Cpu & MB temp

Old October 11th 03, 08:15 PM
harried and tired

Default Cpu & MB temp

I just had to drop my old 1.4 Athlon chip in my board since my
old chip got fried (long story involving a cat, a baby and an open case).
I was going to get some thermal paste but a friend of mine says that you
don't really need to apply the paste these days. Now my friend is
constantly building systems and screwing around with them, has been for
years, while I just occasionally poke and tinker with mine but this made me
pretty uneasy.

I went and dropped the 1.4 in without paste but the temps seem to be
high....way too high. The cpu temp is 76 C while the mb temp is 39. I'm
assuming this is out of whack. Should I go pickup some themal paste and
apply it or am I just getting nervous about nothing?

Thanks

Old October 11th 03, 08:59 PM
Blaedmon

your friend is mistaken. Every system should use thermal paste, especially,
athlon systems which run hotter. A decent heatsink (copper) in combination
with good thermal paste and good in-out case circulation will lower your
temps.

om...

Old October 11th 03, 09:35 PM
Wes Newell

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 19:15:37 +0000, harried and tired wrote:

I just had to drop my old 1.4 Athlon chip in my board since my
old chip got fried (long story involving a cat, a baby and an open case).
I was going to get some thermal paste but a friend of mine says that you
don't really need to apply the paste these days.

Your friend is an idiot. If you want to keep your other friends, don't
recommend him to them for computer purchases. You always some sort of
thermal interfgace between the cooler and cpu. A little axle grease would
work ok if you don't have the real thing. Or any semi thick oily product
in a pinch. Even Crest toothpaste will work very well for a short period
of time.

Old October 11th 03, 09:46 PM
Pug Fugley

Not installing paste is 2nd quickest way to fry your processor. Of course
the quickest way is no heatsink at all.

Put the paste on, then kick your friend in the nuts.

Old October 11th 03, 11:48 PM
rstlne

[...]

So He builds lots of systems...
Is that cause all of his burn out?
I think you should be nervous.. Nervous that your pal is going to cost you
lots of money.. Get some thermal paste/grease/whatever and stick it on
there.. If your heatsink has a mirror finish then the drop wont be as big as
something that's non reflective..
I would expect that you'll see a good 20c drop
be sure to clean it well

Old October 13th 03, 01:38 AM
harried and tired

Thanks guys....I was pretty sure he was wrong...just sounded odd
but I
didn't feel competent enough to argue it with him. Guess I'll have to
use
my back up comp until Tuesday. Heh, can't wait until I see my
friend
again. At least this might take him down a few notches (maybe).

Old October 13th 03, 08:38 AM
Enter Name Here

"harried and tired" wrote in
om:

I just had to drop my old 1.4 Athlon chip in my board
since my
old chip got fried (long story involving a cat, a baby and an open
case). I was going to get some thermal paste but a friend of mine says
that you don't really need to apply the paste these days. Now my
friend is constantly building systems and screwing around with them,
has been for years, while I just occasionally poke and tinker with
mine but this made me pretty uneasy.

I went and dropped the 1.4 in without paste but the temps seem
to be
high....way too high. The cpu temp is 76 C while the mb temp is 39.
I'm assuming this is out of whack. Should I go pickup some themal
paste and apply it or am I just getting nervous about nothing?

Thanks

You're definately going to have a short-lived CPU without some kind of
thermal interface!

These days, when AMD ships their Athlons with a heat sink / fan combo,
they include a small strip of thermal interface material already
attached to the H.S. AMD reccomends the use of this, in lieu of thermal
paste. Hopefully that's what your buddy means by not using paste any
more

A7N8X Motherboard Low Temperature Sensitivity, CMOS Checksum Error kony General 6 October 18th 04 05:38 AM
CPU Temp - How hot is too hot? Christoph General 7 June 5th 04 01:40 PM
athlon XP temperature kamik General 2 April 29th 04 11:58 PM
cpu temp? Dave General 6 March 26th 04 02:54 AM
2.4Ghz P4 Xeon 400mhz, CPU Temp Ranges Duncan, Eric A. General 2 February 3rd 04 04:48 AM