A computer components & hardware forum. HardwareBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » HardwareBanter forum » Video Cards » Nvidia Videocards
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Upgrading from a GF3 need advice plz



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 13th 04, 02:32 PM
I just play music
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Upgrading from a GF3 need advice plz

i have a gainward gf3
i play daoc alot and played SWG for a while(might go back some day)
my system is a P4 2GHz
512 megs pc2100 DDR
(compaq presario 6000 [6031CL])
xp-home
sylvania f97 19 inch monitor
I need a better card
anyone know of a compairison chart with gf3 at the bottem that would show me
what my options are?
still unsure if i want to buy another nvidia or go ati
i know most new cards are better than my gf3
but i have also heard that some of them arent that much better.
i cant spend a ton of money but would like to be happy with my next card for
at least a year or so

thanks for any advice


  #2  
Old January 13th 04, 04:08 PM
RL
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Check toms hardware lots of graphs, etc.

"I just play music" wrote in message
...
i have a gainward gf3
i play daoc alot and played SWG for a while(might go back some day)
my system is a P4 2GHz
512 megs pc2100 DDR
(compaq presario 6000 [6031CL])
xp-home
sylvania f97 19 inch monitor
I need a better card
anyone know of a compairison chart with gf3 at the bottem that would show

me
what my options are?
still unsure if i want to buy another nvidia or go ati
i know most new cards are better than my gf3
but i have also heard that some of them arent that much better.
i cant spend a ton of money but would like to be happy with my next card

for
at least a year or so

thanks for any advice





  #3  
Old January 13th 04, 07:49 PM
Jeremy Stanley
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

i have a gainward gf3
....
i know most new cards are better than my gf3
but i have also heard that some of them arent that much better.


GF4 MX or Radeon 9000/9200 are slower than your GF3.

Radeon 8500/9100 might be a tad faster in some apps, but certainly not
worth the upgrade.

GF FX 5200 isn't a worthwhile upgrade either. DX9 support on paper,
but not enough horsepower to make it useful.

i cant spend a ton of money but would like to be happy with my next card for
at least a year or so


Get at least a GF FX 5700 or Radeon 9600 ($150-$200 depending on
whether it's "Ultra/Pro" or not). You might be able to get an FX5900
(non-ultra) or Radeon 9700 (non-pro) for just a little more.

If you don't want to spend $150, then I'd suggest sticking with your
GF3 until FX5700/Radeon 9600 prices fall to your liking. Anything
less wouldn't be a worthwhile upgrade, IMO.
  #4  
Old January 14th 04, 09:52 AM
Darthy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Go to this site:
http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic...ournament_2003

Best thing for you to get:

$135~160 - ATi 9600Pro/XT
$190~220 - FX5900 or ATI9800



On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 06:32:54 -0800, "I just play music"
wrote:

i have a gainward gf3
i play daoc alot and played SWG for a while(might go back some day)
my system is a P4 2GHz
512 megs pc2100 DDR
(compaq presario 6000 [6031CL])
xp-home
sylvania f97 19 inch monitor
I need a better card
anyone know of a compairison chart with gf3 at the bottem that would show me
what my options are?
still unsure if i want to buy another nvidia or go ati
i know most new cards are better than my gf3
but i have also heard that some of them arent that much better.
i cant spend a ton of money but would like to be happy with my next card for
at least a year or so

thanks for any advice



--
Remember when real men used Real computers!?
When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
  #5  
Old January 15th 04, 02:52 PM
neopolaris
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

What a pathetic, bought-out site Toms has become. Sad really.

Where the **** are the GF3 cards on that chart? They are not there.
Why? Because they still kick up on too many newer cards.
Pathetic Tom

Darthy wrote:
Go to this site:

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic...ournament_2003

Best thing for you to get:

$135~160 - ATi 9600Pro/XT
$190~220 - FX5900 or ATI9800



On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 06:32:54 -0800, "I just play music"
wrote:

i have a gainward gf3
i play daoc alot and played SWG for a while(might go back some day)
my system is a P4 2GHz
512 megs pc2100 DDR
(compaq presario 6000 [6031CL])
xp-home
sylvania f97 19 inch monitor
I need a better card
anyone know of a compairison chart with gf3 at the bottem that would
show me what my options are?
still unsure if i want to buy another nvidia or go ati
i know most new cards are better than my gf3
but i have also heard that some of them arent that much better.
i cant spend a ton of money but would like to be happy with my next
card for at least a year or so

thanks for any advice



  #6  
Old January 17th 04, 12:08 PM
Darthy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 09:52:09 -0500, "neopolaris" . wrote:

What a pathetic, bought-out site Toms has become. Sad really.

