MSI 5700 Ultra or 5900 XT?

Old May 8th 04, 01:22 AM
J. Codling

Default MSI 5700 Ultra or 5900 XT?

I have the option of purchasing one of these cards. The 5900XT is actually
$30 less than the 5700 Ultra.

I would like some opinions on which to purchase. I currently have a Ti4200
128MB and am looking for something to upgrade to which I will notice a
difference with.

A short list of games I play would be Planetside, Call of Duty, DF:BHD,
Generals, and BF:Vietnam.

Thanks.

My system specs are on my site at the link below.
--

C i R c U i T -=- J. Codling -=- www.jcodling.com

*This message represents the official opinions of the voices in my head*

Old May 8th 04, 05:16 AM
Rusty Smith

The 5900XT.
If you can find a 5900 non-XT or SE would be a good buy.
The 5900 non-XT or SE has faster memory 700Mhz on the XT-SE vs 800Mhz on the
5900. Although, these cards are getting very difficult to find at a
reasonable price as the XT-SE are to replace the 5900 non-XT-SE models. For
a short period of time the 5900 was only $15.00 to $20.00 more than the
5900XT/SE (when the 5900 XT/SE was first released). The ATI 9600XT is about
the same price and performance of the 5900 XT/SE with better graphics, so
some say.
I don't own a ATI, I prefer Nvidia chip sets for game compatibility.

I have a EVGA 5900SE that I bought for $180.00 that yields excellent results
over the GF4200 TI, I have in another machine. The big difference between
the 4200 and the 5900SE is the 3D performance at high resolutions especially
in DX9 games. It's hard to tell the difference at lower resolutions between
the cards especially in DX8 games and the 4200 will OC better.

Old May 8th 04, 10:08 AM
Dave O

Just got a Gigabyte 5900XT, to replace my Inno FX5200, very happy with it,
looks like it can take everything I throw at it, (so far) :-) even FS9 works
well with full everything. It's also very quiet which is an added bonus
P4 2gig, 768 DDR pc2100 ram,
Dave

Old May 9th 04, 07:22 PM
J. Codling

"Rusty Smith" wrote in message
[.snip.]
I have a EVGA 5900SE that I bought for $180.00 that yields excellent

results
over the GF4200 TI, I have in another machine. The big difference between
the 4200 and the 5900SE is the 3D performance at high resolutions

especially
in DX9 games. It's hard to tell the difference at lower resolutions

between
the cards especially in DX8 games and the 4200 will OC better.

This is exactly why I am upgrading now. I just got myself a 19" monitor and
want to play my games at 1280x1024 instead of 1024x768.

Thanks for the reply!

Old May 9th 04, 07:28 PM
J. Codling

Thanks for the replies!

All this XT this and SE that gets a little stupid so it's best to get the
"word from the street". I will be getting that MSI FX5900 XT 128MB DDR card
then! I was afraid of upgrading from my 4200 and being disappointed. I guess
a good judge would be to look in the price range that I purchased the
original card at and that should be an upgrade. Recently that wasn't the
case...

Old May 10th 04, 01:16 PM
Nada

"J. Codling" jcodling~AT~jcodling~DOT~com wrote:
I have the option of purchasing one of these cards. The 5900XT is actually
$30 less than the 5700 Ultra.

There's no contest here. Get that 5900XT before your mother does.

Old May 13th 04, 12:58 AM
Darthy

On Fri, 7 May 2004 20:22:15 -0400, "J. Codling"
jcodling~AT~jcodling~DOT~com wrote:

I have the option of purchasing one of these cards. The 5900XT is actually
$30 less than the 5700 Ultra.

5900xt, hands down. The 5700 is a varient of the 5800, hence its
expensive. But keep in mind that for $20 more, you can get an
ATI9800Pro (www.pricewatch.com)

I played Call of Duty - in 1600x1200 max settings with never EVER a
slow down on my 9800. BF games are on old engines as well. Try out
Far Cry and UT2004 - especailly Far Cry.. Still with either card, 1GB
of RAM helps.

I would like some opinions on which to purchase. I currently have a Ti4200
128MB and am looking for something to upgrade to which I will notice a
difference with.

A short list of games I play would be Planetside, Call of Duty, DF:BHD,
Generals, and BF:Vietnam.

- - - - -
Remember: In the USA - it is dangeroud to draw or write about Heir Bush in a negative way. The police or SS are called, people threaten to kill you. (What country is this again?)

- 15yr old boy in Washington was disciplined for drawing such images.
- White House blows cover of an undercover agent because her husband said there were no WMD (before the USA started the war) - her job was finding terrorist. (This makes sense?)
God bless the land of the free. Where you can burn the Constitution... Ashcroft does it every day.