Personal Cinema kit

Old October 19th 03, 01:18 PM
dmo

Default Personal Cinema kit

For years now, I've wanted to make a PC which is a genuine 'set top box'. I
want something that will not only allow me to do 'normal' PC stuff, but I
want it to replace my DVD player, VHS recorder etc.

Having seen the wonderful Shuttle micro cases, I'm now definitely tempted to
put together something. It seems to me that the video card is the single
most important component. I came across the Microstar Personal Cinema card,
which seems quite close to what I want

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/v...ersonal_Cinema

Before I dash out and buy this kit, I'd love to hear from somebody who has
tried it (or an equivalent).

These are the 3 things I want to do with it:
1. Use PC normally and view DVDs/TV on main PC display and/or TV
2. Programmable recording of TV or Satellite TV
3. Grab video from DV camcorder or VHS/analog camcorder

I'm pretty sure it will do #1 easily enough, but I'm less convinced about #2
& #3.

#2: Can it actually control a digital satellite box to change channels?
(I've got a Sky digibox in the UK)
#3: Is a modern PC setup able to capture full-screen DVD-quality video?
Would I need to look at a RAID HD setup?

I'm also open to suggestions of other hardware/software which might do what
I want.

Old October 22nd 03, 07:48 PM
Wim The

I just bought one. Looking at the tv quality, you might want to look for
something else.
regards, Wim.

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/v...5200_Personal_