Vid card - 128mb vs 256mb?

Old September 27th 04, 04:52 AM
Gojira

Default Vid card - 128mb vs 256mb?

Do 256mb versions of a vid card,say the Geforce 6800 for example,really
offer enough performance difference for an average gamer to justify spending
the extra $100.00 or so?

Old September 27th 04, 08:08 AM
kony

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 03:52:58 GMT, "Gojira"
wrote:

Do 256mb versions of a vid card,say the Geforce 6800 for example,really
offer enough performance difference for an average gamer to justify spending
the extra $100.00 or so?

it depends on how long you plan to use it. Today it's not
worthwhile but looking ahead a couple years it'll be more
important.
Old September 27th 04, 08:21 AM
ElJerid

wrote:

Do 256mb versions of a vid card,say the Geforce 6800 for example,really
offer enough performance difference for an average gamer to justify

spending
the extra $100.00 or so?

it depends on how long you plan to use it. Today it's not
worthwhile but looking ahead a couple years it'll be more
important.

So, don't buy, cause within a couple of years everything (including prices)
will be totally different !

Old September 27th 04, 10:54 AM

wrote:

Do 256mb versions of a vid card,say the Geforce 6800 for example,really
offer enough performance difference for an average gamer to justify spending
the extra $100.00 or so?

I wouldnt mind having it but Im not sure its that important at least
in the near future. The only time I felt like I really needed it was
with DOOM since they made a big deal about it . Ive got a 9800 with
128. I thought obviously a 6800GT which I wouldnt mind having would
be awesomely better but it really didnt feel drastically different.
Obviously you can set the res higher and all that and not have it bog
down but just setting up DOOM and trying it out I didnt feel a super
duper difference - but then I only had the card for a day and a half.
I might feel different if I got to mess with it longer.

I think it was at Toms Hardware he has a detailed article about the
difference with 256 and 128 I think. You got better details but you
had to have a screen capture and look fairly closely at the scenes.
There defintely was a difference but its kind of hard to tell. Maybe
there are other differences but thats the only one Ive read about.

Old September 27th 04, 06:43 PM
kony

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 07:21:53 GMT, "ElJerid"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Do 256mb versions of a vid card,say the Geforce 6800 for example,really
offer enough performance difference for an average gamer to justify

spending
the extra $100.00 or so?

it depends on how long you plan to use it. Today it's not
worthwhile but looking ahead a couple years it'll be more
important.

So, don't buy, cause within a couple of years everything (including prices)
will be totally different !

Probably true but it seems video cards are retaining resale
value better than they used to. Two year from now $100 may
not buy anything faster (probably won't), but then I suppose
the resale value of the 6800 would also have to be
considered.