GeForce FX 5200 and Dual Monitors

Old February 23rd 04, 03:01 AM
Stasis

Default GeForce FX 5200 and Dual Monitors

Is it possible to set up a single GeForce FX 5200 for dual monitors in
Windows XP with NView? It has a single VGA out (No DVI) and the S-video
looking port as well. I tried a video splitter, but Windows XP won't
recognize the second monitor in the display settings.

I downloaded the new drivers with Nview.

If this is possible could you please walk me through the procedures?

Thanks.

Old February 23rd 04, 06:08 PM
BJ

I asked Dell support about my FX 5200 which has a VGA and DVI outputs. Here
is the answer but take with a grain of salt and keep looking.....

"The video card which you have in your system doesn't support dual monitors.
In case if you have any other queries, you are welcome to revert
to us."
- and from another support technician .....
"I would like to inform you that all NVIDIA
GeForce DO NOT support Dual Monitors."

This is the first time I've used Dell support and I get the impression it's
run
by the same outfit and manner that handles Symantec support.

Old February 23rd 04, 08:35 PM
BJ

Peter, thanks for your post...you've given me hope.
Unlike stasis's card my 5200 has two connectors, one is VGA, the other is
DVI. I connect my Flat Panel monitor to the DVI and an old VGA monitor to
the VGA on the same card.

Result: the computer boots up on the old monitor and the DVI stays in
self-test mode. The Display properties shows both monitors but they both
identify as #1.

Operating System is XP Home.

Old February 23rd 04, 09:21 PM
Peter Wilkins

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 22:01:46 -0500, "Stasis"
wrote :

Is it possible to set up a single GeForce FX 5200 for dual monitors in
Windows XP with NView? It has a single VGA out (No DVI) and the S-video
looking port as well. I tried a video splitter, but Windows XP won't
recognize the second monitor in the display settings.

Yes but. You shouldn't need nview or a video splitter to do it. =20
I just connected the second monitor to the spare video socket, turned
on the computer, and then adjusted the display using the normal
right-click on the desktop, select properties (not nview properties)
and under display properties/settings I see the two monitors in
appropriate sizes and positions. Click on "extend my windows desktop
onto this monitor" and I can then click on one to adjust its
properties or on the other to adjust it's, or I can click and drag to
get the monitors in the required positions.

I downloaded the new drivers with Nview.

shouldn't be needed.

If this is possible could you please walk me through the procedures?

See above. If you don't have a video connector on which to connect
the second monitor, then I don't think you can do it.

I'm using a GeForce FX Go5200 and I have a video connector on the back
of the computer for the second monitor.
--=20
Regards,
Peter Wilkins
Old February 24th 04, 04:34 AM
Peter Wilkins

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 20:35:10 GMT, "BJ" wrote :

Peter, thanks for your post...you've given me hope.
Unlike stasis's card my 5200 has two connectors, one is VGA, the other =

is
DVI. I connect my Flat Panel monitor to the DVI and an old VGA monitor =

the VGA on the same card.

Result: the computer boots up on the old monitor and the DVI stays in
self-test mode. The Display properties shows both monitors but they both
identify as #1.

If I click on the "identify" button I get a huge 1 on my LCD and a
huge 2 on the external monitor. But my LCD is part of the laptop and
I don't see a connector for it. Nevertheless, it works on mine, it
should on the same card on other machines. Sorry I can't help.

--=20
Regards,
Peter Wilkins
Old February 24th 04, 12:51 PM
Sam Carleton

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 at 04:34 GMT, Peter Wilkins wrote:
On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 20:35:10 GMT, "BJ" wrote :

Peter, thanks for your post...you've given me hope. Unlike stasis's
card my 5200 has two connectors, one is VGA, the other is DVI. I
connect my Flat Panel monitor to the DVI and an old VGA monitor to the
VGA on the same card.

Result: the computer boots up on the old monitor and the DVI stays in
self-test mode. The Display properties shows both monitors but they
both identify as #1.

If I click on the "identify" button I get a huge 1 on my LCD and a
huge 2 on the external monitor. But my LCD is part of the laptop and
I don't see a connector for it. Nevertheless, it works on mine, it
should on the same card on other machines. Sorry I can't help.

It is my understanding that there are many companies that make FX 5200
cards. It is also my understanding that there are around 10 different
Nvidia 5200 chips. If both are true, it would not surprize me if you
both had different cards with different abilities.
Old February 24th 04, 07:22 PM
BJ

Solution for me anyways was very simple and pointed out by a Dell forum
member in response to someone else's question:
Press the middle button on the Flat Panel to switch it to Digital mode when
using the DVI cable.
http://forum.us.dell.com/supportforu...onitors#M71825
(bottom of forum)
I hope this helps someone else.

So, despite what 2 seperate Dell support personnel told me, my card DOES
support dual monitors.