Opinion om HP Basic PC?

Old February 28th 07, 05:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Fruit2O

Default Opinion om HP Basic PC?

My local CompUSA tech guy highly recommends the HP Desktop for a
variety of reasons - but, primarily, because it uses an ASUS
motherboard and is highly configurable and upgradable. I'm looking to
get a very high-end desktop as soon as quad processors are available
and am looking for other recommendations. Should I start with a basic
HP PC and customize it? My primary use is Photoshop, other graphics,
Browsing and email. I also have about 160 other apps on my current
system. Not into games (62 years old). My guy also recommenda an
Apple LCD screen. I liked the looks of the 30" screen and now own a
LaCie CRT monitor. Color reproduction is critical to me. I also
expect to have to move my entire sustem every 3 months or so. I now
use 12 USB ports. I am also big into backups and would like to use my
system for home entertainment. I also clone my C: drive avery week or
so - and haven't yet delved into RAID configuratoions (not sure if
they're worth it. Any and all recommendations will be very welcome.
Thank you.
Old February 28th 07, 06:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike T.

"Fruit2O" wrote in message
[...]

Holy ****, if anybody should be home-building. Yeah, I'd expect you to get
bad advice from a compusa tech guy. Either he's stupid (likely, or he'd get
a real job) or he just doesn't understand your needs, or maybe both.

Asus motherboard is a bad thing. Yeah, many experts like to praise Asus
based on short duration bench tests. So I don't blame compusa tech guy for
being sadly misinformed. Asus quality is crap. Anybody who supports them
in the field will tell you so. Slightly better than ECS/pcchips, but only
slightly. If you want a reliable car, don't look to the expert reviews, ask
your mechanic. In this case, the mechanic is TELLING you that you do NOT
want ASUS.

Beyond that, if you are going to customize something, it is NOT going to be
a prebuilt system, and most specifically NOT a HP system. HP is the only
manufacturer I know who not only undersizes the el-cheapo power supplies,
but also ships new systems WITH INCOMPATIBLE POWER SUPPLIES. Yes, that's
right. HP is the only manufacturer I know of that will ship (for example) a
computer with a PCI-express mainboard and NOT a PCI-express power supply.
Just like most manufacturers though, the power supply will be so
under-powered that you can forget about upgrading anything without replacing
the power supply.

Forget about HP specifically, and all other pre-built systems. I'm not
saying that because you are posting in a homebuilt ng. COINCIDENTALLY, your
hardware requirements all but DEMAND that you build a system yourself.
You'll have to start with a fairly beefy power supply (Seasonic something or
other around 600W or so), add a mainboard with tons of USB ports AND USB
connectors for USB ports on expansion port adapters or the computer case
(preferably Intel or AOpen brand mainboard) and lots of pci-express slots,
also. That'll be a good start. Then you'll have to choose video card and
sound card, a couple gigs of ram (or more) to match the mainboard, some
beefy SATA2 hard drive(s), etc. Post your list here when you think you've
got a good plan. The apple LCD monitor sounds great, if the color
reproduction is good. That's about the only part of what compusa guy said
that I can agree with. -Dave

Old February 28th 07, 06:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
philo

snip

[...]

I build a lot of PC's and never found anything "magical" with the Asus
mobo's...
but would say they are definately much better then ECS/ PC Chips...
but of course PC Chips is strictly bottom of the line.

Anyway...for Photoshop you definately want to use a dual core CPU...

Then befroe you go out and get a quad core...be sure the version of Phoshop
you intend to use
can support it

Old February 28th 07, 07:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JAD[_2_]

Your Asus bashing is GETTING OLD, NONE of your claims are justified, you sound like a
parrot mimicking some old fart IT guy.
Short term MY ASS, I have lost count of ASUS boards that I have put together and NOT A ONE
came back with MB related problems. Quit taking advantage of threads that include an
Asus reference, to spout YOUR OPINION! and then post it as fact.

