Have you ever had a working PC that wouldn't go into the BIOS mode?

Old December 13th 20, 02:47 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.hardware
Arlen Holder

Default Have you ever had a working PC that wouldn't go into the BIOS mode?

Have you ever had a working PC that wouldn't go into the BIOS mode?
o https://i.postimg.cc/GpkgdmxT/cmos01.jpg Won't go into BIOS

How did you resolve that issue?

1. The Windows machine boots to POST & then Windows 10 just fine.
2. Once booted to Windows, the USB keyboard & mouse work just fine.
3. But I can't get the PC to respect the BIOS F10 key press.

These are the key presses I know used to work:
o BIOS Menu === F10
o BOOT Menu === Escape
o DIAG Menu === F9

And yes, I'm pressing them (all the time) specifically at POST
o When it says to press "F10" to get into the BIOS.

It's like the keyboard isn't even there...
o The BIOS battery is only a few months old.

The reason I want to access the BIOS is I need to change the HyperVisor
settings for my AMD-based Foxconn motherboard for an Android emulator:
o Tutorial Installing Android Studio 4.1.1 on Windows 10 (AMD CPU)
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/g3ymz5CPsIk

o Win+R msinfo32
Windows version: Windows 10, 10.0, version 2004, build: 19041
Hardwa NY549AA-ABA p6230y, HP-Pavilion, FOXCONN, ALOE
CPU: Authentic AMD AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 810
BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. 5.02, 8/31/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Old December 13th 20, 03:17 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.hardware
Carlos E.R.

On 13/12/2020 02.47, Arlen Holder wrote:
Have you ever had a working PC that wouldn't go into the BIOS mode?
o https://i.postimg.cc/GpkgdmxT/cmos01.jpg Won't go into BIOS

Yes.

How did you resolve that issue?

Short a certain pin that would reset the UEFI configuration.

That was one case.

Another was removing any disk, because the machine was in hibernation,
and thus refused to accept enter bios till a real reboot happened. And
the disk said there was an hibernation image.

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old December 13th 20, 03:20 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.hardware
JT[_4_]

Arlen Holder wrote:

[...]

Arlen,

Does this PC's motherboard have PS/2 inputs for keyboard and mouse? (usually green and purple)

I've had older systems that the USB keyboard and mouse were not useable until Windows loaded.

Using a PS/2 style keyboard solved the issue.

Just a thought...

JT

Old December 13th 20, 03:55 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.hardware
David W. Hodgins

On Sat, 12 Dec 2020 20:47:28 -0500, Arlen Holder wrote:

Have you ever had a working PC that wouldn't go into the BIOS mode?

Yes, when using a usb dongle for a wireless keyboard/mouse. Workaround is that
when I need to access the bios menu is to boot with the dongle unplugged and
a ps/2 keyboard plugged in.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

--
Change to for
email replies.
Old December 13th 20, 04:07 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.hardware
Arlen Holder

On Sun, 13 Dec 2020 02:20:08 +0000 (UTC), JT wrote:

Using a PS/2 style keyboard solved the issue.

Hi JT,
I don't see any PS/2 inputs, nor do I have the keyboard anyway.
o https://i.postimg.cc/GpkgdmxT/cmos01.jpg

Here's what happens with the Genymotion Android 10 Pixel3a emulation:
o https://i.postimg.cc/QdqTpBsq/cmos02.jpg
"Your CPU is incompatible with virtualization technologies."

And here's what happens with the VirtualBox virtual machine:
o https://i.postimg.cc/d1gkqrmJ/cmos03.jpg
"AMD-V is disabled in the BIOS (or by the host OS)
(VERR_SVM_DISABLED)."

Googling, there's "apparently" a way to force the CMOS to come up
o Apparently by shorting a jumper somewhere (but I'm not sure where).
Old December 13th 20, 04:37 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.hardware
JT[_4_]

Arlen Holder wrote:

On Sun, 13 Dec 2020 02:20:08 +0000 (UTC), JT wrote:

Using a PS/2 style keyboard solved the issue.

Hi JT,
I don't see any PS/2 inputs, nor do I have the keyboard anyway.
o https://i.postimg.cc/GpkgdmxT/cmos01.jpg

Here's what happens with the Genymotion Android 10 Pixel3a emulation:
o https://i.postimg.cc/QdqTpBsq/cmos02.jpg
"Your CPU is incompatible with virtualization technologies."

And here's what happens with the VirtualBox virtual machine:
o https://i.postimg.cc/d1gkqrmJ/cmos03.jpg
"AMD-V is disabled in the BIOS (or by the host OS)
(VERR_SVM_DISABLED)."

Googling, there's "apparently" a way to force the CMOS to come up
o Apparently by shorting a jumper somewhere (but I'm not sure where).

What model PC?

A pic of the back of the motherboard with all the inputs would be helpful.

JT

Old December 13th 20, 05:58 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.hardware
Arlen Holder

On Sun, 13 Dec 2020 03:37:47 +0000 (UTC), JT wrote:

What model PC?

The PC make & model was listed in the opening post.
o But never mind. I solved the problem.

