help: connecting wireless router using wireless lan card.

Old December 11th 04, 07:43 PM

Default help: connecting wireless router using wireless lan card.

Hello

I'm trying to connect my wireless dsl router to my computer using a
wireless card. Currently I have only 384kbps speed as the Westel-
327w is connected to my regular lan card.
I also have a 11b wireless card and I tried to connect to the gateway
using it and removed the rj45 connector from router to my regular lan
card, and, it works, but way too slowly.
I am thinking of purchasing a 11g wireless card and try to connec it
to the router. The main question is this: Will 11g card improve the
speed and up to how much? is 54Mbps greater or less than 384kbps?
I have read before, 54Mbps is not truly 54Mbps, and the speed is only
1/2 of it due to some kind of synchro and verification process.

And, if you should suggest that 11g wireless card is going to work
well, which brand of card should I get.?

Thanks for your input.

Peter.

ps. the jack and my computer is about 20 feet away, across the room.
Old December 11th 04, 08:39 PM
kony

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 19:43:13 GMT, wrote:

Hello

I'm trying to connect my wireless dsl router to my computer using a
wireless card. Currently I have only 384kbps speed as the Westel-
327w is connected to my regular lan card.

What do you mean, "only"?
A wireless card won't make your 384kbps connection any
faster, if anything the latency of the wifi will make it
even slightly slower. It is a downgrade to use wireless
over wired, except for that bit about portability and not
needing wires.

I also have a 11b wireless card and I tried to connect to the gateway
using it and removed the rj45 connector from router to my regular lan
card, and, it works, but way too slowly.

Too slowly for what?
11b is 11Mbps, much faster than 384kbps. If the signal
strength is too low then perhaps you have to take care of
that by moving the antenna around and/or the base station.

I am thinking of purchasing a 11g wireless card and try to connec it
to the router. The main question is this: Will 11g card improve the
speed and up to how much? is 54Mbps greater or less than 384kbps?

The fastest thing is the wired connection you already have.
It is MUCH faster, but even so, anything you've mentioned is
still much faster than the 384kbps internet connection. The
additional speed would only be of benefit for filesharing on
a (local) network of your other PCs.

I have read before, 54Mbps is not truly 54Mbps, and the speed is only
1/2 of it due to some kind of synchro and verification process.

True, you'll never get full 54Mbps throughput, but it is
significantly faster than 11b. Even so, it won't make your
internet connection any faster.

And, if you should suggest that 11g wireless card is going to work
well, which brand of card should I get.?

Anything that comes with an external antenna on a cord, so
you can place the antenna in an optimal location instead of
at the back of a large metal barrier (PC case).

ps. the jack and my computer is about 20 feet away, across the room.

In the same room I suggest using the wired connection, it's
far more reliable in adverse conditions, always lower
latency, and lets you reuse the wireless card somewhere else
where you need it more.

Old December 12th 04, 12:24 AM

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 20:39:44 GMT, kony wrote:

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 19:43:13 GMT, wrote:

Hello

I'm trying to connect my wireless dsl router to my computer using a
wireless card. Currently I have only 384kbps speed as the Westel-
327w is connected to my regular lan card.

What do you mean, "only"?

I got a relative who's dsl goes at 1.5Mbps. She lives near her
Telephone company's Central Office.
A wireless card won't make your 384kbps connection any
faster,

of course.
if anything the latency of the wifi will make it
even slightly slower. It is a downgrade to use wireless
over wired, except for that bit about portability and not
needing wires.

I also have a 11b wireless card and I tried to connect to the gateway
using it and removed the rj45 connector from router to my regular lan
card, and, it works, but way too slowly.

Too slowly for what?

the web pages load way way slowly, as if I was on a 9600 baud rate.

11b is 11Mbps, much faster than 384kbps. If the signal
strength is too low then perhaps you have to take care of
that by moving the antenna around and/or the base station.

I had the dsl modem/router behind my computer, the antennas were about
less than 6" of each other.

[...]

Currently I only have 1 working computer. The other one is not
working. I haven't had the need to fix the other one.

