478 vs 775 sockets

Old February 28th 05, 12:15 AM
master

Default 478 vs 775 sockets

I'm building a new computer with a Celeron 2.66 GHz. I'm deciding
between the 478 and 775 chipsets. What are the
advantages/disadvantages of each considering they are about the same
price these days.

The motherboard I will be using is either the Asus P4P800-SE or
P5P800.

Old February 28th 05, 01:13 AM
RBM

Those are CPU sockets. The 775 is the newest one made for intel CPU's. If
you're building a new machine, I'd recommend using the newest equipment as
they get old awfully fast "master"

Old February 28th 05, 04:58 AM
Wayne Morgan

Be careful and make sure that you get the correct CPU for the motherboard.
Read the acceptable CPUs from the motherboards data page on Intel's web
site.

--
Wayne Morgan

Old February 28th 05, 06:16 AM
master

is it true that the new 775 sockets consume more power and create more
heat? And that's why the larger heatsink/fan?

Old February 28th 05, 12:05 PM
RBM

It's the new CPU's that go in the sockets that give off more heat

Old March 5th 05, 07:41 PM
Clob

Get away from the celeron!