Really I am quite sick and tired of it... and then you spout gigacrap (RENOUN for its
revisions, a FACT!) as an alternative, ridiculous.
You have alott of great advice, but this asus crap is borderline Obsessive/compulsive.

From a 'tech in the field' your full of it.................

Old February 28th 07, 07:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bob Day

"Fruit2O" wrote in message ...
[...]

1. I totally disagree with another poster about ASUS mainboards. I've
been building PC's for about 10 years now, many of them with ASUS
boards, for myself, family, and friends, and have never had a problem
with ASUS mainboards. In fact, ASUS is my preferred brand of
mainboard.

2. For a PC with the maximum reliability, consider getting or building
one that has ECC memory.

-- Bob Day

Old February 28th 07, 07:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike T.

"JAD" wrote in message

Your Asus bashing is GETTING OLD, NONE of your claims are justified, you
sound like a parrot mimicking some old fart IT guy.

Well ****, I am an old fart IT guy. IT manager, decades of experience. Go
figure.

Short term MY ASS, I have lost count of ASUS boards that I have put
together and NOT A ONE came back with MB related problems.

Played the lottery lately?

Quit taking advantage of threads that include an Asus reference, to
spout YOUR OPINION! and then post it as fact.

Well it is as much a fact as your opinion. And my opinion is shared by many
in the IT field, some of whom also post here to back it up from time to
time. Don't want to listen to me? No skin off my back. I know my computer
systems are extremely reliable, partially because there's no Asus crap in
there. But feel free to waste your money in whatever manner you see fit.

Really I am quite sick and tired of it... and then you spout gigacrap
(RENOUN for its revisions, a FACT!) as an alternative, ridiculous.

Gigacrap? I never was too crazy about them, though I'd even recommend them
over Asus, until Asus bought them. Now I'm afraid I can't recommend
gigacrap anymore.

You have alott of great advice, but this asus crap is borderline
Obsessive/compulsive.

Sheesh, just trying to help. I know hardware. Well. That's why I don't
use Asus. They're not the worst you can buy, but they are low quality and
WAY over-priced compared to other brands that are less expensive and MUCH
better quality.

I'm used to getting flamed for that opinion, but it's based on actual
real-world experience servicing thousands of systems (hundreds of thousands,
probably) over decades. Choose not to believe me if you want to, but that
doesn't mean that I'm wrong. -Dave

Old February 28th 07, 08:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
SteveH

Mike T. wrote:
"JAD" wrote in message

Your Asus bashing is GETTING OLD, NONE of your claims are
justified, you sound like a parrot mimicking some old fart IT guy.

Well ****, I am an old fart IT guy. IT manager, decades of
experience. Go figure.

Short term MY ASS, I have lost count of ASUS boards that I have put
together and NOT A ONE came back with MB related problems.

Played the lottery lately?

Quit taking advantage of threads that include an Asus reference, to
spout YOUR OPINION! and then post it as fact.

Well it is as much a fact as your opinion. And my opinion is shared
by many in the IT field, some of whom also post here to back it up
from time to time. Don't want to listen to me? No skin off my back.
I know my computer systems are extremely reliable, partially because
there's no Asus crap in there. But feel free to waste your money in
whatever manner you see fit.

Well ain't that funny? I have also built many systems, 95% of them with Asus
mobos. Funny then, isn't it, that the only ones I've ever had back for board
problems are out of the odd 5% which are not Asus.
Personally I just wish Asus would bring some sort of legal case and shut you
the hell up

SteveH

Old February 28th 07, 08:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Dean G.

On Feb 28, 1:27 pm, "Mike T." wrote:

Asus motherboard is a bad thing. Yeah, many experts like to praise Asus
based on short duration bench tests. So I don't blame compusa tech guy for
being sadly misinformed. Asus quality is crap. Anybody who supports them
in the field will tell you so. Slightly better than ECS/pcchips, but only
slightly. If you want a reliable car, don't look to the expert reviews, ask
your mechanic. In this case, the mechanic is TELLING you that you do NOT
want ASUS.