Old December 12th 04, 01:01 AM
kony

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 00:24:54 GMT, wrote:

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 20:39:44 GMT, kony wrote:

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 19:43:13 GMT,
wrote:

[...]

See if the wifi card's installation CD has a utility to
check signal strength, or if it's available for download
from manufacturer.

In the same room I suggest using the wired connection, it's
far more reliable in adverse conditions, always lower
latency, and lets you reuse the wireless card somewhere else
where you need it more.

Currently I only have 1 working computer. The other one is not
working. I haven't had the need to fix the other one.

Since the system isn't too far from the connection you'd be
best off with it hard-wired instead of wireless. A typical
100Mb wired connection is more than twice as fast as a great
54Mb wireless... but again it shouldn't matter IF the
wireless is working properly since even the 11b/11Mbps is
more than 10X faster realized throughput than the 384kbps
internet connection, but wireless has more security issues,
is more susceptible to cordless phones, microwave ovens,
antenna placement, etc.
Old December 12th 04, 01:04 PM
John Smithe

wrote in :

Hello

I'm trying to connect my wireless dsl router to my computer using a
wireless card. Currently I have only 384kbps speed as the Westel-
327w is connected to my regular lan card.

Is this correct:

phone
jack--Westel-327w Wireless DSL Router--wireless link--PC
384Kbps

I also have a 11b wireless card and I tried to connect to the gateway

What gateway? (gateway and router are not the same)

using it and removed the rj45 connector from router to my regular lan
card, and, it works, but way too slowly.

Do you mean that the wireless connection is slower than the wired
connection you used before? The reason I ask is that if it is, then you
have some kind of problem with the wireless connection. Since both wired
LAN and 11b wireless are much faster than 384kbps, you should see about
the same performance as you did before. Your 384kbps connection is the
limiting factor.

I am thinking of purchasing a 11g wireless card and try to connec it
to the router. The main question is this: Will 11g card improve the
speed and up to how much?

Until you understand why the 11b connection is not working well it would
be unwise to purchase 11g hardware. The same issue may come up again.
Also, the 11b hardware should provide all the performance that a 384Kpbs
connection needs. In other words, The 11b connection should work as well
as your wired connection did assuming your feeding your home network
through a 384Kbps connection the the WAN(internet). Finally, an 11g
wireles setup won't provide any more performance than the 11b setup would
because the 384Kbps connection will limit the performance of your home
network. The 384Kbps is limiting your performance and it will limit both
the 11b and 11g hardware. You don't need new hardware. You need to figure
out why the 11b is not working better.

is 54Mbps greater or less than 384kbps?

54Mbps is more than 384Kbps

54Mbps = 54 million bits per second
384Kbps = 384 thousand bits per second

I have read before, 54Mbps is not truly 54Mbps, and the speed is only
1/2 of it due to some kind of synchro and verification process.

There's some overhead but not to the extent that it uses half the
bandwidth.

And, if you should suggest that 11g wireless card is going to work
well, which brand of card should I get.?

Thanks for your input.

Peter.

ps. the jack and my computer is about 20 feet away, across the room.

At twenty feet away in the same room your wireless connection should be
running essentially at full speed. Concentrate on fixing the 11b
connection.

Did your service provider install the wireless router? Can you
get a service call out of them. Where did you get the router from? Is your
router approved by your service provider?

Do you have any software to configure and monitor the router? You should
have gotten software to install on your PC to monitor and configure the
router. Check signal strength. Your signal strength should be very good
being so close and in the same room. Also, the software or the router may
have been logging errors. If errors have been logged, the error reports
may help determine the problem. If error logging is turned off, you should
turn it on to see if you get anything reported.

At the very least you should be able to access a web page on the router that
shows its status. Check the documentation to determine the IP address to
access the page. For example, if I enter

http://192.168.100.1/main_page.html

into my browers address bar, I will see a web page with all my cable modems
current status and connection information. I've done this on a DSL modem
before so your router may have this feature as well.

Are there sources of interference nearby? For example:

Phones, TV's, microwave ovens or other electronic equipment.

