AMD K-6 450 MhZ too slow?

Old November 26th 03, 04:19 AM
Tim

Default AMD K-6 450 MhZ too slow?

I have a Compaq 5360:
AMD K-6 450 MhZ with 384 megs of RAM

I know how to disable the onboard video, but I want to know if it is
worth trying a GEFORCE-2 MX400 card, or is my computer too slow to
make it run properly... I've heard some good things about the card,
but am worried my system is too slow...

Tim
Old November 26th 03, 09:57 AM
Derek Baker

om...

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/...rce2mx-13.html

--
Derek

Old November 26th 03, 10:40 AM
Lenny

I know how to disable the onboard video, but I want to know if it is
worth trying a GEFORCE-2 MX400 card, or is my computer too slow to
make it run properly...

The K6 motherboards are all very bad by modern standards, and some of them
have AGP incompatibilities which might prevent the graphics card from
functioning properly. It is also a VERY slow CPU by todays' standards, so
you can't expect to run anything recent on it, or even from a couple years
ago, or you might get very frustrated.

I've heard some good things about the card,
but am worried my system is too slow...

Yeah, well, "some good things" maybe when the MX series was new several
years ago, but really, it was a budget chip then and it is definitely even
more of a budget chip now. If you haven't bought it yet, don't pay more than
like, $25, because that's about all it's worth today.

Old November 26th 03, 10:03 PM
Lenny

Games like Quake 3, Unreal, Serious Sam should all run fine on that
machine

Serious sam? Very doubtful. Either one turns off ALL the eye candy or it's
Jerk City Here I Come!

Q3 is going to be very choppy with a few bots running around.

You might
even be able to get games like Wolfenstein and Medal of Honour to run at

low
resolutions...

I never played MoH, but Wolfenstein? Forget it. Even with vertex lighting
that game's going to chug so bad you wouldn't believe it. It's not the video
card that would be holding it back, but the super slow-ass CPU.

Somehow I doubt MoH is going to be one bit better, possibly WORSE.

Old November 27th 03, 03:43 AM
Thomas

"Lenny" wrote in message

Games like Quake 3, Unreal, Serious Sam should all run fine on that
machine

Serious sam? Very doubtful. Either one turns off ALL the eye candy or it's
Jerk City Here I Come!

Q3 is going to be very choppy with a few bots running around.

q3 is a 4 year old game - you under the impression that everyone had radeon
9700's and 2 Ghz machines back then? Serious Sam was quite well known when
it was released for running well on low end machines.

You might
even be able to get games like Wolfenstein and Medal of Honour to run at

low
resolutions...

I never played MoH, but Wolfenstein? Forget it. Even with vertex lighting
that game's going to chug so bad you wouldn't believe it. It's not the

video
card that would be holding it back, but the super slow-ass CPU.

Somehow I doubt MoH is going to be one bit better, possibly WORSE.

Having run *all* those games on a p3 550 with basically the same video card
a couple of years ago, I can tell you, from experience, they *will* run, and
reasonably smooth at that.

Dropping the resolution to 800 x 600 will do wonders for games like that.

Tom

Old November 27th 03, 09:35 AM
Lenny

Q3 is going to be very choppy with a few bots running around.

q3 is a 4 year old game - you under the impression that everyone had

radeon
9700's and 2 Ghz machines back then?

Unlike you, I have actually TESTED running Q3 on a system like the original
poster's, and trust me. The game runs just like I said!

The K6 series isn't a fast gaming CPU at all, no matter how high you clock
it.

Serious Sam was quite well known when
it was released for running well on low end machines.

"Low-end machines" is a pretty vague statement, SS is newer than Q3A, so a
low-end machine for SS might well have been an upper-mid-range machine for
Q3A, maybe even a high-end machine.

It's actually more demanding than Q3A, since it uses more advanced features
like shadow buffers, detail textures etc. You'd have to turn that all off to
get it to run anything near decent speed on a K6 machine.

Having run *all* those games on a p3 550 with basically the same video

card
a couple of years ago, I can tell you, from experience, they *will* run,

and
reasonably smooth at that.

A P3 550MHz is a lot Lot LOT faster than a K6 at 450! You simply don't know
what you're talking about, so no point arguing with me! Unless you've
actually tried it yourself you shouldn't even open your mouth on the
subject. And yes, I've run Wolf too on a system similar to the OP's, it is a
horrendous experience even at 640, low-res textures, vertex lighting.

Dropping the resolution to 800 x 600 will do wonders for games like that.

DUDE! Like I said, it's not a videocard thing. It's because of the slow K6-2
CPU with a rotten non-pipelined FPU, which also lacks on-die L2 cache btw,
and relies on a very slow 100MHz system bus, coupled to very slow memory and
AGP controllers. Memory bandwidth of a K6 system is maybe half that of a
comparable P2 system, and even less compared to a 133MHz P3 system.

You don't know what you're talking about. Like I said.

Old November 27th 03, 10:48 AM
Dark Avenger

"Thomas" wrote in message . cable.rogers.com...
"Lenny" wrote in message

[...]

A k6-2 is not really a good processor... the P III might indeed have
some performance, the K6-2 hasn't!

Only from the K7 AMD finally caught the wind!

So performance seen the K6-2 450Mhz is like a 300Mhz Pentium ....