5700 ultra a dud

Old January 20th 04, 05:07 AM
Brad

Default 5700 ultra a dud

I have bought seven nvidia based cards. I recently purchased a 5700 Ultra.
What a mistake that was. My old Geforce 3 ti 200 beats it in every game
test that I have. The Geforce 4200 that I have beats the 5700 Ultra by
about 25 to 40 percent in frames per second. I swallowed my pride and
bought an ATI 9800 Pro. The best card that I have had. It will take me a
long time to go back to nividia based cards. Does any one else have this
problem? Thanks.
BTW. I have installed this 5700 Ultra in three different machines and the
card acts the same in all three.

Old January 20th 04, 07:14 AM
NDF

"Brad" wrote in message
I have bought seven nvidia based cards. I recently purchased a 5700

Ultra.
What a mistake that was. My old Geforce 3 ti 200 beats it in every game
test that I have. The Geforce 4200 that I have beats the 5700 Ultra by
about 25 to 40 percent in frames per second. I swallowed my pride and
bought an ATI 9800 Pro. The best card that I have had. It will take me

long time to go back to nividia based cards. Does any one else have this
problem? Thanks.
BTW. I have installed this 5700 Ultra in three different machines and

the
card acts the same in all three.

In the last month I have tried, an FX5200, FX5600, FX5700 Ultra, FX5900 and
Radeon 9800 Pro.

After each play with all of the above nVidia cards I was very dissapointed,
not until I installed the 9800 Pro was I satisfied.

Whilst I have an nVidia nForce II Ultra 400 motherboard and it rocks, I
would never again touch their graphics cards.

Old January 20th 04, 11:33 AM
John Lewis

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 06:14:40 -0000, "NDF" wrote:

"Brad" wrote in message

In the last month I have tried, an FX5200, FX5600, FX5700 Ultra, FX5900 and
Radeon 9800 Pro.

After each play with all of the above nVidia cards I was very dissapointed,
not until I installed the 9800 Pro was I satisfied.

What a nice factual statement. Very informative....

In the last month I have tried a Yugo, a Volkwagen, a Porsche, a
Ferrari, and a Lamborghini. Not until I drove the Lamborghini was
I satisfied.

John Lewis

Old January 20th 04, 12:21 PM
dino

I too have left Nvidia after a unsatisfactory try with an FX5600-256..went
with an ATI9600XT..if I had been in a higher end Nvidia the performance
increase would not have been so drastic..but it was. Both of you 2 have gone
from almost a midline cards to the basic flagship model so performance
should be high..I know my 9600 is about double the performance compared with
my FX. Good luck and enjoy..but I still have 2 other Nvidias that I will not
part with.. a Ti4200VTD8X and my G3Ti200...and never say never..who knows
what is around the next corner...........

Old January 20th 04, 12:35 PM
v56k

Brad wrote:

I have bought seven nvidia based cards. I recently purchased a 5700
Ultra.
What a mistake that was. My old Geforce 3 ti 200 beats it in every game
test that I have. The Geforce 4200 that I have beats the 5700 Ultra by
about 25 to 40 percent in frames per second. I swallowed my pride and
bought an ATI 9800 Pro. The best card that I have had. It will take me
long time to go back to nividia based cards. Does any one else have this
problem? Thanks.
BTW. I have installed this 5700 Ultra in three different machines and
the card acts the same in all three.

I replaced my GeF3 with a FX5800Ultra and it kicks the GF3's ass - faster
FPS, UT2003 with maxed out settings and all the nVidia quality settings on
max (except AA which is on 4x). Also kicks ass in Eve Online (a DX9 game).

Whilst I would not argue its better than a 9800 I would argue that you are
an imbecile if you think its slower than a GF3 Ti200....
Old January 20th 04, 03:07 PM
newsgroups.bellsouth.net

The 5700ultra ( designed to go against the 9600 pro ) is not a 5800ultra (
designed to go against the 9800 pro ). Arguably, the 5700ultra isn't really
a great match to the 9600 pro, and certainly not the 9800 pro that he
compared it too. However, the 5800/5900ultra are pretty good cards - and
the 5950ultra is one of the best. I myself have a 9800 pro, but really only
because back in the day the ATI solution was all I could afford ( I really
liked the GF3 series though, and then the GF4 - not MX ), and I just stuck
with it. ATI mastered DX9 first, so... By the time the 5800ultra came out
I had a softmodded 9500np that I got for nothing comparitively. Then two
more a 9800np, and finally a 9800pro ( no big difference really, I want a
9800xt or better . I got my 9800's for around $300, so I am not going out
and spending more on a nVidia card that I am not familiar with to get
similar performance... Hmmm... Just read a review of the 5900xt, really
nice bang for the buck! Unfortunately, not widely available yet.

Old January 20th 04, 03:43 PM
RL

I just installed a XFX Brand of FX5700 ultra. It installed and set the core
clock to 300mhz. It was designed to run at 475mhz. I did not even notice
or know that was the default setting until I installed coolbits. I think
that there are a lot of FX5700U's being judge running at the lower clock
speed.

Old January 20th 04, 04:03 PM
v56k

newsgroups.bellsouth.net wrote:

The 5700ultra ( designed to go against the 9600 pro ) is not a 5800ultra (
designed to go against the 9800 pro ). Arguably, the 5700ultra isn't
really a great match to the 9600 pro, and certainly not the 9800 pro that
he
compared it too.

Agreed (though the 5800Ultra was designed to go up against the 9700pro and
the 5900Ultra the 9800pro) but even so a 5700Ultra is definately quicker
than a GF3 - I was just stating my experience going from a GF3 albeit to a
5800U not a 5700U. If he was saying his Ti4xxx wasnt and slower then maybe
but not a GF3.
Old January 20th 04, 05:24 PM
Dark Avenger

v56k wrote in message .. .
Brad wrote:

[...]

the FX5800 is not bad, but it's not good either. And does has it's
problems but indeed... has good performance in certain areas.

Be happy with the card! I am sure that one day it will become as known
as the Voodoo cards... a "special" card!
Old January 20th 04, 06:52 PM
Welder63

i replaced my GeForce 3 TI 500 Platinum with a MSI 5700 Ultra, and the
5700 Ultra rocks big time.
no problems whatsoever, and i`m now running KOTOR in top resolution.

sparky