Nforce drivers / updating

Old December 26th 03, 01:16 PM
Colin Wilson

Default Nforce drivers / updating

Is there supposed to be a specific way to update the mobo drivers ?

I recently tried to update using the drivers from the nv website on an
Asus A7N266-VM-SE running win98se, and the only thing I could really see
about driver installation was something about setting the screen res
before rebooting.

....The install failed part-way through, and the machine has now become
unstable in normal use - although the LAN is now working which it didn`t
before !

Do you need to try to uninstall all existing drivers prior to updating ?

(I know the gfx card drivers for standalone cards need the old drivers
either uninstalling, or setting to plain vga or you start to get
installation problems)

TIA :-}

Old December 26th 03, 06:04 PM
DaveL

No special method. I have upgraded mine and never needed to uninstall
first. Your best upgrade is going to Windows XP. Win98 has always been
flaky on the Nforce. Then again, you may just have a situation where your
Nforce board simply does not like your memory. This is a common problem.

Dave

t...

Old December 26th 03, 06:16 PM
Colin Wilson

Then again, you may just have a situation where your Nforce board
simply does not like your memory. This is a common problem.

I`m hoping this isn`t the case, i`m using matched memory from Crucial :-}

Old December 26th 03, 08:42 PM
DaveL

Since you have Crucial then I doubt you have a problem with the memory. I
have built four Nforce systems (all different motherboards) using Crucial
memory and they all work well, no stability problems.

Old December 26th 03, 10:52 PM
Colin Wilson

Since you have Crucial then I doubt you have a problem with the memory. I
have built four Nforce systems (all different motherboards) using Crucial
memory and they all work well, no stability problems.

Got any tips on updating the drivers then by any chance ?

Just reinstall direct over the top of what`s already in from a normal
boot ?

Old December 27th 03, 06:08 PM
DaveL

Yeah, right over the top. If you have a stand alone video card, load the
driver for it afterwards. Don't load the IDE driver. It gives you a chance
to opt out of that. Use the MS ide driver.

Old December 27th 03, 07:40 PM
Colin Wilson

Yeah, right over the top snip
Don't load the IDE driver. It gives you a chance to opt out of that.
Use the MS ide driver.

Ahh ok, that`s interesting... i`ll keep my eyes open and see if I can
spot any reasons for this (only ever heard the same said about SiS
chipsets before now)

Please Help Mary Ati Videocards 36 February 29th 04 08:28 PM
New nVidia nForce drivers, version.3.13 Sam Asus Motherboards 8 November 3rd 03 09:44 PM
nforce drivers problem Gaz Asus Motherboards 0 October 20th 03 01:47 PM
Updating drivers in XP [email protected] Matrox Videocards 0 July 28th 03 03:57 PM
Prob updating WinFast drivers on GF3 Ti200 JJ Nvidia Videocards 0 June 28th 03 02:42 PM