Card question

Old October 31st 03, 10:26 PM
BF

Default Card question

A friend of my brothers is going to build a computer for him. Sounds like a
very reasonable deal except for the video card which is a Geforce2 MX-200. I
told my brother to look into a better card but he doesn't have a lot of
money to spend. I just saw a FX 5200 for $65. How much better would it be
than the G2 MX-200?

Old October 31st 03, 11:49 PM
Sith Lord

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 22:26:40 GMT in
alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, "BF" wrote:

A friend of my brothers is going to build a computer for him. Sounds like a
very reasonable deal except for the video card which is a Geforce2 MX-200. I
told my brother to look into a better card but he doesn't have a lot of
money to spend. I just saw a FX 5200 for $65. How much better would it be
than the G2 MX-200?

Whilst not a high spec card in itself, compared to a GF2 MX, it will
blow it's socks off.

Old November 1st 03, 01:04 AM
phobos

BF wrote:

A friend of my brothers is going to build a computer for him. Sounds like a
very reasonable deal except for the video card which is a Geforce2 MX-200. I
told my brother to look into a better card but he doesn't have a lot of
money to spend. I just saw a FX 5200 for $65. How much better would it be
than the G2 MX-200?

MUCH MUCH better. The MX-200 was underpowered by even GF2MX standards
(it was a later crappier version of the traditional MX with slower RAM
lower clock speeds, and I believe only a 64-bit wide bus).

I've seen local shops selling old GF4MX and GF2MX-100/200 cards for
about the same price was FX5200's for some reason, so definitely go for
the 5200.

Old November 1st 03, 12:06 PM
Darthy

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 22:26:40 GMT, "BF" wrote:

A friend of my brothers is going to build a computer for him. Sounds like a
very reasonable deal except for the video card which is a Geforce2 MX-200. I
told my brother to look into a better card but he doesn't have a lot of
money to spend. I just saw a FX 5200 for $65. How much better would it be
than the G2 MX-200?

uh.... pay $15 more and get the GF4 Ti4200 and it'll blow away any
5200 card. www.pricewatch.com - MSI model rocks.

PS: The new system should be an AMD computer, it will save your
brother a lot of money and get good performance.

For about $500, you can build a kick ass AMD-2500 system with
firewire, good case, 512mb and Ti4200 card.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old November 2nd 03, 02:41 AM
Helion

I agree with other posts... 5200 is the best of the MX class cards and you
get DX9 support whereas the GF4/MX and older cards have DX7 support.

. ..

Old November 2nd 03, 04:59 AM
Sept1967

OK. it has DX9. But take a close look at the card's horsepower,

Core 256-bit
Memory 10.4GB/sec.
Fill Rate 1.3 billion texels/sec.

Now look at my 2 year old GF3 Ti200
Core 256-bit
Memory 6.4GB/Sec.
Fill Rate 2.8 Billion AA Samples/Sec.

"Helion" wrote in message
. com...
I agree with other posts... 5200 is the best of the MX class cards and you
get DX9 support whereas the GF4/MX and older cards have DX7 support.

. ..

Old November 2nd 03, 05:20 AM
Helion

Was referring to the MX series as indicated in original post. The GF3/TI
definitely faster than the MX series.

"Sept1967" wrote in message
OK. it has DX9. But take a close look at the card's horsepower,

Core 256-bit
Memory 10.4GB/sec.
Fill Rate 1.3 billion texels/sec.

Now look at my 2 year old GF3 Ti200
Core 256-bit
Memory 6.4GB/Sec.
Fill Rate 2.8 Billion AA Samples/Sec.

"Helion" wrote in message
. com...
I agree with other posts... 5200 is the best of the MX class cards and

you
get DX9 support whereas the GF4/MX and older cards have DX7 support.

. ..

Old November 2nd 03, 05:34 AM
J.Clarke

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 20:59:46 -0800
"Sept1967" wrote:

OK. it has DX9. But take a close look at the card's horsepower,

Core 256-bit
Memory 10.4GB/sec.
Fill Rate 1.3 billion texels/sec.

Now look at my 2 year old GF3 Ti200
Core 256-bit
Memory 6.4GB/Sec.
Fill Rate 2.8 Billion AA Samples/Sec.

Gee, when did they make an MX board with a Ti number?

"Helion" wrote in message
. com...
I agree with other posts... 5200 is the best of the MX class cards
and you get DX9 support whereas the GF4/MX and older cards have DX7
support.

"BF" wrote in message
. ..
A friend of my brothers is going to build a computer for him.
Sounds

like
very reasonable deal except for the video card which is a Geforce2

MX-200.
told my brother to look into a better card but he doesn't have a
lot of money to spend. I just saw a FX 5200 for $65. How much
better would it

be
than the G2 MX-200?

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old November 2nd 03, 06:08 PM
Sept1967

So let me understand this, for having DX9, you are willing to give up speed?
You can get a brand new Retail Boxed MSI MS-8879 nVidia GeForce4 Ti 4200
64MB 8x AGP DX8, from pricewatch for $77.95 -or- you can get a crippled FX
for slightly less?

When everyone in the forum knows the 4200 will run freakin circles around
that crippled FX card.

. com...

"Sept1967" wrote in message
OK. it has DX9. But take a close look at the card's horsepower,

Core 256-bit
Memory 10.4GB/sec.
Fill Rate 1.3 billion texels/sec.

Now look at my 2 year old GF3 Ti200
Core 256-bit
Memory 6.4GB/Sec.
Fill Rate 2.8 Billion AA Samples/Sec.

"Helion" wrote in message
. com...
I agree with other posts... 5200 is the best of the MX class cards and

you
get DX9 support whereas the GF4/MX and older cards have DX7 support.

. ..