My experience with Asus in the field is that the only ones having
problems are the dorks who buy Asus because of their overclocking
reputation, then (try to) clock their 130nm Pentium 4 to 5Gz.
Afterwards they complain that it burned a hole right throught their
"crappy" Asus MB and four feet of concrete beneath it. Somehow, it
seems to me that this isn't really Asus' fault.

Dean G.

Old February 28th 07, 08:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JAD[_2_]

"Mike T." wrote in message
reenews.net...

"JAD" wrote in message

Your Asus bashing is GETTING OLD, NONE of your claims are justified, you sound like a
parrot mimicking some old fart IT guy.

Well ****, I am an old fart IT guy. IT manager, decades of experience. Go figure.

Short term MY ASS, I have lost count of ASUS boards that I have put together and NOT A
ONE came back with MB related problems.

Played the lottery lately?

Quit taking advantage of threads that include an Asus reference, to spout YOUR
OPINION! and then post it as fact.

Well it is as much a fact as your opinion. And my opinion is shared by many in the IT
field, some of whom also post here to back it up from time to time.

yeah they are called 'like thinking toadies'
and I'll wager I could get 3x the people in here to claim the opposite.

Don't want to listen to me? No skin off my back. I know my computer
systems are extremely reliable, partially because there's no Asus crap in there. But
feel free to waste your money in whatever manner you see fit.

again can't help yourself....what is it? didn't buy stock in ASUS when you should have?
My dad hates LEVI strause for that reason.

Really I am quite sick and tired of it... and then you spout gigacrap (RENOUN for its
revisions, a FACT!) as an alternative, ridiculous.

Gigacrap? I never was too crazy about them, though I'd even recommend them over Asus,
until Asus bought them. Now I'm afraid I can't recommend gigacrap anymore.

Oh come on flip flopper.....You mean you ALWAYS suggested gigabyte until ASUS bought them.
PFFFT
With a hint of actual insight when suggesting Aopen.

You have alott of great advice, but this asus crap is borderline Obsessive/compulsive.

Sheesh, just trying to help. I know hardware. Well. That's why I don't use Asus.

really can't help yourself...and now I see its just to get a rise...very mature of
you.....not

They're not the worst you can buy, but they are low quality and
WAY over-priced compared to other brands that are less expensive and MUCH better
quality.

I'm used to getting flamed for that opinion,

Yeah Im sure thats your motivation...................

but it's based on actual
real-world experience servicing thousands of systems (hundreds of thousands, probably)

I doubt that many

over decades.

You're not talking to a youngster. I have 'PUT TOGETHER' thousands for the disabled.
Requiring weird hardware and drivers. WAY off the beatin path, most of the time. I will
not use anything but Aopen or Asus. These are systems that go beyond the everyday user,
these are for people that 'The computer' is thier only link to the outside world.

I say learn how to 'put systems together'........or maybe quit trying to achieve job
security.

Choose not to believe me if you want to, but that
doesn't mean that I'm wrong. -Dave

Of course I don't 'believe' you its your OPINION....You don't use them, so how would you
know anything about them? Servicing machines that have 'loose nutz' behind the keyboard,
thats how you 'know'?

Like I said you're not stupid, just misinformed about the reliablity of ASUS.

Old February 28th 07, 08:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JAD[_2_]

"Dean G." wrote in message
ups.com...
On Feb 28, 1:27 pm, "Mike T." wrote:

[...]

Reminds me of the machine that came to me once. Asus that Asus this....Dork and a Water
cooler...need I say more?

Very basic JetDirect one man army Printers 13 September 22nd 05 07:50 AM
Very basic query MB_ Dell Computers 15 October 27th 04 03:34 AM
Looking for a basic PDA Carolyn Taliaferro Dell Computers 2 June 17th 04 09:50 PM
Basic benchmarking Steve Gateway Computers 13 September 7th 03 12:35 PM
Basic benchmarking Steve Homebuilt PC's 4 September 6th 03 09:07 PM