NVIDIA Linux Driver Install on Mandrake 9.1

Old November 13th 03, 04:00 PM
sid

Default NVIDIA Linux Driver Install on Mandrake 9.1

Steve Mowbray wrote:

On reboot - X fails to start - nvidia module is not loaded and the
/dev/nvidia* device files are missing.

Check to see if the line "alias /dev/nvidia* nvidia" is in your
/etc/modules.conf

hth
--
sid
RLU 300284 Mdk 9.2 2.4.22-21mm.1mdkcustom
Old November 13th 03, 04:54 PM
baskitcaise

sid wrote:

Steve Mowbray wrote:

On reboot - X fails to start - nvidia module is not loaded and the
/dev/nvidia* device files are missing.

Check to see if the line "alias /dev/nvidia* nvidia" is in your
/etc/modules.conf

hth

If you have probs with it not starting try changing the Option "NvAGP" "?" to
Option "NvAGP" "1" in the XF86Config ( not sure on mandrake might be
XF86Config-4 ) file in /etv/X11/ this will use the Nvidia gart built into the
modules instead of the kernel one.

--
Mark
Twixt hill and high water.
Old November 13th 03, 06:56 PM
Steve Mowbray

"sid" wrote in message
Steve Mowbray wrote:

On reboot - X fails to start - nvidia module is not loaded and the
/dev/nvidia* device files are missing.

Check to see if the line "alias /dev/nvidia* nvidia" is in your
/etc/modules.conf

Now I am confused - this alias is not listed in the NVidia instructions and
in any case during install '/dev/nvidia0' and '/dev/nvidiactl' are created
okay - they disappear on reboot.

Can you explain what the effect of this alias is or why it is recommended -
thanks.

hth

Old November 13th 03, 07:26 PM
Steve Mowbray

"baskitcaise" wrote in message
sid wrote:

Steve Mowbray wrote:

On reboot - X fails to start - nvidia module is not loaded and the
/dev/nvidia* device files are missing.

Check to see if the line "alias /dev/nvidia* nvidia" is in your
/etc/modules.conf

hth

If you have probs with it not starting try changing the Option "NvAGP" "?"

Option "NvAGP" "1" in the XF86Config ( not sure on mandrake might be
XF86Config-4 ) file in /etv/X11/ this will use the Nvidia gart built into

the
modules instead of the kernel one.

Thanks for that tip - it has fixed the minor problem (error msg localhost
kernel : 0 : NVRM : AGPGART : unable to retrieve symbol table) however the
main problem of failing on reboot remains.

I read through this driver config option and assumed that the default value
of 3 (try AGPGART then NVIDIA-AGP) would have been sufficient - could be
that it is and the message was reporting the AGPGART try failure but then
getting the NVidia internal support okay.

Old November 14th 03, 08:33 AM
baskitcaise

Steve Mowbray wrote:

"sid" wrote in message
Steve Mowbray wrote:

On reboot - X fails to start - nvidia module is not loaded and the
/dev/nvidia* device files are missing.

Check to see if the line "alias /dev/nvidia* nvidia" is in your
/etc/modules.conf

Now I am confused - this alias is not listed in the NVidia instructions and
in any case during install '/dev/nvidia0' and '/dev/nvidiactl' are created
okay - they disappear on reboot.

Can you explain what the effect of this alias is or why it is recommended -
thanks.

There should be an entry near the bottom of the /etc/modules.conf:-

alias char-major-195 nvidia

This is on a Suse 9.0 box so it might be slightly different on mandrake, the
modules.conf file is parsed on boot and all modules that are in there and
uncommented are prepared so that they can be used on demand ( not exactly how
it works but good enough explanation at the mo ).

If there is no entry in the modules.conf or it is commented out then the
system does not know about it and so can`t set it up and use it.

I would also suggest that you have a look on the nvidia forums ( from the
nvidia website ) there are a lot of very knowledgeable people there that may
have seen your problem before, it might be specific to mandrake or something,
suse was slightly different with the nvidia stuff.

HTH

Old November 14th 03, 03:25 PM
Steve Mowbray

Steve Mowbray wrote:

"sid" wrote in message
Steve Mowbray wrote:

On reboot - X fails to start - nvidia module is not loaded and the
/dev/nvidia* device files are missing.

Check to see if the line "alias /dev/nvidia* nvidia" is in your
/etc/modules.conf

Now I am confused - this alias is not listed in the NVidia instructions

and
in any case during install '/dev/nvidia0' and '/dev/nvidiactl' are

created
okay - they disappear on reboot.

Can you explain what the effect of this alias is or why it is

recommended -
thanks.

There should be an entry near the bottom of the /etc/modules.conf:-

alias char-major-195 nvidia

Got that.

This is on a Suse 9.0 box so it might be slightly different on mandrake,

the
modules.conf file is parsed on boot and all modules that are in there and
uncommented are prepared so that they can be used on demand ( not exactly

how
it works but good enough explanation at the mo ).

If there is no entry in the modules.conf or it is commented out then the
system does not know about it and so can`t set it up and use it.

I would also suggest that you have a look on the nvidia forums ( from the
nvidia website ) there are a lot of very knowledgeable people there that

may
have seen your problem before, it might be specific to mandrake or

something,
suse was slightly different with the nvidia stuff.

Will do - many thanks for your help.

HTH