Booting USB on Acer Aspire 3003wlmi?

Old September 14th 06, 10:47 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
raider

Default Booting USB on Acer Aspire 3003wlmi?

Hi all,

I would like to enable the USB-Boot feature on my laptop.
It's very essential to me. Do you know any tool for editing the BIOS of my
Acer? Or maybe how to edit it via hex-editor?

Thx in advance.

--
/raider
realname (rot-13): wna gvttl
Old September 14th 06, 08:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Ron Krebs

"raider" wrote in message
Hi all,

I would like to enable the USB-Boot feature on my laptop.
It's very essential to me. Do you know any tool for editing the BIOS of my
Acer? Or maybe how to edit it via hex-editor?

Thx in advance.

Nope, and Acer doesn't want you to do this because of security issues and
licensing issues with MS. Furthermore, some flash drives aren't even
recognized as bootable by the BIOS even if they are formatted that way. I
have a Corsair Voyager and these are NOT recognized by Acer Notebooks as
bootable. However, other USB flash drives are. The Transcend Jetflash I just
got is recognized and WILL boot into a PE as long as the USB boot devices
are listed higher in priority than either the HDD or the DVD. On my 5672 I
can also enable the boot menu thru the BIOS so that I have the option during
POST to select any bootable drive (via F12). The BIOSes on notebooks have
always been notoriously skimpy and the mfg-ers will not change that despite
the pleading by its customers. There are almost NO meaningful user
configurable options in notebook BIOS'.

Ron

Old September 15th 06, 11:05 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
raider

Our unacquainted friend 'Ron Krebs' enlightened us thusly:

Nope, and Acer doesn't want you to do this because of security issues and
licensing issues with MS.

MS? Well i do not use Redmond software, Linux only mate.
And btw it's my hardware so sorry but I don't care what Acer wants.

Furthermore, some flash drives aren't even
recognized as bootable by the BIOS even if they are formatted that way.

I need to boot a USB2-HDD, and Linux only.

have a Corsair Voyager and these are NOT recognized by Acer Notebooks as
bootable. However, other USB flash drives are. The Transcend Jetflash I
just got is recognized and WILL boot into a PE as long as the USB boot
devices are listed higher in priority than either the HDD or the DVD.

I can choos only between CDROM and HDD.

On
my 5672 I can also enable the boot menu thru the BIOS so that I have the
option during POST to select any bootable drive (via F12).

I got it too, but there is no USB listed. So i want to enable it in BIOS.
I know it's there.

The BIOSes on
notebooks have always been notoriously skimpy and the mfg-ers will not
change that despite the pleading by its customers. There are almost NO
meaningful user configurable options in notebook BIOS'.

I know. So i'm just asking if someone has already hacked the BIOS of that
particullar laptop so i don't have to hack it myself.

Thx mate anyway.

Old September 16th 06, 03:42 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Ron Krebs

"raider" wrote in message
Our unacquainted friend 'Ron Krebs' enlightened us thusly:

Nope, and Acer doesn't want you to do this because of security issues

and
licensing issues with MS.

MS? Well i do not use Redmond software, Linux only mate.
And btw it's my hardware so sorry but I don't care what Acer wants.

I know and agree. Just wasn't sure you were aware of the reasons.

Furthermore, some flash drives aren't even
recognized as bootable by the BIOS even if they are formatted that way.

I need to boot a USB2-HDD, and Linux only.

First, I'm not sure any Acer will recognize USB 2.0 while in real mode.
POST shows all of my USB2's as 1.1.
Second, have you seen your USB drive listed in the BIOS boot order screen?
If not, you have three options. One, forget about booting your USB drive
(doubtful you'll settle for that). Two, wait for some bloke to create a
custom BIOS and/or BIOS hack program, unless you want to give it a go (if
you find one, please post it as I have been requesting this on many NGs).
And three, try another Flash drive if that's what you're using. If you must
use a regular 3.5 inch HDD, have you tried using an IDE to USB adapter? It
works for me. I have successfully booted from regular desktop HDDs such as
Maxtor, IBM, WD, and Hitachi by using this Bytech IDE/USB adapter. No
enclosure is even needed. It comes with it's own four pin power plug AC
cable and 80-pin to USB adapter cord. I simply set the HDD on the table,
hook it up, and the Acer sees it and boots from it with zero problems. I've
booted many times with Linux based shells. IIRC, Knoppix is one. For me this
is too cumbersome. SO i opt for the flash drive method. And have been on
the holy grail quest for a BIOS hack program ever since. Haven't found it
yet, but at least I've found a flash drive that will work.

have a Corsair Voyager and these are NOT recognized by Acer Notebooks as
bootable. However, other USB flash drives are. The Transcend Jetflash I
just got is recognized and WILL boot into a PE as long as the USB boot
devices are listed higher in priority than either the HDD or the DVD.

I can choos only between CDROM and HDD.

Is your source HDD formatted as bootable? How is it connected to the Acer?

On
my 5672 I can also enable the boot menu thru the BIOS so that I have the
option during POST to select any bootable drive (via F12).

I got it too, but there is no USB listed. So i want to enable it in BIOS.
I know it's there.

AFAIK, the F1 enable/disable of boot drives is a phantom function. It
simply DOES NOT work. Even with drives that ARE seen by the Acer BIOS. All
I ever get are beeps when I try that. Same thing with the R and F functions
for designating the drives as either fixed or removable. Completely shut
down by Acer. I suggest they remove those options if they want to bail out
on us like that.

The BIOSes on
notebooks have always been notoriously skimpy and the mfg-ers will not
change that despite the pleading by its customers. There are almost NO
meaningful user configurable options in notebook BIOS'.

I know. So i'm just asking if someone has already hacked the BIOS of that
particullar laptop so i don't have to hack it myself.
Thx mate anyway.

Look into the ByTecc IDE/USB adapter. It will work with any 2.5, 3.5, or
5.25 inch HDDs.