Quantum (now Maxtor) Fireball ST 6.4G; Is it OK to use LBA instead of Normal settings in BIOS?

Old February 28th 05, 10:47 PM
Lilla

Default Quantum (now Maxtor) Fireball ST 6.4G; Is it OK to use LBA instead of Normal settings in BIOS?

Quantum (now Maxtor) Fireball ST 6.4G; Is it OK to use LBA instead of Normal
settings in BIOS?

==========

Facts:

Motherboard: Azza PT-5IT
BIOS: Award BIOS v4.51PG Extension v1.0A
Processor: Intel Pentium MMX, 200MHz
Chipset on motherboard: Intel Triton 82430 TX

Hard Drive: Quantum (now Maxtor) Fireball ST 6.4GB (ATA)
Formatted as FAT32
Note: At this point, this is the only HDD in the system, and the drive
jumpers are set accordingly.

OS: Windows 98 Second Edition (v4.10.2222B)

=============

The BIOS HDD detections offers two choices for this hard drive:

Mode, Size, Cyls, Head, Precomp, Landz, Sector
LBA, 6449, 784, 255, 0, 13327, 63, LBA
NORMAL, 6449, 13328, 15, 65535, 13327, 63, NORMAL

PROBLEM
--------------
BIOS Auto detection selects Mode=LBA. If I use this option the drive boots
and Win98SE works just fine. However, the parameters written on the top of
the drive match Mode=NORMAL. If I use this option, the system will not boot.
During the boot process I get an error message that says
Invalid system disk
Replace the disk, and then press any key

QUESTIONS
----------------
What is the downside of using the disk with Mode=LBA parameters?
Is there a way to make it use the Mode=Normal parameters?

Would it fix the problem if I copy the drive the Quantum drive to another
drive (that has good drive parameters), using the procedure below?

Cloning the Win9x system disk using XXCOPY (Bulletin #10):
http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy10.htm

Thank you for any guidance and advice on this,
Lilla

Old March 1st 05, 11:40 AM
Folkert Rienstra

[...]

Those are wrong/not suitable. Those are the drive internal CHS values.
For BIOS you need the "default translation" values.
BIOS will use those when operating in AUTO mode.

match Mode=NORMAL. If I use this option, the system will not boot.
During the boot process I get an error message that says
Invalid system disk
Replace the disk, and then press any key

QUESTIONS
----------------
What is the downside of using the disk with Mode=LBA parameters?

None. Even Large will work if detected with the auto detect function.

Is there a way to make it use the Mode=Normal parameters?

No. Normal only works for drives up to 540MB.
Unfortunately this option is also used to setup parameters for Large
and then you switch over to Large.

Would it fix the problem if I copy the drive the Quantum drive to another
drive (that has good drive parameters), using the procedure below?

What problem, there is none. Use Auto Auto.
And that is only important for booting (from that drive).
After that almost nothing will use it.