How to set paper profiles with Canon i9100

Old December 29th 03, 08:24 AM
David Hurwitz

Default How to set paper profiles with Canon i9100

I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to set paper
profiles for art papers on my Canon i9100 and finally discovered that
you can set them through Control Panel. It doesn't look like you can
completely turn off the printer color settings for a straight-through
work flow but here is how you can set paper profiles on a PC (example
here is with Win XP):

1. Download the profiles from the manufacturer. Legion, for example,
has profiles for all their papers for Canon and Epson printers on
their web site.
2. Copy the profiles to Windows/System32/Color. (You don't have to
necessarily do this as you can tell the printer driver where to find
them.)
3. Go to Control Panel/Printers and Faxes and find your i9100 driver.
Right click on the driver and select properties. Click on the Color
Management tab. Click on the Add Profiles button, browse for the
color profiles you downloaded and add them to the box that already
contains the Canon printer profile..
4. Click on the manual button, I think it is best to use manual not
automatic but I admit I haven't tried automatic yet..
5. For regular printer use, be sure to set the Canon profile that is
already there as the default profile.
6. When using another paper for which you have a downloaded profile,
that profile for your print job.
7. Before printing with Photo Shop, go to Print Preview and set the
paper profile to the paper you are using. This profile has to be in
Windows/System32/Color for Photo Shop to find it.
7. When you start to print from your photo software, on the Main tab
for the printer driver, set Color Adjustment to Manual, click the Set
tab and in the Print Type selection box, choose "None." Be sure your
intensity and color sliders are set at 0 unless you want to make an
adjustment.
8. When you are done printing with your third party paper and you are
going back to Canon papers,, remember to go back and reset the Canon
profile as the default profile.

This method is not perfect but has given me much better results with
Legion papers than I got before. I noticed no effect at all, BTW,
trying to set the paper profile through Photoshop's Preview function.
I haven't tried to see if setting the driver to automatic through
Control Panel, then setting the profile through Photoshop at the time
of printing (You have to select Print Preview to do this) would
actually cause that profile to be used. If things worked that way,
life would be too easy.

You can't find anything about this technique in Canon's documentation
as far as I can tell. If you have any questions, I will be out of
town for several days but will log on at the end of the week.