For anyone unhappy with noise form their Leadtek (or other) GeForce...

Old January 20th 04, 11:16 AM
Nick (no dashes)

Default For anyone unhappy with noise form their Leadtek (or other) GeForce...

Get the Zalman ZM80C-HP.

I have the Leadtek A350 GeForceFX 5900 Ultra and was just fed up with
the noise. I have pretty top end PC, with Antec case, Antec PSU, Zalman
CPU cooler and case fans. All silent except the incredibly whiney, rough
and loud Leadtek. I had to turn it off to watch TV, and when using my
computer other in the unit would complain - it was that bad.

My reseller said there is nothing he can do, the Leadtek distributor (in
Aus) said that all powerful cards are noisy (not so, the 9800Pros and
XTs I have heard are quiet) but today I stumbled upon the ZM80C-HP.

I was a bit worried whether it would fit my card or not - which is the
all enclosed 'Twin Turbo Fan II' style, but after ripping all of that
off, I was left with a standard card with holes in the right lpaces.

So - if anyone else is suffering, GET THIS COOLER. And best of all, it
was very cheap. I paid AU$40 for the main unit and another AU$12 for the
optional fan.

My PC is now Silent. Completly. Perfect.

Old January 21st 04, 07:58 AM
Darthy

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:16:47 +1100, "Nick (no dashes)"
wrote:

[...]

Good deal...

In the future, when you "reseller" says all powerful cards are noisy -
tell him to stick it. Go elsewhere.... BTW - the MSI 5900/Ultras are
silent out of the box. I was shocked. My 9800Pro makes some noise,
but no more than my Ti4200 (also MSI)... but generally, it cant be
heard with the other fans running - (3 system / 2 PSU / 1CPU + 2
Maxtor HDs that are almost silent)

But hey, I bought a new CPU fan for a client, it was LOUD! It can be
heard from out of the room! It drowned out my own PC. Took it
back...$20USD POS. Found a used AMD cooler laying about it, it was
much better

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old January 21st 04, 08:15 AM
Nick (no dashes)

Darthy wrote:

Good deal...

In the future, when you "reseller" says all powerful cards are noisy -
tell him to stick it. Go elsewhere.... BTW - the MSI 5900/Ultras are

No - it was the Australia LEADTEK support staff that told me that!!!!! I
called them direct, my reseller said they had had alot of complaints
about the Leadtek twin turbos being noisy. He said he would refund me if
the distributor would take it, so I said I'd call them. They said no
way, that's how it is.

I then emailed Leadtek in the US (their support web site doesn't work
and the listed support email gets returned but I emailed marketing).
Here is the unedited response;

"Thank you for your inquiry

The fan speed could not be fix down to the released A350U. Because the
setting is already in final edition.

Best regards,
Marketing Department, Leadtek Research Inc. "

Translated, that means "tough sh*t"

You can be sure it's the last dollar I spend on a Leadtek product. It
cost me an arm and a leg but after 2 previous Leadtek cards I thought it
was a safe bet! WRONG!

silent out of the box. I was shocked. My 9800Pro makes some noise,
but no more than my Ti4200 (also MSI)... but generally, it cant be
heard with the other fans running - (3 system / 2 PSU / 1CPU + 2
Maxtor HDs that are almost silent)

But hey, I bought a new CPU fan for a client, it was LOUD! It can be
heard from out of the room! It drowned out my own PC. Took it
back...$20USD POS. Found a used AMD cooler laying about it, it was
much better

Have you tried the Salman 7000cu? It realy is quiet, silent and cooled
my 2.8c CPU down 10C lower than stock fan.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

I know I posted this same thing way back, but my first computer had 3.5k
of ram TOTAL. Actually, 5k but 1.5 was needed to load basic so you never
really got at it. I'm still in my 20's so it's not exactly that long
ago!!!!!!! By the time there was dedicated video ram, let along a
whopping 512k of it, computers were no longer 'real'!!!!!

Old January 22nd 04, 09:15 AM
Darthy

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 19:15:23 +1100, "Nick (no dashes)"
wrote:

Darthy wrote:

Good deal...

In the future, when you "reseller" says all powerful cards are noisy -
tell him to stick it. Go elsewhere.... BTW - the MSI 5900/Ultras are

No - it was the Australia LEADTEK support staff that told me that!!!!! I
called them direct, my reseller said they had had alot of complaints
about the Leadtek twin turbos being noisy. He said he would refund me if
the distributor would take it, so I said I'd call them. They said no
way, that's how it is.

oh... I see... Thats a load... they can't say "well - brand B & C is
better than ours". Kinda like the crap company, SOYO "The half
bright power LED is a new standard" - the LED is not defecve - the
board output is ****... others saw it too.

Translated, that means "tough sh*t"

yep.

You can be sure it's the last dollar I spend on a Leadtek product. It
cost me an arm and a leg but after 2 previous Leadtek cards I thought it
was a safe bet! WRONG!

I thought LeadTek had a rather sexy cooling system - a box, kinda star
wars like.... but I was concerned with the noise it may make (wind
tunnel)...

Check out the MSI: http://ap.terrabox.com/rpc/fx

or on www.newegg.com

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

A7N8X-DLX Mic Input Noise Level Inquiry Kylesb Asus Motherboards 4 September 15th 04 05:44 PM
Help Me Find the Noise Marshall Lake General 5 February 10th 04 06:17 PM
Harddisk spinning noise Shep© General 9 October 19th 03 10:07 PM
a7n8x dlx and sound (noise) problems Beemer Biker Asus Motherboards 1 August 5th 03 02:33 PM
Leadtek Geforce 5 5900 Ultra TDH - High pitch noise ! Richard General 0 July 30th 03 02:07 PM