I played a new system this weekend

Old February 2nd 04, 04:35 PM
nut cracker

Default I played a new system this weekend

I was at a place called Microcenter in Chicago. They had a one-off gaming
rig, assembled by some company I had never heard of. It claimed to have 1G
ram, an Athlon FX 64, and an nVidia FX 5950 Ultra.

I played MaxPayne II, and Unreal II.

It was pretty... but I was left unimpressed. for $3000 I thought it would be
more responsive.

Just thought i would share...

NuTs

Old February 2nd 04, 05:21 PM
Dave

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 10:35:46 -0600, nut cracker wrote:

I was at a place called Microcenter in Chicago. They had a one-off gaming
rig, assembled by some company I had never heard of. It claimed to have 1G
ram, an Athlon FX 64, and an nVidia FX 5950 Ultra.

I played MaxPayne II, and Unreal II.

It was pretty... but I was left unimpressed. for $3000 I thought it would be
more responsive.

Just thought i would share...

NuTs

I think most of the gaming community found Unreal 2 to be unimpressive
too.

Old February 2nd 04, 05:43 PM
Kai Robinson

"Dave" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 10:35:46 -0600, nut cracker wrote:

I was at a place called Microcenter in Chicago. They had a one-off

gaming
rig, assembled by some company I had never heard of. It claimed to have

1G
ram, an Athlon FX 64, and an nVidia FX 5950 Ultra.

I played MaxPayne II, and Unreal II.

It was pretty... but I was left unimpressed. for $3000 I thought it

would be
more responsive.

Just thought i would share...

NuTs

I think most of the gaming community found Unreal 2 to be unimpressive
too.

I like unreal 2 - excellent weapons, good level design, great characters and
storyline - and a few interesting twists.

Old February 2nd 04, 05:48 PM
Andrew

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 18:43:34 +0100, "Kai Robinson"
wrote:

I like unreal 2 - excellent weapons, good level design, great characters and
storyline - and a few interesting twists.

I am sure Legend will be pleased to hear that someone liked it. They
can put that on their headstone.
please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.
Old February 2nd 04, 06:09 PM
nut cracker

Its like I said... it looked beautiful, and the game play (story line,
etc..) was nice. I liked playing it, but i thought it would be more...
something.

Its just for a 64 bit proc, 1GB of Ram, and the most kick-ass nVidia GPU
available.... I was expecting more. Its not that I am commenting on the game
titles, its my disappointment in my experience with the collection of
hardware. Of course, they may have been running XP32bit and not XP64, which
might have made a difference. I dont know. I guess I expected something...
different. I guess I thought the diff would fell like going from a PIII 750
to an Athlon XP 2100 + (which was HUGE....).... oh well..

I did get a cool black keyboard for like $3.00 though. And some 80MM case
fans with LOOOONNNGGGG 3pin power cables for $6 each. The day wasnt a a
complete loss.

Cheers,

NuTs

"Kai Robinson" wrote in message

. ..

Old February 2nd 04, 07:09 PM
John Lewis

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 17:21:46 +0000, Dave wrote:

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 10:35:46 -0600, nut cracker wrote:

I was at a place called Microcenter in Chicago. They had a one-off gaming
rig, assembled by some company I had never heard of. It claimed to have 1G
ram, an Athlon FX 64, and an nVidia FX 5950 Ultra.

I played MaxPayne II, and Unreal II.

It was pretty... but I was left unimpressed. for $3000 I thought it would be
more responsive.

Just thought i would share...

NuTs

I think most of the gaming community found Unreal 2 to be unimpressive
too.

Yes, Unreal2 and Call of Duty share the dubious honor of being
amongst the shortest SP games released in the past couple of years.
At least COD has a (cheater's field-day) MP mode. Unreal2 never
got a MP update, in spite of many assertions before its release.
COD MP reputedly will get PunkBuster someday.

John Lewis

Old February 4th 04, 08:12 AM
John Lewis

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 13:40:07 +0100, Walter Mitty
wrote:

(John Lewis) brightened my day with his incisive
wit when in he conjectured that:

[...]

Actually there were no assertions before its release.

However they certainly DID release multiplayer : and a very good
multiplayer too.

oops... many apologies... brain f**t.......too much coffee too late
at night....

Thanks to all for setting me straight.

John Lewis

Old February 4th 04, 06:12 PM
Sith Lord

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 10:35:46 -0600 in
alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, "nut cracker"
wrote:

I was at a place called Microcenter in Chicago. They had a one-off gaming
rig, assembled by some company I had never heard of. It claimed to have 1G
ram, an Athlon FX 64, and an nVidia FX 5950 Ultra.

I played MaxPayne II, and Unreal II.

It was pretty... but I was left unimpressed. for $3000 I thought it would be
more responsive.

Just thought i would share...

Those run fine on my rig (XP2000+/512MB/FX5600) so it wouldn't make
much of a difference on faster h/w apart from turning up res and AA,
etc.

Updrade PC Guy Smith General 22 August 15th 04 01:57 AM
Dual processor system vs Single processor system HawkEye_42 General 3 January 27th 04 11:01 AM
Regarding a fix for large system cache in xp LostSoul Ati Videocards 3 January 8th 04 05:56 PM
Multi-boot Windows XP without special software Timothy Daniels General 11 December 12th 03 05:38 AM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan Overclocking 37 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM