Destructive Impulses...Flinging $1500 against the wall tonight.

Old August 4th 03, 05:02 AM
chris

Default Destructive Impulses...Flinging $1500 against the wall tonight.

Just spent 36 hours rebuilding my new laptop 5 times trying to fix a
seemingly simple display alignment problem.

Could not resolve it. Has anyone had the problem below?

After installing XP Pro SP1a, the laptop's "Nvidia GeForce 4 go 440"
is detected as an "Unknown VGA Adapter".

Incidentally its 15" LCD display lines up perfectly with screen
borders--I think it's running at 800X600 at this point.

Go to Update Driver on the unknown VGA with the 44.03 Detonators
(already extracted).

I choose "GeForce 4 440 MX-SE". It installs. After a few seconds it
detects and installs a PnP Standard Monitor *&* a Default Monitor.

I reboot. And that's where everything goes to hell.

No matter what resolution I try to adjust to after the Detonators, I
always only get the top left 3 / 4 of the actual screen. So I see no
task bar, clock, etc.

My monitor is now said to be a Multimonitor. And I have a "1600X1200
capable digital flat panel" and a TV output. Under monitor settings
I'm locked into 60hz with no way to adjust--even tried PowerStrip.
The Nvidia desktop utilities did nothing for me either. Tried Clone
mode and Standard Dual.

Tried different LCD Monitor drivers--analog and digital. Tried a
regular "GeForce 4 440 MX" as well. --No luck--.

Here's the laptop - http://www.uniwill.com/Product/N351S4/N351S4.htm .
No actual LCD drivers supplied by anyone for it. Also flashed the
motherboard with the latest BIOS.

Old August 4th 03, 05:52 AM
Derek Wildstar

"chris" wrote in message

Just spent 36 hours rebuilding my new laptop 5 times trying to fix a
seemingly simple display alignment problem.

Could not resolve it. Has anyone had the problem below?

You *must* use the GeForce4-Go Unified drivers supplied by the laptop
manufacturer. Not the Detonators.

Old August 5th 03, 03:23 AM
chris

Wow. Thanks. You were right. The vendor drivers got the display
correctly recognized as a digital flat panel 1400 X 1050.

Wasn't too happy about having to use older drivers though...

So what I did was merge the vendor's INF, their CAT and their
nvqtwk.dll into my 44.03 folder, and told XP to install the new driver
from their INF shoved in that folder.

IT WORKED!

Ran DXDIAG to see if my little hybrid driver install would f up once
in 3D mode. Rendered their tests in both hardware and software modes
and at full screen!!!

WOOHOO.

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 04:52:00 GMT, "Derek Wildstar"
wrote:

.. .