probs with win xp and sata hd

Old July 15th 03, 10:21 PM
P Gagg

Default probs with win xp and sata hd

Calling all you tech heads...

I've just built a new pc, but cannot get windoze xp home to install. It
tries to install from the cd, but after loading all its drivers, it
keeps telling me that there is no hard disk and it cannot continue?

The system is as follows:

AMD Athlon 2500 (barton) cpu
Asus A7N8X Deluxe with NForce2 & Serial ATA support (SATA)
512mb PC2700 DDR memory
Maxtor Diamond max plus9 120Gb SATA 150 hard disk.
ATI Redeon 9600 AGP 128Mb vid card
Pioneer x16 DVD/cd player
Samsung FDD

I connected the hard disk to the m/b via the SATA leads that came with
the m/b, and I connected the DVD/cd player to the primary IDE socket on
the m/b via the normal wide IDE ribbon.

I presume this is correct?

The pc's start up screen says the hard disk and the DVD/cd player are
working and are recognised ok.

The bios states (in main screen) that the primary master is the DVD
player, and there is no primary slave or secondary master or slave.
But I assume this only refers to the IDE drives, and not the SATA drives.

I tried changing this over, and put the DVD drive on the Secondary
master, just in case the SATA takes the place of primary channel. But
this didn't work either, windoze loaded drivers, then reported no hard
disk again.

The bios also tells me that the FDD is the first boot up device, then
the CDRom, then the HDD.

I can't find anything about the SATA drives in the bios, but the m/b has
SATA enabled via jumpers, and when I boot up, the drive is mentioned in
the blurb as the pc boots.

It says the SATA raid controller is found and the primary channel
(presumably the SATA channel) has the Maxtor drive on it. I also get the
option as the pc boots to press F4 to go to the RAID config screen.
When I press F4 and go to this screen, the Maxtor drive is there and is
being recognised ok, and reports the correct size, etc.

The SATA drive is an OEM drive so has no manual or CD with it. The m/b
is retail, but the manual is not much help other than telling you how to
enable SATA.

Does win xp have a problem with SATA drives?
Anyone know what I'm doing wrong here? or how to fix it?

BTW, I only have a win98 set up disk which allows me to fdisk the disk,
I assume thats ok too?

Ta....(also posted elsewhere, sorry!)

*Peter*

Old July 16th 03, 08:05 PM
sticks

I am using Win XP Pro with the Asus P4P800, wich supports two SATA Ports on
the southbridge.

Both SATA Ports are with one SATA Disk Maxtor 80 GB in use. No Raid.

There are not any problems. I did not install any SATA drivers. Must all
inclusive at the Windows XP installation!

Try to set the bios to "load default settings" and restart without changing
any settings. In the bios there are many parameters to set the IDE
Configuration like "SATA only, P-ATA + SATA, P-ATA without SATA" "Compatible
Mode (for Win 98 etc) or Enhanaced Mode (Win XP or 2K). Try different
settings. Read the manual to the board.

During the installation of Win XP, the user must choose the harddisk to
install. Is there is a new unformatted disk, there is exact one point in a
list of the setup to choose this. Use also the "NTFS" format! for Win XP.

Good Luck

sticks

SATA power cable woes MC General 2 August 27th 04 01:51 AM
KV8-MAX3 with VIA 8237 SATA and WinXP x64 JasonB AMD x86-64 Processors 1 August 23rd 04 10:31 PM
How good are SATA drives compared to IDE drives? Dunny Rummy General 1 February 12th 04 08:03 PM
XPOST - asus a7n8x deluxe SATA & SATA RAID! \(\) |V| 3 G A General 1 September 26th 03 06:02 PM
SATA vs. IDE Ransack The Elder Overclocking AMD Processors 32 August 23rd 03 03:04 PM