Where the **** are the GF3 cards on that chart? They are not there.
Why? Because they still kick up on too many newer cards.
Pathetic Tom


I don't see a problem with it... I mean, yes it would be kind of
nice... but as it is, they already have a TON of cards to test.

The GF3 is a 3 year old product... with todays game, compariable
products a ATi 9200Pro or fx5200Pro.

What is bought out?

Remember, the GF3 and GF3 Ti500 were once $400 video cards... which
aren't great for games like UT2003, but will play with very low
settings. Now, you can buy a $75~100 video that's has about the same
power.


--
Remember when real men used Real computers!?
When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
  #7  
Old January 17th 04, 06:48 PM
neopolaris
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default



Darthy wrote:
On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 09:52:09 -0500, "neopolaris" . wrote:

What a pathetic, bought-out site Toms has become. Sad really.

Where the **** are the GF3 cards on that chart? They are not there.
Why? Because they still kick up on too many newer cards.
Pathetic Tom


I don't see a problem with it... I mean, yes it would be kind of
nice... but as it is, they already have a TON of cards to test.

The GF3 is a 3 year old product... with todays game, compariable
products a ATi 9200Pro or fx5200Pro.

What is bought out?

Remember, the GF3 and GF3 Ti500 were once $400 video cards... which
aren't great for games like UT2003, but will play with very low
settings. Now, you can buy a $75~100 video that's has about the same
power.


Very low settings? I have yet to notice that. You read at Tom's too much.
If some of those doggy boards are on "thee list", than so should the GF3.
There is really nothing to dispute.


  #8  
Old January 18th 04, 11:15 AM
Darthy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 13:48:59 -0500, "neopolaris" . wrote:



Darthy wrote:
On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 09:52:09 -0500, "neopolaris" . wrote:

What a pathetic, bought-out site Toms has become. Sad really.

Where the **** are the GF3 cards on that chart? They are not there.
Why? Because they still kick up on too many newer cards.
Pathetic Tom


I don't see a problem with it... I mean, yes it would be kind of
nice... but as it is, they already have a TON of cards to test.

The GF3 is a 3 year old product... with todays game, compariable
products a ATi 9200Pro or fx5200Pro.

What is bought out?

Remember, the GF3 and GF3 Ti500 were once $400 video cards... which
aren't great for games like UT2003, but will play with very low
settings. Now, you can buy a $75~100 video that's has about the same
power.


Very low settings? I have yet to notice that. You read at Tom's too much.
If some of those doggy boards are on "thee list", than so should the GF3.
There is really nothing to dispute.


Havent been to toms for a long time... not much.

I used to OWN a GF3 card, still have my Ti4200...

For the LEVEL of quality I like to play my games, GF3 no longer cuts
it... and my GF3 was a great little card.

The OP was asking for advise for upgrading...


--
Remember when real men used Real computers!?
When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
  #9  
Old January 21st 04, 01:22 AM
neopolaris
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default



Darthy wrote:
On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 13:48:59 -0500, "neopolaris" . wrote:



Darthy wrote:
On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 09:52:09 -0500, "neopolaris" . wrote:

What a pathetic, bought-out site Toms has become. Sad really.

Where the **** are the GF3 cards on that chart? They are not
there. Why? Because they still kick up on too many newer cards.
Pathetic Tom

I don't see a problem with it... I mean, yes it would be kind of
nice... but as it is, they already have a TON of cards to test.

The GF3 is a 3 year old product... with todays game, compariable
products a ATi 9200Pro or fx5200Pro.

What is bought out?

Remember, the GF3 and GF3 Ti500 were once $400 video cards... which
aren't great for games like UT2003, but will play with very low
settings. Now, you can buy a $75~100 video that's has about the
same power.


Very low settings? I have yet to notice that. You read at Tom's too
much. If some of those doggy boards are on "thee list", than so
should the GF3. There is really nothing to dispute.


Havent been to toms for a long time... not much.

I used to OWN a GF3 card, still have my Ti4200...

For the LEVEL of quality I like to play my games, GF3 no longer cuts
it... and my GF3 was a great little card.

The OP was asking for advise for upgrading...


And hense the misdirection of a Toms Bardware guide was gonna help....pffft


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice on upgrading HD in an old dell Apollo General 7 February 26th 05 07:04 PM
Upgrading want Advice newsreader AMD x86-64 Processors 15 December 24th 04 04:18 AM
HELP - advice please on options for upgrading Duron system Dee Overclocking AMD Processors 6 October 8th 04 11:11 AM
advice on upgrading? Charles Herold Homebuilt PC's 5 April 9th 04 11:19 PM
upgrading advice Ted Asus Motherboards 8 July 30th 03 02:17 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 HardwareBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.