Voodoo 5 question

Old November 1st 03, 04:41 PM
god

Default Voodoo 5 question

nevermind, i have no question other then why are you idiots using nvidia
sheit?

There is a solution!"

http://www.giantcompany.com

Old November 1st 03, 05:39 PM
Ski

nevermind, i have no question other then why are you idiots using nvidia
sheit?

'cause it works, if you're smart enough to configure it...and I don't have to
send my money to those pesky dollar-devaluating canadians to buy it?

What'da I win?

Ski
"The only way to find out how far is too far...
is to go there"
(remove spleen to e-mail)
Old November 1st 03, 06:55 PM
Sept1967

Probably because I had to give up my Voodoo5 since WindowsXP doesnt support
Glide - and games dont anymore either. And my car isnt even 5 years old, so
I wont use Win98se just to have a Voodoo5 still running. I was a BIG 3dFx
fan, and was sorry to see them go.

Old November 1st 03, 07:52 PM
Outback Jon

Sept1967 wrote:
Probably because I had to give up my Voodoo5 since WindowsXP doesnt
support Glide - and games dont anymore either. And my car isnt even 5
years old, so I wont use Win98se just to have a Voodoo5 still
running. I was a BIG 3dFx fan, and was sorry to see them go.

I'm still using a Voodoo3 to run a second monitor. Along with my GeForce3
Ti200 for my primary monitor. IIRC, I paid something like $179 for my
Voodoo3... Back when they were one of the best cards for gaming... I still
play one game that supports it, SWAT3, but I play it using the GeForce
card...

--
"Outback" Jon Gould | Let those who RIDE,
2003 Kawasaki Concours (wreck)|
| HELMET LAWS SUCK
CQ CQ CQ de KC2BNE |
______________________________|___________________ _________
AMD XP 1700+ @ 1540 MHz 768M PC2100 DDR @ 280 MHz
Soyo K7V Dragon Plus 120GB and 40GB Maxtor HD
Asus GeForce3 Ti200 (220/460) Acer 24x10x40 CDRW
Cornerstone 21" Monitor Nostromo n50 Speedpad

In war, when a commander becomes so bereft of reason and
perspective that he fails to understand the dependence of
arms on Divine guidance, he no longer deserves victory.
-Douglas MacArthur

Old November 1st 03, 08:34 PM
phobos

god wrote:

nevermind, i have no question other then why are you idiots using nvidia
sheit?

[rimshot] badump-ching! [/rimshot]

The V5 was a really great card for that short time period it existed.
Everyone I've read whose got their mits on one says it's really a fun
card overall.

Not nearly as fast as todays stuff, but it had most of the things we now
use - Multisample Antialiasing algorithems (which NVidia later
incorporated into the GF3 CineFX(1) engine), basic anisotropy, zbuffer
culling, etc.

Keep in mind though that the Voodoo never really died. NVidia has taken
a lot of the ideas the last 3dFX designers thought up and tried
incorporating little bits of them into the current product lines. MSAA
is a direct decendent of the V4/V5 full screen antialiasing method.

Quincunx is a simplified example of that. Use a jittered grid,
rotated(?), only sample the neighboring edge pixels in a pseudo 2x1
fashion, then apply post process filtering to achieve an almost 5 sample
quality (4x FSAA is 8 sample) - pretty much the V5 method.

I even remember the two being compared; the Geforce with Supersampling
versus the V5's Multisampling method and the controversy over blurring,
etc. Now everyone uses optimized MSAA methods.

Old November 2nd 03, 02:03 AM
Larry Roberts

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 11:41:23 -0500, "god"
wrote:

nevermind, i have no question other then why are you idiots using nvidia
sheit?

Because 3DFX went out of buisiness!
Old November 2nd 03, 07:42 AM
Kokoro

In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, god ordered an army of hamsters to
type:

nevermind, i have no question other then why are you idiots using nvidia
sheit?

because theres an FX in GeforceFX
Old November 4th 03, 05:41 AM
ec

"phobos" wrote in message
god wrote:

[...]

3dfx used RGSS ( rotated grid supersampling )

Old November 4th 03, 05:43 AM
ec

"ec" wrote in message news:OZGpb.1577$Zb7.209@fed1read01...

"phobos" wrote in message
god wrote:

[...]

BTW:

Source: http://www.riva3d.com/fsaa.html

3dfx never used multisampling, all their AA was RGSS. You can read about it
pretty much anywhere.

Old November 4th 03, 05:47 AM
ec

"phobos" wrote in message
god wrote:

[...]

Ack, one more good rad about 3dfx's old RGSS:

http://www.voodoofiles.com/3dfx/fsaa.asp