increase with dual CPUs.

The system usually runs ok with 2 instances at one time, but I do get
lag (its system lag, not internet lag, computer screen freezes for a
couple of seconds.

That doesn't sound like CPU issue. Overworked CPU alone would slow
things down but intermittent freezes are almost always related to
device access and IO (*). Maybe memory isn't enough, maybe there are
some issues with multiple socket connections in your game.. etc.

(*) Try running an only CPU intensive (ie little RAM access) process
in the background with normal or high priority while running another
process in the background and you'll see what I mean. System should
slow down overall and more or less smoothly. Dual CPU's work best in
such situations. If both processes are competing for other slower
resources simultaneously, that will be the bottleneck and you won't
see much improvement at all w dual CPUs.