Does your router have switches for setting the transmitter channels? If it
does then try a different channel. You may need to use software on your PC
to do this if switches are not present on your router. Is there a lot of
metal between the router and PC. If there is, try moving some of it out of
the way. Try moving the router and PC closer together temporarily to see
if things improve. If they do improve you may have an interference
problem.

Make sure your router and the wireless card are configured compatibly. Are
DCHP and TCP/IP and the rest setup correctly. Maybe you can use the wired
card setup as a guide for the wireless card. There will be some differences
though.

Another place to ask is the forums at www.dslreports.com.

Is this your router:

http://www.westell.com/content/produ.../versalink.pdf

They also make a USB PC wireless adaptor:

http://www.westell.com/content/produ...f/adapters.pdf

Westell Product page:

http://www.westell.com/pages/product...=@@@@186313707
3.1102856333@@@@&BV_EngineID=fadcjiiekdgdbedcfkcfk cfin.0

You shouldn't have to use their adaptor, but I guess you could try it if
purchasing new hardware remains an option.

Found some links at dslreports:

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/westell
http://www.broadbandreports.com/foru...9703~mode=flat

Good Luck

P.S. Are you sure your wireless connection is going thruough YOUR router? To
test this, try connecting to the internet wirelessly. Once you are connected
to the internet disconnect your router from the phone jack. Did you lose your
connection to the internet? If yes, then your connection IS through your
router. If no, then your connection IS NOT through your router. Maybe your
connecting through your neighbors hardware and your connection is so bad
because your not getting a good signal from your neighbor.

Old December 12th 04, 06:03 PM

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 13:04:43 GMT, John Smithe wrote:

wrote in :

Is this correct:

phone
jack--Westel-327w Wireless DSL Router--wireless link--PC

Yes that is what I want to do, but the bandwidth is low if i do that.
I get 384 if I do the wired link between Router and PC
384Kbps

I also have a 11b wireless card and I tried to connect to the gateway

What gateway? (gateway and router are not the same)

sorry didnt know.

Do you mean that the wireless connection is slower than the wired
connection you used before? The reason I ask is that if it is, then you
have some kind of problem with the wireless connection. Since both wired
LAN and 11b wireless are much faster than 384kbps, you should see about
the same performance as you did before. Your 384kbps connection is the
limiting factor.

Ok that's what I needed to confirm.

is 54Mbps greater or less than 384kbps?

54Mbps is more than 384Kbps

54Mbps = 54 million bits per second
384Kbps = 384 thousand bits per second

Ok that's what I needed to confirm. Thanks.

ps. the jack and my computer is about 20 feet away, across the room.

At twenty feet away in the same room your wireless connection should be
running essentially at full speed. Concentrate on fixing the 11b
connection.

Ok. Will need to try that.

Did your service provider install the wireless router? Can you
get a service call out of them. Where did you get the router from? Is your
router approved by your service provider?

I got it thru a self install kit. Sent by the DSL provider. I'll
check the CD to see if it has any documentations or any diagnosing
pgms.

[...]

Ok. I'll need to read the pdf file mentioned below for that. But, I
think I had it connected right, because it does load up a web page,
and it can refresh it, except it does it kinda sloooowly.

Another place to ask is the forums at www.dslreports.com.

Is this your router:

http://www.westell.com/content/produ.../versalink.pdf

Yes.

[...]

Yes, I checked the SSID on the back of the router and in the ID that
pops up when I scan the nearby networks.

& thanks for the different options that I need to check. I'll fool
with it more and see what I can get.

System Requirements Wireless Router? Forrest General 4 June 12th 04 02:53 AM
Another OK deal - Compusa online is offering the Belkin router wireless AND a laptop wireless belkin card for $20 after rebate the "B" versions [email protected] General 0 April 26th 04 10:15 AM
Connect wireless router to existing network? Subodh123 General 1 March 25th 04 07:52 AM
Wireless router Tomaz Cedilnik General 4 February 4th 04 08:23 PM
Having trouble with one computer connecting to a wireless router which is connected to ADSL modem. Casey Hawthorne General 0 December 7th 03 03:51 AM