Old Drivers for 6800 Ultra

Old April 7th 05, 06:54 PM
David Billo

Default Old Drivers for 6800 Ultra

In an effort to get an old OpenGL app working, I've experimented with an
older driver. The app will only run when I set the colour to 8-bit on the
compatibility tab, so I've assumed it's a video driver conflict. No other
compatibility modes work. I guess it could also be an XP conflict.

So far, I've had no success. I tried 52.16 with my 6800 Ultra, since that
driver version is certified for this app. Of course, my card doesn't appear
in the selection list, so I picked the 5950 Ultra, thinking it would be
close enough. All I got was a black screen, and had to shut off the
computer. I'm afraid to experiment any more in case I do some damage.

Is it possible to damage a video card or monitor by using incorrect drivers?

What is the oldest driver that I might get to work with this card, or what
else could I pick from the hardware list that might work?

Old April 7th 05, 08:36 PM
Sharanga Dayananda

If the app requires 8 bit palettised textures , the GF 6 series no longer
supports it under OpenGL. I don't know whether it supports it under DirectX.
My guess is since most modern apps don't use it, the feature has been
removed.

This is described in the PDF document at
http://developer.nvidia.com/object/n...e_formats.html.

Old April 7th 05, 08:39 PM
Kill Bill

[...]

Offically, nividia drivers don't support the 6800 series until the 60.xx
drivers. Don't know about unofficially.

Old April 7th 05, 08:41 PM
David Billo

"raj" wrote in message
[...]

I posted a thread entitled Lightscape 3.1 versus BFG 6800 Ultra, but got no
replies, so I assumed nobody had any knowledge of this app. This new thread
is an attempt to make my questions more generic. So there you go, I'm trying
to run Lightscape 3.1, an OpenGL rendering program.

Athlon 64 3500+
1 Gig Kingston HyperX 3200 DDR 400
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
BFG 6800 Ultra AGP
Video drivers: 6.14.10.6693
Windows XP Pro SP2

When I first installed the app a month ago, it worked fairly well, except
for some minor glitches and crashes when selecting certain display options
or loading textures. Then, mysteriously, it would not run at all. There is
only a brief flicker of the cursor, and nothing happens. If I set display to
8-bit colour under compatibility it will run, (but looks like crap), and
after a minute or two it closes.

Old April 7th 05, 08:49 PM
David Billo

"Sharanga Dayananda" wrote in message
If the app requires 8 bit palettised textures , the GF 6 series no longer
supports it under OpenGL.

Nope, that's not the case. I only tried 8-bit compatibility to test if the
video driver was the source of the problem. The consensus on the Lightscape
forum is that it is either video driver or XP.