WinXP (32-bit) SP2 --> Cool'n'Quiet don't work!

Old September 2nd 04, 02:54 AM
KMS

Default WinXP (32-bit) SP2 --> Cool'n'Quiet don't work!

Hi,

I installed the XP SP2 last weekend and I just now noticed that Cool'n'Quiet
doesn't work after the SP2 update. (Noticed because video playback was
jerky...)

I tried to uninstall and reinstall CPU driver... but no help. I checked the
power management settings... and they are set to minimal power management.
It doesn't matter what I set, the CPU is always running at lowest speed.
(Yes, I tried to stress the CPU to see the speed increase... didn't work.)

If I uninstall the Cool'n'Quiet driver, the speed comes back to normal (full
speed).

Prior to SP2, Cool'n'Quiet was working great.

I have ASUS A8V Deluxe and Athlon64 3500+.

Anybody else having the same problem?

KMS

Old September 2nd 04, 12:53 PM
Phil G

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 01:54:32 GMT, KMS wrote:

[...]

Interesting, when I installed SP2 it overwrote the AMD driver with the
default MS driver, I had no CnQ at all, all running full speed (on a base
K8V). Have you tried the latest CPU driver from AMD's site rather than
those supplied by Asus? Re-installing this returned CnQ to normal for me.

Phil.
Old September 2nd 04, 01:18 PM
KMS

"Phil G" wrote in message
news
[...]

At the moment I'm running the latest driver downloaded from AMD (dated
4/25/04, I think...) Still don't work: Stuck on lowest speed setting.

I didn't reinstall the C'n'Q software after that. In my understandind that
software is only for displaying the CPU speed and voltage...

Old September 3rd 04, 04:02 PM
Lachoneus

At the moment I'm running the latest driver downloaded from AMD (dated
4/25/04, I think...) Still don't work: Stuck on lowest speed setting.

Similar problem here, except it's stuck on the highest speed on my ASUS
K8N-E and A64 3000+. Until it wakes up from suspend, that is--then it's
stuck at 800MHz.

I don't know if it would have worked on SP1 because I installed straight
from a slipstreamed SP2 CD.

Reinstalling the AMD driver didn't seem to have any effect.
Old September 4th 04, 01:07 AM
KMS

"Lachoneus" wrote in message
At the moment I'm running the latest driver downloaded from AMD (dated
4/25/04, I think...) Still don't work: Stuck on lowest speed setting.

Similar problem here, except it's stuck on the highest speed on my ASUS
K8N-E and A64 3000+. Until it wakes up from suspend, that is--then it's
stuck at 800MHz.

I don't know if it would have worked on SP1 because I installed straight
from a slipstreamed SP2 CD.

Reinstalling the AMD driver didn't seem to have any effect.

Well... couldn't find good solution yet.

As a temporary solution I'm using Clockgen to manipulate the multiplier and
voltage manually... when needed.

Luckily the fan speed control seem to work.

Old September 4th 04, 01:53 AM
Ed Light

Aren't there motherboard drivers you can reinstall?

Just wondering.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old September 4th 04, 02:05 AM
KMS

Don't think so?

All that is needed is to enable the Cool'n'Quiet and ACPI2.0 in bios, and
then install the AMD CPU driver, and then set the power management options
in windows for minimal power management... At least that's how it worked
before WinXP SP2...

I even flashed my motherboard BIOS to the latest... but no help.

"Ed Light" wrote in message
Aren't there motherboard drivers you can reinstall?

Just wondering.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Last/Fastest cB0 stepped 'gray zone' Celerons work natively on Abit ZM6/BM6? pgtr General 15 July 9th 04 07:29 PM
WinXP Install Problem? BobK General 3 June 2nd 04 10:10 PM
WINXP, wireless Netgear. Internet access ok, mail does not work. Karolus des Reyches197 General 8 February 1st 04 01:19 AM
DELL upgrade with Kingston Value RAM - will it work properly stromer General 0 January 31st 04 08:29 AM
Dual Boot, How? Paul \(Erie\) General 1 June 24th 03 04:36 PM