CPU Bottleneck

Old December 12th 03, 03:24 AM

Default CPU Bottleneck

Even though I just bought the card and currently want a better one I would
say get a GeForceFX 5200 if your on a budget. I hate to say it but, you
might need a lot of ram unless you can upgrade the cpu. If you could budget
at least $250 then go to pricewatch and I think you should be able to find a
good motherboard/CPU combo for at least $100 then just use the left over
money for the 5200FX.
"Neil Turner" wrote in message
Suppose I have a 1.2GHz P3 CPU, and I'm very interested in image quality,
not absurd frame rates, but enough to play things like god sims (Black &
White), flight sims and stuff smoothly.

How far up the Nvidia range is it worth considering going? Almost

certainly
my system won't do justice to the GF FX5900's. Would a GF4 Ti4600 be a
sensible limit, or is there something in the FX range which would be

better?

Ta.

Neil

I currently use a Voodoo5, but the driver support isn't going to stretch

DX9 on W98 (I don't think), and I've a feeling B&W II is being advertised

as
requiring DX9, so I'll at least need a card that can do DX9 (even if its
only in software).

Old December 12th 03, 08:58 AM
Darthy

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 23:47:19 -0000, "Neil Turner"
wrote:

Suppose I have a 1.2GHz P3 CPU, and I'm very interested in image quality,
not absurd frame rates, but enough to play things like god sims (Black &
White), flight sims and stuff smoothly.

How far up the Nvidia range is it worth considering going? Almost certainly
my system won't do justice to the GF FX5900's. Would a GF4 Ti4600 be a
sensible limit, or is there something in the FX range which would be better?

With your CPU, unless youre upgrading your system (You're using OLD
tech - AMD is moving to 64bit CPUs that have been shipping for months)

The $75 Ti4200 would still be waiting for your CPU to catch up... best
bang for your money. www.pricewatch.com - MSI brand video card.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!