What I did was remove everything possible connected to the desktop.
o The only things I left connected were the absolute essentials.

And then, magically, the F10 worked just fine when POST said to tap it.
o Go figure. https://i.postimg.cc/RhSXCJQn/cmos04.jpg

A pic of the back of the motherboard with all the inputs would be helpful.

The strangest thing is this Hyper-crap, which I never understood.
1. Apparently, I have to turn it "ON" in the BIOS
2. But I have to turn it "OFF" in Windows (Turn Windows features on or off)
https://i.postimg.cc/zD2nHQqQ/cmos05.jpg

That makes no sense (to me) and, worse, is quite unintuitive (to me).
o But that's the only way I could get Android emulation to work.
https://i.postimg.cc/hjGjkX9X/cmos06.jpg

In summary, two things had befuddled me to no end (they made no sense):
A. I couldn't get to the BIOS with "stuff" plugged into the ports, and,
B. You have to turn Hyper-crap ON in BIOS and OFF in Windows,
C. Just so that Android emulation will work (on an AMD CPU).
--
If someone can explain the logic of that circumstance to me, please do.
Old December 13th 20, 05:58 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.hardware
Arlen Holder

On Sat, 12 Dec 2020 21:55:31 -0500, David W. Hodgins wrote:

Yes, when using a usb dongle for a wireless keyboard/mouse. Workaround is that
when I need to access the bios menu is to boot with the dongle unplugged and
a ps/2 keyboard plugged in.

Hi David W. Hodgins,

I solved the inability to boot to BIOS for a few days using these steps:
1. I turned off all power
2. I removed EVERYTHING that wasn't essential
3. I put the power back
4. I held the power button down for 10 seconds & then once up & down
5. When it booted to POST I tapped the F10 key
6. And I was able to get into the BIOS (for the 1st time in a days trying)

Note: I'm not sure if every step above was needed; but that's what worked!
o https://i.postimg.cc/RhSXCJQn/cmos04.jpg

The result was I could turn the virtualization ON in the BIOS.
o And then OFF in Windows (Turn Windows features on or off).

To me, that makes zero logical sense (certainly it's not intuitive)...
o But it worked, so I can move on with my Android "hello world" emulation
https://i.postimg.cc/NF900ZCY/cmos07.jpg
--
If someone can explain the logic of what just happened, please do.
Old December 13th 20, 01:13 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Carlos E.R. wrote:
On 13/12/2020 02.47, Arlen Holder wrote:
Have you ever had a working PC that wouldn't go into the BIOS mode?
o https://i.postimg.cc/GpkgdmxT/cmos01.jpg Won't go into BIOS

Yes.

How did you resolve that issue?

Short a certain pin that would reset the UEFI configuration.

That was one case.

Another was removing any disk, because the machine was in hibernation,
and thus refused to accept enter bios till a real reboot happened. And
the disk said there was an hibernation image.

I had this happen here recently.

It smacks of software having done it (OS into UEFI).
Both PS/2 and USB keyboards disappeared at the same time,
and could not be used at BIOS level. No other setting
was affected. The settings have a crude checksum mechanism,
and there was no message indicating a problem.

It took Clear CMOS to restore function, so I could
press Del (Asus) and get into the UEFI BIOS setup screen.

Clear CMOS is to be done with all power off. No +5VSB
should be present. Many instructions are missing that detail.
Asus on multiple occasions, had to release a one-page PDF
correction to the user manual about this. If you leave
the power running, the Clear CMOS button can short
out the OR-ing diode on VBAT and burn the diode.

UEFI is just a too-insecure technology. As predicted.

Paul
Old December 13th 20, 08:21 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.hardware
MajorLanGod

"JT" wrote in
:

Arlen Holder wrote:

[...]

I have a similar problem on my Ascer Aspire 5 laptop. The manual says
press F2 when booting to get to the BIOS, but I have'nt been able to get
that the work. My workaround? Windows 10 actually has an option to boot
to UEFI Bios in the Recovery-Advanced Startup pages. One of the options
under Advanced Startup is to boot to UEFI. Just make sure everything you
have going is ended and/or closed before going there.

I found out when trying to get the system to leave my keyboard lights on
all the time. Acer turns them off after 10 seconds of inactivity - they
had to do that to get their Energy Plus rating. Due to the number of
complaints, they just upgraded the Bios to give the option to keep them
on all the time WHEN RUNNING ON PLUGGED IN. They will still turn off when
running on battery, and it can't be changed.

Continuous working mode dinoz General 7 September 28th 11 06:42 PM
Sata standby mode no working? HELP PLEASE joshkgb Storage (alternative) 1 October 21st 06 04:53 PM
Games not working in clone mode GTS Nvidia Videocards 2 November 15th 04 07:06 PM
A7N8X Deluxe Rev2: BIOS error: System was not correctly shut down.... working in safe mode speed user Asus Motherboards 2 April 4th 04 02:01 AM
52.16 (tv-out) overlay clone mode not working [s]arrow Nvidia Videocards 1 October 30th 03 11:21 PM